Join our zoo community

Primates park

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Valentin, 27 Mar 2020.

1. Bubalus

Bubalus Well-Known Member

Three collections house the species. A loan female at Jerusalem zoo, a loan male at Newquay zoo and 1.1 at London zoo.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

...and also individuals at Frankfurt, Rostock, Shaldon, Birmingham and Rotterdam :p and possibly at Antwerp, depending on whether their stock is merely offshow or was dispersed.

Also, there are significantly more individuals at London than that. Will root out precise figures anon.

3. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Bubalus Denver arent on ZIMS, which is where I’m assuming you’re getting your information from ;)

4. TeaLovingDave

Right - contacted my usual source for prosimian holdings and have been given the following accurate set of European figures for Northern Dryzone Slender Loris:

4.3 at Antwerp
    2.1 at Birmingham
    2.3 at London
    0.2 at Moscow
    2.2.1 at Newquay
    1.2 at Rostock
    1.2.1 at Rotterdam
    2.1 at Shaldon
    1,1 at Jerusalem

:)

Valentin and ShonenJake13 like this.
  5. Bubalus

Going off the subspecies listed in the original post Loris lydekkerianus nordicus, the Northern Slender Loris, this is all that is listed. The European zoos you listed are Loris lydekkerianus grandis, which is still technically a subspecies coming off Loris lydekkerianus

6. ShonenJake13

So you *are* getting your info from ZIMS! :D

A friend of mine who works as a keeper informed me that the entire European population is in fact nordicus, but that a lot of the population is still listed as grandis. Didn’t realise it was so many....believe the same is true for babirusa on there too (European animals listed as babyrussa, not celebensis).

Side note: you’re right about the aye-ayes, I forgot about the recent death of San Diego’s breeding female. So there are indeed three aye ayes there, and therefore 24 in the US and 55 outside of Madagascar.

7. Bubalus

Yep info from zims, I operate as a studbook keeper so the vast majority of my time is spent on there. If this is to be true, then it is up to us as keepers to be correcting the info presented based on data like this and genetic analysis. Unfortunately the time and resources isn't always quite there. Thank you for the info though

8. TeaLovingDave

Indeed; and of course the quality of ZIMS and similar records (for instance, Zootierliste) can only ever be as good as the accuracy of the information uploaded.

For instance, I am now trying to work out what on earth is going on with the Assam Macaque record you cite at Dresden, as to the best of my knowledge not only are they not at the collection - they have never been at the collection :p perhaps a misidentification from way back when, which has continued being copied over ad-infinitum......

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Was also listed on ISIS way back in 2010 as holding eleven animals. If they have never held them, I'd suggest it was a misplaced entry for another species (maybe arctiodes or something like that) which has never been removed.

10. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Do you know which species of monkeys can be mixed together?

For example, can we mix proboscis monkey and orangutans?

11. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Siamangs and orangutans are relatively well-known mixes. Gorilla and small guenon species are also mixed. :)

Valentin likes this.
  12. ShonenJake13

I would worry for the proboscis monkeys as they’re quite sensitive. Your best bet for mixing something with orangutans would be one of the more hardy langurs (Javan, silvery, Hanuman...) or a species of gibbon or macaque.

Valentin likes this.
  13. Valentin

Ok I thought that an orangutan proboscis monkey cohabitation could be possible but given their fragility ...
    Do they live together in nature?

What about other species?

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Some species like the Superagui lion tamarin here in Brazil are not kept anywhere in captivity nor in their country of origin or overseas. In the case of this particular species , there were calls to take them into captivity for decades but as the population in the wild is so low (around 400 in different metapopulations) and several other reasons more relating to the human dimensions of conservation it was felt that it would be best to conserve them in-situ.

Giant Eland and Valentin like this.
  15. ShonenJake13

In nature they’re found in similar areas but don’t interact together nearly as much as they would be forced to if living together in captivity.

As I said above, your best bet is a gibbon, macaque or ‘hardier’ langur species

16. Valentin

Ok thanks for the info.

No, but when I speak of other species I also speak of South American or African species, not just orangutans.

17. Valentin

And is the tamarin population better today?

18. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, not really afaik :(

Chimpanzees are far too aggressive to be mixed. Gorillas are sometimes mixed with various species of guenon. As mentioned before, siamangs and orangutans but really any species of 'hardy' langur, macaque or gibbon. Orangutans are generally pretty easy going.

Titis can be mixed with lion tamarins and cottontops. There are a few other mixes.

19. ShonenJake13

I’ve seen various lemurs mixed - ring-tailed, ruffed and Eulemur species. I’ve also seen sifakas mixed with gentle lemurs, and mixed with ring-tailed and Eulemur. As for non primates, I’ve seen lemurs mixed with a lot of animals, including euplerids (Madagascan mongooses), birds and tortoises.

A lot of callitrichid (marmoset and tamarin) mixes are possible. I’ve also seen them mixed with saki, titi, night and howler monkey.

Guenons are possible to mix with each other, as well as colobus, mangabey and mandrill/drill. I’ve seen all of these (except the mandrill/drill) mixed with gorillas as well. Chimpanzees and bonobos are a bad idea for mixing with anything due to their tendency to kill smaller primates.

I’ve already stated above what species can be mixed with orangutan. I’ve seen macaque and gibbon mixed, but never a successful mix of langur and gibbon before.

Finally, for nocturnal species, I’ve seen lorises and bushbabies mixed with non-primates (aardvark, rodents, mouse deer), and aye-ayes, mouse lemurs and dwarf lemurs mixed with each other or with non-primates (rodents, tenrecs).

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you refer to Burgers' Zoo, they are only mixed visually, but cannot access eachother's enclosure, the macaques did chase the Siamangs too much, making it an impossible mix.