Join our zoo community

Primatologist

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Valentin, 17 Apr 2020.

?

Are you or are you studying to become an ethologist (primatologist) ?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I open this subject because I think it would have polluted the post devoted to primates in zoos.

So I would have liked to know a little more about this job:
    - missions in nature or in a zoo.
    - the testimony of people exercising it or having done internships.
    - studies (in France there is not really a diploma leading to this profession so some more information on studies whether in France or elsewhere).
    - the testimony of people studying for this job.

There are a lot of requests but I need information.:D

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

The truth is a little more complicated and nuanced than a simple "Yes/No" answer and for me it would have to be "Kind of" because I am considering going down this route maybe in the future. Primates greatly interest me but I am far more interested in the immediate need of their in-situ (to a lesser extent ex-situ) conservation than this field as an academic discipline.

If advancing scientific knowledge about their behavioural ecology is relevant to a species of primates conservation (whether in-situ or ex-situ) then count me in but if it is just a purely scientific endeavour to publish papers or advance a scientific career then (as interesting as it may be) I am not really bothered.

In my opinion the priority HAS to be their real world conservation and especially when you consider that 60% of primates (and it may be even higher than that) are at imminent risk of extinction within this century. I think ivory tower research not directly relevant to this reality really has to take a backseat.

For the first three of the points you raised I can give you some advice that may be of interest via private messaging.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2020
    Valentin likes this.
  3. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you.

Other people involved in this survey?