Join our zoo community

Prospect Park Zoo Prospect Park Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 17 Jun 2009.

1. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

When I visited in July, there was an enclosure with Bali mynah, Victoria crowned pigeon and crested wood partridges next to the dwarf mongooses. I did not see any Nicobar pigeons in the zoo.
    Not to mention that this looks a lot more like a crested wood partridge in size and colour.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It IS a crested wood partridge!

3. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

WCS went to great lengths to make the rockwork in this enclosure exactly the same type of formation found in the cats' native habitats. After a search, they found an example of this in, of all places, CPZ. Exhibit builders used latex to cast a 100? square foot section, peeled it off, and went to work making an exact replica in fiberglass. You can see it on the right side in the video. From The Zoo, "Grumpy Cats Get New Digs."

4. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello, does anybody know which Hamadryas Baboon reside at the Prospect Park Zoo today? Thanks

5. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Specific names of individuals? I don't. But I was wondering if they had more than the three I saw on exhibit?

Jaxton likes this.
  6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Earlier in the summer I saw one male, 3 females and 2 youngsters on exhibit.

Jaxton likes this.
  7. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, I was wondering names, because I had listed, Tullu, Ciro, Wairidi, Silar, Matara, Kaia, Rebecca, Binti, and Cobie. But a taxonomy request tells me that there are 6 males, and 4 females, with two baboons being born in the last year. But I don't recall any news about baby baboons.

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know PPZ has all of Sedgwick County's old baboons if that helps.

~Thylo

Jaxton likes this.
  9. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They were there when I visited in May. WCS is not that big about publicizing animal births that are recurrent, such as the baboons.

Jaxton and ThylacineAlive like this.
  10. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

12. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other news in 2021:

On May 5th, 2020, the zoo announced that (2.2) Shetland sheep were born on March 28th (females) and March 30th (males) respectively.

On February 15th, 2021, the zoo announced they have acquired a (0.1) wreathed hornbill named Clementine from the San Antonio Zoo in Texas back in January 2021.

On April 2nd, the zoo announced that (0.0.2) Shetland sheep have been born.

On June 25th, the zoo announced that a (0.0.1) Roti Island snake-necked turtle has been born.

13. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are the Scarlet Ibises and Hamadryas Baboons viewable in the early winter? I guess that the Scarlet Ibises are moved indoors to another section of the zoo when it gets below a certain temperature? I was thinking about a mid-December visit and doing the zoo and Brooklyn Museum in one day. I would do the zoo first and then the museum. For such a small zoo it looks like it has a well-rounded collection for its size and has several species I like including Pallas' Cats, Victoria Crowned Pigeons, and Wreathed Hornbills. I'd love to visit the Bronx zoo but it's too massive for a one-day visit and trying to capture good footage of all the animals in a few hours.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know about Prospect Park, but Bronx has a fantastic scarlet ibis exhibit that's great for photos. The National Aquarium has the species indoors, as well.

StoppableSan and Sarus Crane like this.
  15. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd love to visit the Bronx Zoo, but I would arriving at the Port Authority by bus by 10:00 AM at the earliest and then would have to figure out a reliable way to get there. Who knows how long that would take? The zoo closes at 4:30pm in the winter. I've never been to the Bronx Zoo and heard that the neighborhood can be dangerous. Is there a safe, yet fast way to get there from Manhattan like a bus or subway stop close to the zoo? If Bronx isn't doable then I guess there's always Central Park Zoo, but I don't think it's worth the price. :(

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  16. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Central Park is worth the price *if you're into history and you know what you're getting*. You're getting a mini-JungleWorld with lemurs, bats, tropical birds and standard zoo-fare herptiles, Japanese snow monkeys, a standard Antarctic penguin/northern seabird collection (with chinstrap penguins!!!), harbor seals, red pandas, snow leopards, an elderly grizzly who may be on death's door (if she hasn't passed on already), and a pretty uniquely designed children's zoo with zebus and patagonian cavies. And you're also getting GORGEOUS autumn scenery and stellar exhibit design.

Sarus Crane and TinoPup like this.
  17. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have no idea about public transport, sorry, I get motion sickness from subways :( Bronx isn't really any more dangerous that other parts of nyc.

As @StoppableSan said, Central Park is a nice little zoo, and is especially fantastic if you're into zoo history. Just make sure there's nothing major going on in that part of the park that day! I'd planned on going there last sunday after going to a different thing in manhattan, somehow didn't know the marathon was that day :eek:

Sarus Crane and StoppableSan like this.
  18. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

19. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is fantastic news, such a cool species that usually is pretty hard to breed.

Kifaru Bwana and ThylacineAlive like this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo had about two dozen animals about a year ago I believe, with a handful more having moved over to the Bronx.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.