Join our zoo community

Primates park

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Valentin, 27 Mar 2020.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting! Thanks for letting me know :)

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Personally , I believe it would have benefited enormously from an assurance population kept ex-situ for captive breeding in zoos. This was done successfully with all of the other lion tamarins and managed to achieve some brilliant results. Sadly historically this never happened with the Superagui lion tamarin which was discovered much later than the others (1990) and whose in-situ conservation was much more complicated.

Regarding the tamarin population in the wild , there is a new drive to research metapopulations, their ecology, and to conserve the wider Atlantic rainforest ecosystem which they inhabit in Parana and Sao Paulo States.I guess we will have to see in time how well it is faring, but ultimately it does remain the most threatened of the Leontopithecus species , the least known, and the most in need of a long term conservation intervention.

Last edited: 3 May 2020
  3. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In case it hasn't brought up yet, this is what JMC has according to JAZA's own website.

brown lemur (probably hybrids), common black lemur, ring-tailed lemur, black and white ruffed lemur, Lesser slow loris, Potto, Common marmoset, black tufted marmoset, pygmy marmoset, white-lip tamarin, red-hand tamarin, cotton-top tamarin, white-fronted capuchin, tufted capuchin, White-headed Capuchin, Black-capped Squirrel Monkey, Three-striped Night Monkey, Black Bearded Saki, White-faced Saki, White-fronted Spider Monkey, Geoffroy's Spider Monkey, Red-faced Spider Monkey, Brown Woolly Monkey, Golden-bellied Mangabey, Sykes' monkey, Cercopithecus ascanius schmidti, Cercopithecus cephus cephus, De Brazza's Monkey, Cercopithecus petaurista buettikoferi, Grivet, Patas Monkey, Formosan Rock Macaque, Crab-eating Macaque, Rhesus Monkey, two suspecies of snow monkey, Southern Pig-tailed Macaque, Bonnet Macaque, Lion-tailed Macaque, Toque Macaque, Barbary Macaque, Tibetan Macaque, Mandrill, Angolan Talapoin, Olive Baboon, Hamadryas Baboon, Angola Colobus, Guereza, Silvery Lutung, Francois's Langur, Lar Gibbon, Muller's Bornean Gibbon, Pileated Gibbon, Siamang, Common Chimpanzee, and a very lonely gorilla.

I personally would expect most of these species to be phased out since importing new animals could be difficult due to cites and the local customs.

Entry Monkeys:動物検疫所

There is also another primate park (not counting parks with wild macaques) in Japan called the nasu world monkey park. It also has species that are rare within Japan such as white-throated capuchins and wooly monkeys, but have lost their accreditation since they refused to stop making their monkeys do circus tricks.

Dassie rat and RatioTile like this.
  4. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Anyone have a list of Twycross and Chester species?

Both seem to be big names in the field of primates. What monkeys could we see in these two zoos in the future, I know that Chester plans to welcome gorillas ...

5. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Try ZTL - it is pretty good...

6. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chester keep:

Aye-aye
    Alaotran gentle lemur
    Ring-tailed lemur
    Black lemur
    Crowned lemur
    Red-bellied lemur
    Belted black-and-white ruffed lemur
    Red ruffed lemur
    Eastern pygmy marmoset
    Bearded emperor tamarin
    Pied tamarin
    Golden-headed lion tamarin
    Yellow-breasted capuchin
    Black howler monkey
    Colombian spider monkey
    Sulawesi crested macaque
    Lion-tailed macaque
    Mandrill
    Lar gibbon
    Silvery gibbon
    Bornean orangutan
    Sumatran orangutan
    Chimpanzee

Twycross keep:

Ring-tailed lemur
    Crowned lemur
    Red ruffed lemur
    Pygmy marmoset
    Common marmoset
    Silvery marmoset
    Bearded emperor tamarin
    Black howler monkey
    Brown spider monkey
    Colombian spider monkey
    Red titi monkey
    De Brazza’s monkey
    Diana monkey
    L’Hoest’s monkey
    Black-and-white colobus
    Dusky langur
    François’s langur
    Siamang
    Northern white-cheeked gibbon
    Agile gibbon
    Pileated gibbon
    Bornean orangutan
    Western lowland gorilla
    Chimpanzee
    Bonobo

For future reference however, I do recommend to use Zootierliste for these kinds of questions....

Last edited: 15 Jul 2020
  7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross have in fact reduced the number of species they keep in recent years, mostly by natural attrition. I would not expect them to increase again. Similar with Chester- gorillas maybe yes at some stage though they have talked about having them again for many years without result, while changes/cancellations in planning new exhibits like Heart Of Africa etc seem to delay that still further.

Valentin and ShonenJake13 like this.
  8. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lists.

If I ask is that there is a reason ZTL is inaccessible to me, I do not know why but impossible to open the site.

9. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

It haooens quite a lot with ztl

10. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I'm doing research on Nasu World Monkey Park, and I can't find a full species list. From what I've seen the exhibits are terrible and also bad for photography, but I'd still like to know what they have there.

11. PossumRoach

There isn't much that could be done but to tally the species by using social media which could be outdated. There's this playlist I found on youtube which could give one an idea on what the park has.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmzGxCmreDOGlyzlolI1S0d87j4WqI0NI

I do remember this zoo having a grey tailed titi which are rare or even gone from Japan

RatioTile likes this.
  12. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Gotta say, from the looks of it it's nigh impossible to even see the primates in their cages!

PossumRoach likes this.
  13. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

After a female called "Hira" been sent to Taipei, now Ueno has 5 males and 5 females.

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Good point @Dassie rat and I totally agree.

Dassie rat likes this.
  15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

@Bubalus what is the status of that solitary black lion tamarin kept at the bird park ?

Do you know if it came from Jersey ?

16. PossumRoach

I found this database consisting of the animals JMC once kept or samples received from other collections. There are animals such as bald uakari, agile mangabey, and tree shrews. However there seem to be species lieted without samples and most splits probably aren't recognized.