Join our zoo community

Proposed Zoo in Maynooth

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 13 Aug 2021.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is a proposed zoo near Maynooth, Ontario, that has been trying to establish itself for nearly a year now. Its being run by couple, Mark and Tammy Drysdale, who moved there because there were no ordinances forbidding the exotic animals. Council in the area have been working on bylaws to prevent the couple from establishing a zoo due to high public concerns. They have 8 lions and 2 tigers at least. There was an incident this spring when a litter of lions was born and "rejected" by their mother and they had to beg the community for a spare generator to hopefully provide power to help keep the cubs alive and admitted they had no experience bottle feeding cubs and needed help. One must wonder why you would allow a situation you are woefully under prepared for when keeping such large and dangerous animals. I have been reading about it for awhile now but didn't bother posting because its not actually a zoo yet. However news has come out that the OPP have been coming and going from the compound with an official stating there has been movement of animals and the police were there out of an abundance of caution. I'm not sure if the couple is moving due to the battle with the town or if the animals are being taken or surrendered. Just thought it was something people might want to know more about. I have selected a group of articles but there are more if you just google zoo and Hastings Highlands should anyone be interested.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/drysdale-roaring-cat-safari-experience-hastings-1.5799647

Exotic Animal Bylaw passes second reading in HH

Survival of lion cubs born in HH in jeopardy

Big cat owner confirms death of lion cub born in HH

OPP confirms ‘movement’ of exotic animals at roadside zoo in HH

snowleopard likes this.
  2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This looks like a terrible idea and situation.

I remember reading that Ontario is like the wild west with exotic animals. I think the only animals illegal to own in Ontario are Orcas and Pitbulls (although there are many ways around the pitbull law)

3. TZFan

snowleopard likes this.
  4. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

As soon as your defense it "it's only a baby lion" you should realise you're on shaky moral ground:

Another grievance arose after two lion cubs were spotted wandering in a residential area. Drysdale said a woman who complained overreacted.

"Unfortunately, some lady was getting mail, and it became a big thing. You know, it's not, 'Baby lions are out.' Oh, no, it's 'Lions are out.' Big difference between a baby lion and a lion."

5. cypher

This show was a good read. It's funny the rational that people use in trying to open these roadside zoos. @Zooer, you're absolutely right in that their moral ground is shaky with that kind of defense.

6. TZFan

I thought some of you would find it an entertaining read.

The concerning thing is he moved 4 lions somewhere and no one knows where. Are they safe? Are the people around them safe? Are they being fed properly? What about the second tiger? So many questions unanswered.

7. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

Based on his current track record he probably doesn't know where the four lions are, and they'll pop up on main street.

8. TZFan

Yeah track record isn't great. I just hope for the sake of the animals they are safe and being well cared for but I know its unlikely.

9. cypher

In all honesty, to prevent something like this from continuing to happen the Ontario government needs to come up with a law surrounding exotic animals and people opening roadside zoos.