Join our zoo community

Borth Animalarium Private Zoo For Sale

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Peter Dickinson, 27 Jun 2010.

1. Ant

Ant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has recieved planning permission to extend a further 6 acres and are planning to add a pair of lions in July.

2. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Has Borth finally been sold? Or have the original owners just decided to stay and expand the collection?

3. Ant

Ant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Still under the same owners I believe - Jean Mumbray.

4. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes you are right.
    They can`t sell it, so I guess they have to stay for the time being.

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Borth...

However, it looks as though useful changes have been made under the new Curator -- see Facebook

6. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was pleasantly surprised by the improvements when I made a brief visit last Friday on my way to North Wales .

The new land does not adjoin the current main zoo area but is around the back of the hill where the lechwe and domestic stock are housed in paddocks .

The new Collection Manager - Joe Wood according to Facebook - has organised the tidying up of the place and the staff , with their green uniforms . New aviaries are being built and all the stock looked to be in excellent condition . It is still only a small zoo with fairly basic enclosures .

A number of interesting bird species have been added , I assume the new Manager's speciality . Notably a young pair of grey-breasted conure ( Pyrrhura griseipectus ) very pretty little birds , and said to be the only ones on show in the UK . Also rose-fronted conure ( Pyrrhura roseifrons ) with amethyst starling ; azure-winged magpie with Rickett's hill partridge ( Arborophila gingica ) ; great currasow with giant wood rail ; blue eared pheasant ; sandhill crane pair plus fulvous whisting duck and laysan teal ( in the old beaver enclosure split in two to separate cranes fom ducks ) ; demoiselle cranes . Their pair of emu had quite a few small chicks .

Amongst the mammals the meercats , common marmosets , parma and Bennett's wallaby all had young . The leopard did not appear to be using the extension to his enclosure very much ( very overgrown , though it was open to him ) . For the Zoochat Challenge I added patas monkey and vervet ( from the Dartmoor group ) .

I will post some photos later .

7. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Just read on Facebook they are getting Lions. I Still haven't been here, but it's looking more appealing.

The Lions are called Zulu and Nala.

8. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

i wonder where they will be coming from?

9. banham.tiger

its ok i know now

noahs ark!!!

10. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are you sure? They do have a lion called Zulu but not Nala and I've been told that the lions are the result of a request to take them which goes back quite a while (it was mentioned well over a year ago that they were aware of the request but couldn't currently take them) which usually suggests either ex pets or something otherwise shutting down, maybe a circus?

11. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Noahs be out of Lions if they gave up theirs? I'm sure there was only 2 there when i visited a few years ago.

12. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They had two males originally (and a female that was moved fairly quickly I think), who have now been joined by two females in may last year.

13. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

The lions will be a young unrelated pair of African Lions, but the male is vasectomised, I do not know their names. They have no plans to breed lions in the future either as far as I know.

14. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't been to this collection so can only imagine what it is like. A fairly small zoo with a lot of updating required.I think there is plenty of room for smaller collections in the UK here but whoever buys it will have to invest heavily and squeeze every penny out of us the would be visitor. That means a proper cafe/restaurant and a decent gift shop. Asfar as animals it means perhaps 4/5 star attractions and the rest smaller mammals birds and reptiles.Plenty of walk through enclosures so there is visitor interaction and a decent marketing campaign aimed at the local market.I would also have a what animal would you like to see poll on the web site .

15. banham.tiger

When are the lions coming?:confused:

16. garyjp

Is it still up for sale ?

17. banham.tiger

I believe so.

18. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

and the price has dropped by another £50,000, to £555,000.

20. garyjp

if only i had the money