Join our zoo community

Leopard and Goat Farm Private Collection in Cornwall

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Marcellus, 5 Sep 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think you need to actually read the posts that have been made in the thread, without the personal chip. This is exactly the thing I said earlier in the thread, where if anyone dares to ask any questions about the topic - the RSCC/the owner/the collection/whatever combination - there are immediate attempts by certain people to attack those asking the questions. Most people can discuss topics, whatever side of that topic they lie on, others prefer to just try to shut it down so that there is no discussion. Which would you prefer to be the case?

2. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

None of which changes the point i made above...listen,this is getting rather tedious but if you actually read Tetrapods comments he actually does make allegations that are rather different to opinion.And if you react to anonymity as sacrosanct beyond all else then that is indeed your "chip" just as the opposite is mine.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I never mentioned anonymity. "Sacrosanct beyond all else"? What? The only person on the thread who has said anything about being anonymous is you (literally in every one of your posts on the thread!).

4. Tim Brown

Oh for gawds sake... ive made my point and now ive got things to do,but lets be honest, im boxing "blind"yet again ,for instance ive no idea who you really are, whereas we all know who Todd Dalton is(and myself).Its a bit one-sided in my view..

Pootle likes this.
  5. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree, but still for many species it does happen and we all know how difficult the role of the TAG is and maybe their role should be enforced.

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Sourcing animals from rescue centres has several advantages. At least in Asia, where I have visited several, rescue centres are typically, but not exclusively, places doing their best under difficult circumstances. The demands on them may be higher than they can support, and they usually don't have the funds to make much needed improvements or expansions.

If a zoo buys animals from a centre (or establishes a financially beneficial relationship with one in exchange for occasional imports) at least four good things happen:
    The zoo gets a new species, which may be exciting enough to boost visitor numbers.
    The centre receives a nice cash injection, and frees up space to rescue more animals.
    The animals in question will quite likely be going to much better enclosures, although climate and diet may be issues.
    Depending on why the animals were in the centre in the first place, there may be a very interesting, and educational, story to be told, to the benefit of both the zoo and the visitors.
    As an additional maybe, if an initial pair do breed freely, other zoos may be inspired to follow suit, thus establishing the species outside its home range anyway.

That last comment not withstanding, all I'm trying to show is that just because you don't expect animals to be founders, doesn't mean there is no value in importing them.

(I should also point out that this is based on logic, I know nothing really about the interactions between institutions)

7. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for your reply FunkyGibbon, my main comment would be that the relationship should be long-term and that the sanctuary or species benefit in general. The moment it becomes just animals for cash you enter a slippery slope. (Also this is a comment on the general process and not a comment on an individual institution or person).

8. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Allegation and opinion are essentially the same thing - a belief / view / judgement formed about something that is not necessarily based on fact. I don't know what you are on about re anonyminity being sacrosanct - no one has said anything like that? I think Tetrapod makes some good points and it is interesting to hear the different viewpoints that people have... if you thing we are not allowed to discuss something because we don't all know each other personally then I'm not sure why you are a member of a message board?

Mouse1980 likes this.
  9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not quite; calling something an "opinion" does not imply that the bearer of said opinion is explicitly claiming that it is the truth, whilst an "allegation" would suggest this opinion - whilst unfounded or unproven - is being put forward as the truth.

For instance, saying "I think that John Doe is a criminal" is an opinion, whilst without evidence stating "John Doe is a criminal" would be an allegation.

In any case, we are getting rather off-topic here.

10. Tim Brown

11. Tim Brown

Actually you may well be right.Professionally,in another field(the music business) ive had plenty of nonsense/flack/lies from folks who are very brave behind a user name.Guess im old school.

12. Tim Brown

And,finally....to draw a personal line across this one.I should say that Todd Dalton is a friend of mine.To be honest I think matters concerning a private collection shouldnt even be in this thread.

zoogiraffe, Javan Rhino and Al like this.
  13. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Out of interest, who was his original pair? I know he had Toni and Milli from Phnom Tamao in 2013 and Indera and Charlotte from Singapore Zoo and Cologne Zoo respectively in 2011, but I don’t know any previous to that.

14. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Colchester's pair, Jo-Jo and Srey-Ya, both came from RSCC in 2010 although I don't know if they were the original pair. They both came to RSCC in 2007.

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

As MagpieGoose notes, the original pair at RSCC were rescue individuals from Cambodia which later were sent to Colchester, where they remain to this day :)

16. agnmeln

Ah, thank you so much for that. I actually had no idea that they had started off in the UK at RSCC - and that they have been both living together and living in the UK for quite that long.

17. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think, if I heard correctly, that Todd was also responsible for giving Edinburgh and Ouwehands their same sex pairs (2.0 and 0.2 respectively), but never actually kept them at his centre? Maybe I imagined that....

18. agnmeln

Interesting. Somnang and Rotana came direct from Phnom Tamao to Edinburgh. Cindy and Linh came direct from Berlin to Rhenen. Maybe the relationship between Phnom Tamao and Edinburgh was facilitated by Todd as he obviously has contacts out in Cambodia in order to have brought JoJo and SreyYa and Toni and Milli over. Perhaps originally Rhenen were looking to do something similar, and then Cindy and Linh became available from Berlin instead.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

He did keep them at RSCC when it first opened. I took this photo in August 2008. I thought the bear was a subadult female, but I don't know when or where it went subsequently. If I remember correctly there was a smaller male too.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2017
  20. agnmeln

This is definitely SreyYa, now at Colchester.