Join our zoo community

Progress in Way Kambas

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yassa, 21 Dec 2009.

1. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news from Way Kambas - I found this on RRC: Rhino Resource Center

Way Kambas, Sumatra. Andalas (born in Cincinatti in 2001) successfully mated with Ratu at 3:20 AM on December 5th 2009. A drop of semen was collected and the staff confirmed lots of motile sperm were present.

YEAH!!

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Early days, mate!

It may take several mating attempts to have a successful pregnancy.
    I would advocate a second male other than Torgamba (whom may only be used for AI, mated by Andalas and then impregnated upon ovulation by Torgamba) at WK .... from the wild. This would make the center a rescue and rehab for Sumatran rhinos and attempts to reinforce the wild population.

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Total agree but this is a huge stride in the right direction, and a promising sign that all is not lost with the captive program.

4. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

advocate what? catching one?

i think if one is should appear in an isolated area or in an area that is deemed dangerous to the animal it should be consolidated into the WK population. but i would be staunchly against capture of wild rhino's to attempt to boost what has been overall, a terrible failure of a breeding program. if WK starts having multiple birth successes with multiple rhino, then, and only then will i condone capture from the wild.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I advocate capture from a conservation genetics perspective (more than 1 unrelated breeding male is imperative). There are still rhinos at risk in parts of Sumatera that may be good candidates. There is nothing wrong - in my mind - with a well-organised capture operation in situ (the technology advances and the examples of how not too have been overcome) for in situ intensive management and for eventual re-release in suitable new areas or for re-inforcement of wild populations.

I support active intervention if and when a total population is so low (as is the case in the Sumatera Sumatran rhinos). This on top of intensive wild animal in situ management in the various national parks with extant rhino populations and anti-poaching/monitoring teams. One just has to look at the current sit with northern white rhinos in C-E Africa to know that a 2-way strategy is required to save a species from extinction

Let us just say we agree to disagree as far as the fundamentals of conservation management needs/requirements for a critically endangered species are concerned.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agree that they need to prove first they can successfully breed from Andalas/Ratu/Rosa. If so, then the deliberate capture of another male might be necessary to further the breeding programme, but, unless one appears in a 'vulnerable' situation in the meantime, I don't think any further captures are necessary or should be considered.