Join our zoo community

Proposed captive elephant reform (?)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriUK, 19 Jun 2021.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am worried that this would well turn out to become a legislative "slippery slope" towards more and more animal species and groups getting banned. And if the anti-zoo crowd gets to celebrate their victory on elephants, they will almost certainly be emboldened to push more and harder for anti-zoo policies.

The current UK government has already shown how much it cares about the future of zoos with the whole relief fund debacle (i.e. not much at all).

And if the political will is found for an elephant ban, who says it couldn't happen for great apes, large cats or any other animal group? Who says the politicians won't be swayed for for more bans? Appeasing the animal rights crowd once will not make them give up, it will only make them worse. British politicians better head the warning that "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile—hoping it will eat him last".

zoomaniac and StoppableSan like this.
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

If the current UK government has already shown how much it cares about the population of the country (which apparently isn't very much at all) then realistically speaking how much can they be expected to care about the future of zoos ?

I think it would be an enormous shame if it is to be a slippery slope as there are world class zoos in the UK that make outstanding contributions to conservation around the world.

Lets hope it doesn't go that way.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Yes, exactly, the articles say nothing of actual substance. Despite the strong "is now banned" language, buried in the story are parcels of truth such as the line "The Government is due to receive the results of a report on the welfare of elephants in captivity soon. It is understood that it argues against keeping them in zoos."

In other words, there is a report made by one of the anti groups which will say the same stuff they always trot out, and despite the journalist not knowing what is actually in the report or what the outcome will be (because the report hasn't even been presented yet!) they are making up an "elephants are now banned" story.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The title of the thread just says broadly 'Proposed captive elephant reform'. The headline of the Daily Mail article that started the discussion says' Keeping of Elephants in Zoos and Safari parks will be banned'. So I am still confused rather as to whether it is about importation, or keeping them at all.

Zorro likes this.
  5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Hasn't this been combined with another thread about the same topic? I'm not interested in either mail or sun link, so haven't read the thread.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

There were two threads which I merged as they were about the same articles (hence the post you quoted, and the linking to the same article several times within the now-single thread).

Pertinax likes this.
  7. KevinB

From what I understood all imports would be banned, and all breeding would also be banned uner the proposed rules, to phase out elephants in UK zoos.

If UK zoos were no longer permitted to breed elephants I assume valuable breeding animals would likely be transferred to other zoos by the studbook keepers, if space is available...

Mai Thai likes this.
  8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

@KevinB It's not worth worrying about as it's only the sun and mail rags. Let the thread drift down the pages until something solid is reported.

9. KevinB

I know these papers are gutter rags, but presumably even they wouldn't be publishing this if it was baseless fake news, right? They seem to have some sources, and between all the sensationalist nonsense in the articles there's still plenty of reason for great concern. It seems quite clear zoo reforms will be happening that will have a major negative impact.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2021
    StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You give them too much credit :rolleyes:

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Nathano

Nathano Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Given an Aspinall Foundation zoo (the charity that Mrs Johnson works for) has the largest breeding herd of elephants in the UK, I somehow doubt this is her.

What seems to have happened here is that somebody heard about the Elephant Welfare Group sending its 10-year-report to the government (which is happening in the coming months) and jumped to a conclusion.

Kifaru Bwana and Mai Thai like this.
  12. KevinB

Please remember that Damian Aspinall actively called for the end of zoos...

Mai Thai likes this.
  13. Nathano

Aspinall has talked about elephant releases in the past, I should point out.

The only elephant report I am aware of that is currently being submitted to the government is the Elephant Welfare Group's 10-year report - which details changes and advances in care, and highlights areas where any improvement is required.

This person obviously heard of the report and, despite not knowing what was actually in the report or what the outcome will be (because the report hasn't even been presented), decided to make up an "elephants are banned" story just to be salacious.

Certainly, it hasn't been mentioned in any previous mentions of the Kept Animals Bill, when you'd imagine it'd be a pretty big issue.

Kifaru Bwana and Mai Thai like this.
  14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

And has some of the worse indoor keeping of Elephants in the UK.

A zoo that wants all zoos to be closed but continues to breed animals.

A zoo that is run by a man who has ties with the environment minister.

A zoo that has also employed the wife of current prime minister.

But yes none of that has anything to do with it.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think its safe to say Aspinall (given his connections and outspoken stance) has played at least some role in this.

I just hope if it is indeed to come into effect then it remains limited to elephants and is not a slippery slope, I'll be very disappointed if it does go that way.

16. Nathano

I wouldn't worry, however - apparently, today, the minister in question (Zach Goldsmith) has allegedly (statement on Chester Zoo website) denied the reports and has stated that the Government do not intend to ban elephants in UK zoos.

What I think has happened is that somebody heard about the Elephant Welfare Group's 10-year report that is being sent to the government for review, which details changes and advances in care, and highlights areas where any improvement is required, and wrote the article not knowing what it was.

The Sun article even has this quote from Goldsmith, supporting the theory that the report referred to is the EWG's 10-year-report.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Hmmmm thats an interesting development, thanks for sharing, I hope your right about that.

Incidentally I know that Zac Goldsmith just as Johnson's father and wife all consider themselves to be avid conservationists ( I personally don't consider them as such :rolleyes:).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Nathano

Here's the URL (they wrote a statement on it today): Elephants in UK zoos – Chester Zoo response | Chester Zoo

Here's the relevant statement bolded:

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing !

The statement does seem to support what you and others have said about a ban of elephants being tabloid speculation and sensationalism to sell papers.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Nathano

What I think has happened is that somebody heard about the Elephant Welfare Group's 10-year report that is being sent to the government for review, which details changes and advances in care, and highlights areas where any improvement is required, and wrote the article not knowing what it was.

This is backed up by this quote from Goldsmith in the Sun article: