Join our zoo community

Privat Breeding Centers

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by vogelcommando, 3 Feb 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

2. vogelcommando

3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I found out about this place recently birdsinternational.net

I'm sure many people will know about it already, but I hadn't so I thought it would be interesting to post. There is also a video about them here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8YDGupFhUg

They seem to have huge numbers of many rare parrots, and claim in their mission statement to be ensuring "the conservation, preservation, sustainability and sharing of rare and endangered species of parrots", however, they appear to be breeding a lot of mutations and hybrids.

4. vogelcommando

Thank you for sharing the video LaughingDove, I know the place but didn't know the video.
    Birdinternational is realy one of the largest bird-breeding stations in the world - in the 1990 they claimed to have 10.000 breeding-pairs and wanted to expand to 20.000 - and it was mr. DeDios - owner of Birdinternational - which bred very succesfull with the Spix macaw and it were his birds which were later sold to Al Wabra.
    They also have a large collection of Hornbills and Crowned pigeons.
    In many countries Birdinternational has selected dealers which have the licence to sell the Philippine-bred birds.

5. vogelcommando

6. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

Don't know if you know or not (can't watch links right now, not home) but I will provide some info about TSA for anyone who cares. It was founded by the Fort Worth Zoo, but they have a few centers in other areas in USA and some other countries (one in India for sure). However, unlike many zoo-run alliances like this, they aren't afraid of dealing with private breeders or housers. There is at least one person in New York who takes care of about 2,000 turtles and tortoises, using his (her) own money to do so! The TSA is also one of the largest turtle/tortoise importers for our country- they import loads of them from other countries, many of which are rescued from illegal pet trade. Recently they received approximately 450 specimens from Sulawesi I believe as well as 110 from a private sanctuary. They do TONS of conservation work for turtles and tortoises. :D