Join our zoo community

Zoos and other animal collections of New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 5 Jan 2008.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

This is a catalogue of the places in New Zealand which display captive wildlife.

The main zoos in New Zealand are generally either council-operated or managed by charitable trusts. The smaller wildlife parks, bird collections, etc (i.e. most of the animal collections) are usually private hobby-collections which have been opened to the public, and they usually have relatively non-exotic species. Aquariums are mostly privately-owned. There are lots of hobby farms or commercial farms (including deer farms, emu farms, alpaca farms, even a prawn farm) which are open for visitors and I have included those I know of. Many botanic gardens (run by city or town councils) have an aviary or aviaries and I have included the ones I am aware of, even though most keep only common aviary birds. I have also included museums which have displays of live animals (usually native fish or invertebrates) because they are institutions of education.

I have arranged the collections in two different ways. In the first post I have listed them all roughly in order from north to south, so that it is easy to see where collections are located geographically (e.g. for anyone travelling through a region). In the second post I have divided the collections into categories so that it is easy to find places of specific interest (e.g. native wildlife or petting zoos).

The categories I have split them into in the second post are as follows:

1) Zoos (general animal collections, especially those with a focus on exotic wild animals)
    2) New Zealand Wildlife (collections with a predominant or sole focus on native animals, and including rescue centres which are open to visitors)
    3) Bird Collections and Aviaries (these are almost all Botanic Gardens which have an aviary or aviaries. Any bird collections which focus solely on native New Zealand species are listed under the previous category)
    4) Aquariums
    5) Butterfly Houses
    6) Museums with live animals
    7) Farm Parks and Petting Zoos (collections which are mainly or solely domestic animals. I have included working farms which are open as interactive attractions - alpaca farms, especially, are often open for visitors - but I have excluded those which are only a part of holiday parks or B&Bs [i.e. for guests but not general visitors] or which are just open access farms [i.e. part of public walking routes])

In the original versions of this list I excluded animal collections which housed only domestics (i.e. the farm parks and petting zoos) but I have decided to include these now as I felt that the list might be of more general use that way. There are loads of these small private parks in New Zealand, so they will keep getting added as I come across them.

Websites are given for those collections which have them. ZAA full and associate member institutions are noted. (ZAA was formerly known as ARAZPA).

At the bottom of the list in this first post I have included some closed collections. These are generally either the larger collections, or aquariums, or ones which may otherwise come up in searches of New Zealand zoos.

NORTH ISLAND

Millennium Nocturnal Park (Kaitaia) [formerly Kaitaia Nocturnal Park; this was a kiwi house but it may have closed - I can't find any recent information]

Gumdigger's Park (Kaitaia) [I think the only captive wildlife here is a display for Northland Green Geckoes] Ancient Buried Kauri forest and Gum-Digging site North of Kaitaia NZ

The Parrot Place (Kerikeri) Visiting Our Bird Park - The Parrot Place

(Kiwi North) Heritage Museum and Kiwi House (Whangarei) [ZAA member] Whangarei Museum and Heritage Park - Kiwi North - Welcome to Kiwi North

Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary (Whangarei) [formerly known as Zion Wildlife Park, Zion Wildlife Gardens, and Kingdom of Zion] [currently closed to the public]

Serendipity Farm Park (Whangarei) [farm park/petting zoo]

Bluewater Farm Park (near Whangarei) [also known as "Whangarei's Zoo"] [farm park/petting zoo]

Kandiah Alpacas (Waipu) [farm park] Suri Alpaca Stud

Ti Point Reptile Park (Ti Point) [formerly known as Ti Point Wildlife Park] [ZAA member] Reptile park home page

Goat Island Marine Discovery Centre (Leigh) [has a touch tank and some small aquariums] Goat Island Marine Discovery Centre

Keystone Wildlife Reserve (Warkworth) [also known as Gibbs Wildlife Conservancy] [not open to public] [ZAA member]

Sheep World (Warkworth) [farm park] Sheep World | Home

Matakana Country Park (Matakana) [farm park] Matakana Country Park

Silverhill Alpacas (North Auckland) [farm park] Alpaca Farm North Auckland Northland

Auckland Zoo (Auckland) [ZAA member] Auckland Zoo© -The Official Website of AKL Zoo

Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World (Auckland) [ZAA member] Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium, Auckland | Cheapest Tickets | Official Site

Butterfly Creek (Auckland) [ZAA member] Butterfly Creek - Animal Encounters | Book Your Visit Today!

Whitford Bird Park (Auckland) [also known as Whitford Bird Garden] Whitford Bird Garden - Introduction

West Lynn Garden Butterfly House (Auckland) [seasonal, and only Monarch Butterflies] butterflies at west lynn garden and butterfly house

Kiwi Valley (Henderson, Auckland) [farm park] Kiwi Valley Farm | Auckland rural family fun park

Mt Albert Grammar School Farm (ASB MAGS Farm) (Mt Albert, Auckland) [farm park] About the farm - Mount Albert Grammar School

Ambury Regional Park (Auckland) [There are many other council-operated farms in Auckland, which can be found on the council website page for regional parks: Regional parks]

Crystal Mountain (Swanson, Auckland) [petting zoo] Animal Park & Rides

Clevedon Animal Farm (Clevedon, Auckland) [farm park/petting zoo] Clevedon Animal Farm, Auckland - New Zealand

Cuesta Alpacas (Clevedon) [farm park] Home - Cuesta, for Jet Black Alpacas

Glenbrook Farm Park (Glenbrook) [farm park/petting zoo]

Orua Bay Bird Park (Waiuku) About Orua Bay Bird Park

Close Encounters Farm Experience (Te Kohanga) [farm park] Close Encounters Farm Experience - Guided tourist attraction with up close contact and feeding of animals, birds and exotic animals

Whiti Farm Park (Whitianga) [farm park/petting zoo] http://www.whitifarmpark.co.nz/

Mill Creek Bird and Animal Encounters (Whitianga) [aviaries and petting zoo] Mill Creek Bird and Animal Encounters, Whitianga, New Zealand - /

Hamilton Zoo (Hamilton) [ZAA member] Home - Hamilton Zoo

Parana Park (Hamilton) [aviary]

Cornerstone Alpaca Stud (Gordonton) [farm park] Cornerstone Alpaca Stud Home

Ataahua Alpacas (Hamilton) [farm park] Ataahua Alpacas & Farmstay

Waikato Pony Rides and Petting Zoo (Hamilton) [petting zoo] Waikato Pony Rides and Petting Zoo | Pony Parties and Gorgeous Pets

Bullswool Farm and Nature Park (Karangaheke Gorge) [farm park/petting zoo] Bullswool Farm Heritage Park – An authentic Kiwi Experience, voted one of the Coromandel's 100 Must Do's!

Marshall's Animal Park (Tauranga) [farm park/petting zoo] Marshalls Animal Park

Katikati Bird Gardens (Katikati) things to do tauranga

Rainbow Springs Nature Park (Rotorua) [ZAA member] Rainbow Springs Nature Park | Unique Rotorua Attraction [Open from 1931 to 2022 - the National Kiwi Hatchery part of the complex is still able to be visited by tour, so I have left it on the list]

Paradise Valley Springs (Rotorua) [current ZAA member?] Paradise Valley Springs Wildlife Park

Wingspan Birds of Prey Trust (Rotorua) Wingspan National Bird of Prey Centre Rotorua New Zealand | Birds of Prey | NZ Falcon

Te Puia [formerly Whakarewarewa] Maori Arts and Crafts Institute (Rotorua) [kiwi house] [ZAA member] Te Puia - Rotorua Geothermal & Geysers | Rotorua Attraction

Agrodome (Rotorua) [farm park/petting zoo] Unique New Zealand Farm Experience | Agrodome Rotorua

Surico Alpaca Farm (Rotorua) [farm park] home page

Mini Golf Rotorua (Rotorua) [petting zoo]

Lilliput Farm Fun and Animal Park (Taupo) [petting zoo] Lilli Put Farm Taupo | Lilli Put Farm Taupo

Huka Prawn Park (Taupo) [prawn farm] Huka Prawn Park - New Zealand's only Prawn Park is 10 minutes north of Taupo

Tongariro National Trout Centre [includes the Turangi National Freshwater Aquarium] (Turangi, near Taupo) troutcentre

Nevalea Alpacas (Taumaranui) [farm park] Welcome to Nevalea Alpacas | Farm and Shop | Taumarunui

Top Mill Alpaca Farm (Raurimu) [farm park] Untitled Document

Ranui Farm Park (Waipukarau) [farm park] Ranui Farm Park, Track Days, Mountian biking, Camping & Family Days

Otorohanga Kiwi House and Native Bird Park (Otorohanga) [ZAA member] Best place to see kiwi | Otorohanga Kiwi House, New Zealand

Waitomo Big Bird and Miniature Animal Petting Farm (Otorohanga) [ostrich farm/petting zoo] Waitomo Accommodation - Big Bird Bed & Breakfast Waitomo Caves NZ

Roselands Farm Park (Waitomo) [farm park] http://www.hamiltonwaikato.com/experiences/all-activities/roselands-farm-park/

Gisborne Botanic Gardens (Gisborne) [aviary]

National Aquarium (Napier) [ZAA member] National Aquarium of New Zealand, Napier, Hawke's Bay, NZ

Westshore Wildlife Reserve (Napier) [kiwi captive breeding facility; not open to the public] [ZAA member]

Napier Botanic Gardens (Napier) [aviaries]

Funky Farm Petting Zoo (Mangateretere, near Hastings) [petting zoo] https://www.funkyfarm.co.nz/

Hawkes Bay Farmyard Zoo (Haumoana, near Hastings) [petting zoo] Hawkes Bay Farmyard Zoo

Cornwall Park (Hastings) [aviary]

Brooklands Zoo (New Plymouth) [ZAA member]

Pouakai Zoo Park (New Plymouth) [ZAA member] Pouakai Zoo

Stoney Oaks Wildlife Park (Inglewood) Stoney Oaks Wildlife Park

Ashley Park (Waitotara) [aviaries and petting zoo] Ashley Park - animal farm & averies

Virginia Lake Gardens (Wanganui) [aviaries]

Flat Hills Cafe and Tourist Park (Ohingaiti) [petting zoo]

Kowhai Park (Feilding, near Palmerston North) [aviaries]

Wildbase Recovery / Victoria Esplanade Aviaries (Palmerston North) [ZAA member] Wildbase Recovery – World-class rehabilitation care for New Zealand wildlife

Te Manawa Museum of Art, Science and History (Palmerston North) [has live native invertebrates and freshwater fish] Home - Te Manawa Museum of Art, Science and History

Wildlife Foxton Trust (Foxton) [mainly native lizards, fish and invetebrates]

Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre (Mt. Bruce) [ZAA member] Pukaha Mount Bruce

Queen Elizabeth Park (Masterton) [aviary and a deer park]

Kahikatea Gardens (Greytown) [petting zoo] Kahikatea Garden Tours

Martinborough Manor Farm Tour (Martinborough) [farm park] Martinborough Manor

The Deer Story Museum (Manakau, near Otaki) [farm park - has Fallow and Red Deer] INTRODUCING THE DEER STORY… MUSEUM NEW ZEALAND

Cantharis Alpacas (Kapiti Coast) [farm park] Alpacas Kapiti Wellington New Zealand

Nga Manu Nature Reserve / Sanctuary (Waikanae) [ZAA member] Ngā Manu

Reikorangi Pottery and Animal Park (near Waikanae) [petting zoo] Reikorangi Pottery Park and Cafe - Home

Emudale (Paraparaumu) [Emu farm - I don't know if this is still operating]

Bluebank Blueberry and Emu Farm (Akatarawa, Upper Hutt) [emu farm] Bluebank Blueberry Farm

Staglands (Akatarawa Valley, Upper Hutt) Wellington Attractions | Animal Farm | Wildlife Park & Reserve | Welcome

Riddiford Garden (Civic Gardens) (Lower Hutt) [aviary]

Trickle Creek (Horokiwi, Wellington) [petting zoo]

Wellington Zoo (Wellington) [ZAA member] Visit

Marine Education Centre (Island Bay, Wellington) [only open on Sundays] Welcome to Octopus.org.nz | Octopus.org.nz

Zealandia (Wellington) [formerly called the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary] [not a zoo at all, but their Takahe are within an enclosed compound and they also have an enclosure for Maud Island Frogs (although you are very unlikely to see them by day). Previously they also had displays for native lizards and freshwater fish] Home - Zealandia

SOUTH ISLAND

Koru Native Wildlife Centre (Grovetown, Blenheim) [open by tour only] Koru Native Wildlife Centre

Karearea Falcon Trust (Blenheim) [has various name combinations, also including Marlborough Falcon Trust, and Marlborough Falcon Conservation Trust] [only houses NZ Falcons; open by tour only, a few months per year] Kārearea Falcon Trust

Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary (Koromiko, Blenheim) [petting zoo, open only on Saturdays] Te Paranui – Animal Sanctuary in Marlborough

Walnut Ranch (Blenheim) [farm park / petting zoo] Animal Park — WALNUT RANCH

Anatoki Salmon (Takaka) [also includes Wild Earth Nature Park, formerly Bencarri Nature Park] [wild eels and petting zoo] https://www.anatokisalmon.co.nz/tame-eels-cafe/

Animal Farm (Upper Moutere) [petting zoo] Animalfarm.co.nz – Just another WordPress site

Wild Oats Farm (Pretty Bridge Valley, near Nelson) [farm park/petting zoo] Wild Oats Farm

Natureland Zoo (Nelson) [ZAA member] Home

The Brook Waimarama Sanctuary (Nelson) [similarly to Zealandia in Wellington, not a zoo at all but they have live displays for native freshwater fish and geckos in the visitor centre] The Brook Waimārama Sanctuary - Returning Nature to Nelson

Red Barn Cafe and Animal Park (Murchison) [petting zoo]

Hanmer Springs Animal Park (Hanmer Springs) [also known as Wai Ariki Farm Park or Wai Ariki Nature Park] [petting zoo] Hanmer Animal Park is open all year round for animal encounters

Hanmer Llamas (Hanmer Springs) [llama park] South Island llama trekking adventures with Hanmer Llamas

The National Kiwi Centre (Hokitika) [also variously and formerly known as Westland's Water World; Hokitika Water World; The NZ Eco Centre; and Jacquie Grant's Eco Centre] Wildlife Sanctuary & Kiwi Experience - The National Kiwi Centre

West Coast Wildlife Centre (Frans Josef) [has Okarito Kiwi and Tuatara] West Coast Wildlife Centre

Fyffe View Ranch Adventure Park (Kaikoura) [petting zoo]

Kaikoura Llama Trekking (Kaikoura) [farm park] Kaikoura Llama Trekking

Woodlands Cafe, Playground and Petting Zoo (Leithfield) [petting zoo]

Wee Dram Farm Park (Rangiora) [farm park/petting zoo] https://www.weedramfarm.co.nz/

Seafield Wildlife Park (Spencerville, Christchurch) [formerly called Spencer Park Wildlife Park, Spencerville Wildlife Reserve, or Spencerville Wildlife Park] [now just a few aviaries and livestock pens]

Orana Park (Christchurch) [ZAA member] Open Range Zoo, Christchurch NZ | Orana Wildlife Park

Willowbank Wildlife Reserve (Christchurch) [ZAA member] New Zealand Tourist Attractions | Willowbank Wildlife Reserve & Restaurant

Peacock Springs / Isaacs Wildlife Trust (Christchurch) [not open to the public] [ZAA member] Combining Construction with Conservation » Isaac Construction

International Antarctic Centre (Christchurch) [has White-flippered and Little Blue Penguins] [ZAA member] Best Tourist Attraction in Christchurch: International Antarctic Centre

Woodham Park (Christchurch) [aviaries]

Sherlin Alpaca Stud (West Melton, Christchurch) [farm park] Sherlin Alpacas New Zealand

Glenlothian Farm (West Melton, Christchurch) [farm park] Glenlothian Farm - Unique Animal Farm West Melton

Silverstream Alpaca Farmstay (Christchurch) [farm park] Farmstay B&B Accommodation and Farm Tour

Arion Farm Education Park (Christchurch) [petting zoo] Arion Farm Education Park | Part of the National Trade Academy (NTA)

Shamarra Alpaca Farm Tours (Akaroa) [farm park] Alpaca Farm New Zealand | Shamarra Alpacas

Living Springs Farm Park (Lyttleton) [farm park] http://www.livingsprings.co.nz/Day+Programmes/Farm+Park+visits.html

Ashburton Botanic Gardens (Ashburton, near Christchurch) [aviary]

Awatere Alpacas (Springston) [farm park] http://www.awaterealpacas.co.nz/

Warwickz Farm (Dunsandel) [farm park] "Warwickz Farm rare breed animals, luxury farm stay and bed & breakfast in Canterbury New Zealand

Gem Alpaca Farm Tours (Fairlie) [farm park] Gem Alpaca Stud, Fairlie, NZ

Alpaca Walks (Geraldine) [farm park] http://alpacawalks.co.nz/

Farmyard Holiday Park (Geraldine) [petting zoo] Amazing Camping Tips and Facts 2020 - thefarmyardholidaypark.co.nz

DoC captive-breeding centre for Black Stilt (Twizel)

Enkle Doo Very Korna (Waimate) [wallaby park]

The Raptor Experience / NZ Raptor Trust (Timaru) [rescue centre for birds of prey] https://nzraptor.org/

Caroline Bay (Timaru) [aviary]

Timaru Botanic Gardens (Timaru) [aviary]

South Canterbury Museum (Timaru) [has an aquarium of native freshwater fish] Home | South Canterbury Museum

Famlan Farm Park (Timaru) [farm park/petting zoo] https://www.southproud.co.nz/listing/famlan-farm-park/

Oamaru Public Gardens (Oamaru) [aviaries]

Westmere Lavender Farm and Petting Zoo (Kurow) [petting zoo] http://www.westmerelavender.co.nz/

Establo Alpacas (Dunedin) [farm park] Home | Establo Alpacas

Flagstaff Alpacas (Dunedin) [farm park] http://www.flagstaffalpacas.co.nz/

Dun Eden Family Farm (Glen Ross, near Dunedin) [farm park/petting zoo] http://www.dunedenfamilyfarm.co.nz/

The Animal Ark (Mosgiel, Dunedin) [petting zoo]

Orokonui Ecosanctuary (Dunedin) [similarly to Zealandia in Wellington, not a zoo at all but they have enclosed displays for Tuatara and Otago Skinks] Orokonui Ecosanctuary

Penguin Place (Dunedin) [a penguin rehabilitation centre open for tours] Home » Penguin Place - Conservation Reserve

Dunedin Botanic Gardens (Dunedin) [aviaries] [ZAA member]

Otago Museum (Dunedin) [Discovery World Tropical Forest butterfly house] [ZAA member] Home

Arahua Gardens (Clyde) [aviary]

Wanaka Lavender Farm (Wanaka) [petting zoo] https://www.wanakalavenderfarm.com/

Glenorchy Animal Experience (Glenorchy) [farm park/petting zoo] http://glenorchyanimalexperience.co.nz/

Paqocha Alpaca (Queenstown) [farm park] http://www.paqocha.co.nz/

Kiwi Birdlife Park (Queenstown) [ZAA member] Home - Kiwi Birdlife Park

Frankton Zoological Gardens (Queenstown) [mainly aviaries]

Te Anau Wildlife Centre (Te Anau)

Maple Glen (Southland) [aviaries] Maple Glen Gardens

Gore Botanic Gardens (Gore) [aviaries]

Bannerman Park (Gore) [deer park]

Southland Museum and Art Gallery (Invercargill) [Tuatara - the museum is closed indefinitely due to earthquake-related structural issues, but the tuatara can still be viewed from outside the building] Tuatara

Queens Park (Invercargill) [aviaries, and farm park]

SELECTED CLOSED ZOOS
    [In descending order, from north to south]

Museum Of Fishes (Whangarei) – closed in 2000.

Aquatic World Aquarium (Paihia) – seemingly closed? I can't find any recent references to it. It may have been turned into a restaurant.

Auckland Lion Safari Park (Auckland) – opened September 1981, closed October 1991? (in liquidation until May 1995).

Franklin Zoo [formerly Mark Vette's Rescue Zoo, which was formerly Whangarata Zoo Park] (Pokeno) – closed April 2012 following the death of the owner (killed by an elephant at the zoo). See here on Zoochat: Franklin Zoo Forums

Shaw's Bird Park (aka Mangakotukutuku Bird Reserve) (Hamilton) - bird collection opened in 2018 and closed in 2023. See an article here about its story: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/30...rted-a-yearslong-dispute-over-a-piece-of-land

Tropical Butterfly Garden [also known as Butterfly and Orchid Garden] (Thames) - opened in 1999 at which time it was the only tropical butterfly house in the country. Closed in early 2018 with the intention of reopening on a different site, but this never happened.

Living Art Wildlife Park (Tauranga) – closed in 2011.

Marineland (Moturiki Island, Tauranga) – opened 1966, closed May 1981. There's not much available information. This article (Yes, 600 of us 'like' the old Pools) says "it was home to dozens of marine mammals as well as chimpanzees, llamas, wallabies, kea, possums and ferrets."

Marineland of New Zealand (Napier) – opened January 1965; closed to the public in September 2008 following the death of the last dolphin, then variously open and closed until final closure in April 2009. Most animals remained on site until 2013-2015. The site has been redeveloped into part of a public recreation area. See this Zoochat thread: Marineland of New Zealand, Napier (Closed) - last dolphin at Marineland dies

Nocturnal House (Napier) - I don't know the proper name of this establishment and there is pretty much nothing on the internet about it. I think it would have closed in the 1990s. The most information I have found was from a newspaper account of a school trip in 1988 (https://knowledgebank.org.nz/text/newspaper-article-1988-outward-bound/): "The smell was awful, every one was holding their noses. In the cages we saw a Fitch Ferret, a Bush Gecko, a Kiore, a Pharyphanta Snail, a Sugar Glider that looked really unusual, a Hedgehog, a Morepork, a Barn Owl, a Nankeen Night Heron, and a North Island Brown Kiwi." The account also mentions a Brush-tailed Possum, and that there were five Brown Kiwi kept there.

Tweeters and Friends (near Palmerston North) - a quite large aviary collection behind a pet supply shop. It closed as a public attraction in 2023.

The Parrot Ranch (Levin) - a private parrot collection open to the public for a short period (roughly from 2008 to 2011). Sometime after closing for public visits the owners moved away. As well as parrots and a few other birds, there were also Cottontop Tamarins and Madagascar Day Geckos.

Owlcatraz Native Bird and Wildlife Park [also known as Owlcatraz Tourist and Educational Park] (Shannon) - opened in 1997 and closed when the owners retired in July 2020. See this article about its closure: https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/...-park-owlcatraz-sold-for-subdivision#comments

Te Nikau Barnyard (Lindale) [petting zoo] - closed 2015

African Lion Safari Park (Otaihanga, near Paraparaumu) – opened 1979, closed 1982? (dissolution of company in 1986).

McArthur Park Seaquarium (Titahi Bay, north of Wellington) – opened January 1987, closed 1990.

Eco World Aquarium and Terrarium [formerly called Seahorse World; also known simply as Picton Aquarium] (Picton) - originally opened as the Aquarium Of The Marlborough Sounds in 2002, closed in December 2022 after lengthy legal issues.

Touch the Sea Aquarium [also known as Mapua Aquarium] (Mapua, Nelson) – opened 1999; destroyed in an arson attack in September 2011. See this Zoochat thread: Nelson Aquarium Destroyed by Fire

Marlborough Zoological Park (Renwick) – opened in 1982, closed in c.1985-1988. There is very little information online. This article is the only comprehensive account: https://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough...zealand-zoo-that-was-washed-away-in-a-weekend. The zoo was overwhelmed by floods in July 1983 and a lot of the animals drowned, although it stayed open for a few more years. The article mentions or depicts lions, tigers, peccaries, barbary sheep, water buffalo, American bison, blackbuck, deer, kangaroos, black-capped capuchins, small-clawed otters, and ostrich. The giraffe mentioned in some places apparently never existed.

Kaikoura Seaquarium (Kaikoura) – a small free-entry aquarium run by the University of Canterbury's field station in Kaikoura. I don't know when it originally opened but it was closed after the big earthquakes of 2011.

Kaikoura Marine Centre and Aquarium (Kaikoura) – a very small operation (unrelated to the university's aquarium mentioned above) which opened in 2012 and eventually closed after further earthquakes in 2017. It was supposed to reopen once a new premises was found but this seems unlikely now.

Southern Encounter Aquarium and Kiwi House (Christchurch) – opened 1997; closed following severe earthquake damage in February 2011. See this Zoochat thread: Southern Encounter Aquarium and Kiwi House (Closed) - Further Christchurch Earthquake

North (New) Brighton Zoo and Aquarium [was also known as "The Mini Zoo"] (Christchurch) – opened in the 1940s or 50s; closed in August 1996 following the retirement of the owner. See this Zoochat thread: North Brighton Zoo - North Brighton "Mini" Zoo, historical review

Birdlands (Little River, near Christchurch) – now closed as an animal collection, being instead a forest reserve.

Salmon World (Rakaia) – an aquarium dedicated to salmon, opened 2010 and closed around 2015. See this article about its opening: Let's Travel - www.letstravelmag.com: Salmon World opens in Rakaia

Moana Zoo (Moana, near Lake Brunner) – opened 1986; closed in 2000. See this Zoochat thread: some history of the Moana Zoo (1986-2000)

Hadlow Game Park (Timaru) – opened 1973; closed in April 1986. See this Zoochat thread: some history of Hadlow Game Park, Timaru (now closed)

Landon Creek Bird Sanctuary (north of Oamaru) – closed by the SPCA due to animal neglect in October 2010. See this Zoochat thread: Landon Creek Bird Sanctuary - Landon Creek Bird Sanctuary

Westpac Trust Aquarium / NZ Marine Studies Centre [also known as Portobello Aquarium] (Dunedin) – opened in the 1930s; closed to the public in June 2012 due to the building being unsafe, following the earthquakes in Christchurch. A new public aquarium in Dunedin has been mooted. See this Zoochat thread: Portobello Aquarium - aquarium closed to public

The Reservation Animal Park and Zoological Gardens (Gore) – opened in 1998, zoo licence obtained in 2003, seems to have stopped being a zoo after a fire in 2010 [although they seemed to have mostly been a petting zoo in reality], and the property is now a B&B with a collection of farm animals.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2024
  2. Chlidonias

In this post I have divided the animal collections into categories so that it is easy to find places of specific interest (e.g. native wildlife or petting zoos).

The categories I have split them into are as follows:

1) Zoos (general animal collections, especially those with a focus on exotic wild animals)
    2) New Zealand Wildlife (collections with a predominant or sole focus on native animals, and including rescue centres which are open to visitors)
    3) Bird Collections and Aviaries (these are almost all Botanic Gardens which have an aviary or aviaries. Any bird collections which focus solely on native New Zealand species are listed under the previous category)
    4) Aquariums
    5) Butterfly Houses
    6) Museums with live animals
    7) Farm Parks and Petting Zoos (these are mostly collections which are mainly or solely housing domestic animals. I have included working farms which are open as interactive attractions - alpaca farms, especially, are often open for visitors - but I have excluded those which are only a part of holiday parks or B&Bs [i.e. for guests but not general visitors] or which are just open access farms [i.e. part of public walking routes]. I have also included emu and deer parks here)

[Some collections will be duplicated under these categories - e.g. National Kiwi Centre under both "New Zealand Wildlife" and "Aquarium"; Butterfly Creek under "Zoo" and "Butterfly House"; Otago Museum under "Butterfly House" and "Museum"]

In the original versions of this list I excluded animal collections which housed only domestics (i.e. the farm parks and petting zoos) but I have decided to include these now as I felt that the list might be of more general use that way. There are loads of these small private parks in New Zealand, so they will keep getting added as I come across them.

Websites are given for those collections which have them. ZAA full and associate member institutions are noted. (ZAA was formerly known as ARAZPA).

ZOOS:
    (General animal collections with a focus on exotic wild animals)

NORTH ISLAND

Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary (Whangarei) [formerly known as Zion Wildlife Park, Zion Wildlife Gardens, and Kingdom of Zion] [currently closed to the public]

Ti Point Reptile Park (Ti Point) [formerly known as Ti Point Wildlife Park] [ZAA member] NZ Reptile Park

Keystone Wildlife Reserve (Warkworth) [also known as Gibbs Wildlife Conservancy] [not open to public] [ZAA member]

Auckland Zoo (Auckland) [ZAA member] Auckland Zoo

Butterfly Creek (Auckland) [ZAA member] Butterfly Creek - Animal Encounters | Book Your Visit Today!

Hamilton Zoo (Hamilton) [ZAA member] Home - Hamilton Zoo

Paradise Valley Springs (Rotorua) [current ZAA member?] Paradise Valley Springs Wildlife Park

Brooklands Zoo (New Plymouth) [ZAA member]

Pouakai Zoo Park (New Plymouth) [ZAA member] Pouakai Zoo

Staglands (Akatarawa Valley, Upper Hutt) Wellington Attractions | Animal Farm | Wildlife Park & Reserve | Welcome

Wellington Zoo (Wellington) [ZAA member] Visit

SOUTH ISLAND

Natureland Zoo (Nelson) [ZAA member] Home

Orana Park (Christchurch) [ZAA member] Open Range Zoo, Christchurch NZ | Orana Wildlife Park

Willowbank Wildlife Reserve (Christchurch) [ZAA member] New Zealand Tourist Attractions | Willowbank Wildlife Reserve & Restaurant

NEW ZEALAND WILDLIFE:
    (Collections with a predominant or sole focus on native animals, and including rescue centres which are open to visitors)

NORTH ISLAND

Millennium Nocturnal Park (Kaitaia) [formerly Kaitaia Nocturnal Park; this was a kiwi house but it may have closed - I can't find any recent information and the website no longer works]

Gumdigger's Park (Kaitaia) [I think the only captive wildlife here is a display for Northland Green Geckoes] Ancient Buried Kauri forest and Gum-Digging site North of Kaitaia NZ

(Kiwi North) Heritage Museum and Kiwi House (Whangarei) [ZAA member] Whangarei Museum and Heritage Park - Kiwi North - Welcome to Kiwi North

Rainbow Springs Nature Park (Rotorua) [ZAA member] Rainbow Springs Nature Park | Unique Rotorua Attraction [closed as a regular attraction, but the Kiwi Hatchery part of the complex can still be visited by tour]

Wingspan Birds of Prey Trust (Rotorua) Wingspan National Bird of Prey Centre Rotorua New Zealand | Birds of Prey | NZ Falcon

Te Puia [formerly Whakarewarewa] Maori Arts and Crafts Institute (Rotorua) [kiwi house] [ZAA member] Te Puia - Rotorua Geothermal & Geysers | Rotorua Attraction

Otorohanga Kiwi House and Native Bird Park (Otorohanga) [ZAA member] Best place to see kiwi | Otorohanga Kiwi House, New Zealand

Westshore Wildlife Reserve (Napier) [kiwi captive breeding facility; not open to the public] [ZAA member]

Wildbase Recovery [Wildbase houses native birds; the connected Victoria Esplanade aviaries house exotic birds] (Palmerston North) [ZAA member] Wildbase Recovery – World-class rehabilitation care for New Zealand wildlife

Wildlife Foxton Trust (Foxton) [mainly native lizards, fish and invetebrates]

Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre (Mt. Bruce) [ZAA member] Pukaha Mount Bruce

Nga Manu Nature Reserve / Sanctuary (Waikanae) [ZAA member] Ngā Manu

Zealandia (Wellington) [formerly called the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary] [not a zoo at all, but their Takahe are within an enclosed compound and they also have an enclosure for Maud Island Frogs (although you are very unlikely to see them by day). Previously they also had displays for native lizards and freshwater fish] Home - Zealandia

SOUTH ISLAND

Koru Native Wildlife Centre (Grovetown, near Blenheim) [open by tour only] Koru Native Wildlife Centre

Karearea Falcon Trust (Blenheim) [has various name combinations, also including Marlborough Falcon Trust, and Marlborough Falcon Conservation Trust] [only houses NZ Falcons; open by tour only, a few months per year] Kārearea Falcon Trust

The Brook Waimarama Sanctuary (Nelson) [similarly to Zealandia in Wellington, not a zoo at all but they have live displays for native freshwater fish and geckos in the visitor centre] The Brook Waimārama Sanctuary - Returning Nature to Nelson

Peacock Springs / Isaacs Wildlife Trust (Christchurch) [not open to the public] [ZAA member] Combining Construction with Conservation » Isaac Construction

International Antarctic Centre (Christchurch) [has White-flippered and Little Blue Penguins] [ZAA member] International Antarctic Centre: Best Tourist Attraction in Christchurch, New Zealand

The National Kiwi Centre (Hokitika) [also variously and formerly known as Westland's Water World; Hokitika Water World; The NZ Eco Centre; and Jacquie Grant's Eco Centre] The National Kiwi Centre Hokitika

West Coast Wildlife Centre (Frans Josef) [has Okarito Kiwi and Tuatara] Wild Kiwi - Franz Josef, New Zealand

DoC captive-breeding centre for Black Stilt (Twizel)

The Raptor Experience / NZ Raptor Trust (Timaru) [rescue centre for birds of prey] Home

Orokonui Ecosanctuary (Dunedin) [similarly to Zealandia in Wellington, not a zoo at all but they have captive displays for Tuatara and Otago Skinks] Orokonui Ecosanctuary

Penguin Place (Dunedin) [a penguin rehabilitation centre open for tours] Home » Penguin Place - Conservation Reserve

Kiwi Birdlife Park (Queenstown) [ZAA member] http://kiwibird.co.nz/kiwi/

Te Anau Wildlife Centre (Te Anau)

Southland Museum and Art Gallery (Invercargill) [Tuatara exhibit - the museum is closed indefinitely due to earthquake-related structural issues, but the tuatara can still be viewed from outside the building]

BIRD COLLECTIONS and AVIARIES:
    (These are almost all Botanic Gardens which have an aviary or aviaries, most of which house only common aviary birds such as Budgies, Canaries, Quail, etc. Any bird collections which focus solely on native New Zealand species are listed under the previous category)

NORTH ISLAND

The Parrot Place (Kerikeri) Visiting Our Bird Park - The Parrot Place

Whitford Bird Park (Auckland) [also known as Whitford Bird Garden] Whitford Bird Garden - Introduction

Orua Bay Bird Park (Waiuku) http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/lhbg/bpark/about.html

Mill Creek Bird and Animal Encounters (Whitianga) Mill Creek Bird and Animal Encounters, Whitianga, New Zealand - /

Parana Park (Hamilton)

Katikati Bird Gardens (Katikati) http://www.birdgardens.co.nz/

Gisborne Botanic Gardens (Gisborne)

Napier Botanic Gardens (Napier)

Cornwall Park (Hastings)

Virginia Lake Gardens (Wanganui)

Kowhai Park (Feilding, near Palmerston North)

Victoria Esplanade aviaries [the Victoria Esplanade aviaries house exotic birds; the connected Wildbase facility houses native birds] (Palmerston North) [ZAA member]

Queen Elizabeth Park (Masterton)

Riddiford Garden (Civic Gardens) (Lower Hutt)

SOUTH ISLAND

Woodham Park (Christchurch)

Ashburton Botanic Gardens (Ashburton, near Christchurch)

Caroline Bay (Timaru)

Timaru Botanic Gardens (Timaru)

Oamaru Public Gardens (Oamaru)

Dunedin Botanic Gardens (Dunedin) [ZAA member]

Arahua Gardens (Clyde)

Frankton Zoological Gardens (Queenstown)

Maple Glen (Southland) Maple Glen Gardens

Gore Botanic Gardens (Gore)

AQUARIUMS:

NORTH ISLAND

Goat Island Marine Discovery Centre (Leigh) [has a touch tank and some small aquariums] Goat Island Marine Discovery Centre

Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World (Auckland) [ZAA member] SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium, Auckland | Cheapest Tickets On Official Site

Tongariro National Trout Centre [includes the Turangi National Freshwater Aquarium] (Turangi, near Taupo) https://www.troutcentre.com/

Huka Prawn Park (Taupo) Huka Prawn Park - New Zealand's only Prawn Park is 10 minutes north of Taupo

National Aquarium (Napier) [ZAA member] Things to do in Napier | Napier | Hawke's Bay | NZ | National Aquarium of New Zealand

Marine Education Centre (Island Bay, Wellington) [only open on Sundays] Octopus.org.nz

SOUTH ISLAND

The National Kiwi Centre (Hokitika) [also variously and formerly known as Westland's Water World; Hokitika Water World; The NZ Eco Centre; and Jacquie Grant's Eco Centre] The National Kiwi Centre Hokitika

BUTTERFLY HOUSES:

NORTH ISLAND

Butterfly Creek (Auckland) [ZAA member] Butterfly Creek - Family Fun | Book Your Visit Today!

West Lynn Garden Butterfly House (Auckland) [seasonal, and only Monarch Butterflies] butterflies at west lynn garden and butterfly house

SOUTH ISLAND

Discovery World Tropical Forest, at the Otago Museum (Dunedin) [ZAA member] Home

MUSEUMS WITH LIVE ANIMALS:

NORTH ISLAND

[The Auckland War Memorial Museum no longer has any live animal displays]

Te Manawa Museum of Art, Science and History (Palmerston North) [has live native invertebrates and freshwater fish] Home - Te Manawa Museum of Art, Science and Heritage

SOUTH ISLAND

[The Canterbury Museum in Christchurch has displayed live spiders including tarantulas, but currently does not do so]

South Canterbury Museum (Timaru) [has an aquarium of native freshwater fish] Home | South Canterbury Museum

Otago Museum (Dunedin) [Discovery World Tropical Forest butterfly house] [ZAA member] Home

Southland Museum and Art Gallery (Invercargill) [live Tuatara - the museum is closed indefinitely due to earthquake-related structural issues, but the tuatara can still be viewed from outside the building]

FARM PARKS and PETTING ZOOS:
    (Collections which are mainly or solely domestic or farmed animals. I have included working farms which are open as interactive attractions - alpaca farms, especially, are often open for visitors - but I have excluded those which are only a part of holiday parks or B&Bs [i.e. for guests but not general visitors] or which are just open access farms [i.e. part of public walking routes])

NORTH ISLAND

Serendipity Farm Park (Whangarei)

Bluewater Farm Park (near Whangarei) [also known as "Whangarei's Zoo"]

Kandiah Alpacas (Waipu) Alpaca Farm Experience and Accommodation

Sheep World (Warkworth) Sheepworld - Home

Matakana Country Park (Matakana) Matakana Country Park

Silverhill Alpacas (North Auckland) Alpaca Farm North Auckland Northland

Kiwi Valley (Henderson, Auckland) Kiwi Valley Farm | Auckland rural family fun park

Mt Albert Grammar School Farm (ASB MAGS Farm) (Mt Albert, Auckland) About the farm - Mount Albert Grammar School

Ambury Regional Park (Auckland) [There are many other council-operated farms in Auckland, which can be found on the council website page for regional parks: Auckland Council]

Crystal Mountain (Swanson, Auckland) Animal Park & Rides

Clevedon Animal Farm (Clevedon, Auckland) https://www.clevedonanimalfarm.co.nz/

Cuesta Alpacas (Clevedon) Home - Cuesta, for Jet Black Alpacas

Glenbrook Farm Park (Glenbrook)

Close Encounters Farm Experience (Te Kohanga) Click n Call – Click n Call

Whiti Farm Park (Whitianga) http://www.whitifarmpark.co.nz/

Mill Creek Bird and Animal Encounters (Whitianga) Mill Creek Bird and Animal Encounters, Whitianga, New Zealand - /

Cornerstone Alpaca Stud (Gordonton) Cornerstone Alpaca Stud Home

Ataahua Alpacas (Hamilton) Build a Free Website - Sitebeat

Waikato Pony Rides and Petting Zoo (Hamilton) http://waikatoponyridesandpettingzoo.website/

Bullswool Farm and Nature Park (Karangaheke Gorge) Home | Bullswool Farm Heritage Park

Marshall's Animal Park (Tauranga) Marshalls Animal Park

Agrodome (Rotorua) Unique New Zealand Farm Experience | Agrodome Rotorua

Surico Alpaca Farm (Rotorua) home page

Mini Golf Rotorua (Rotorua)

Lilliput Farm Fun and Animal Park (Taupo) Park Farm – My Blog

Nevalea Alpacas (Taumaranui) Welcome to Nevalea Alpacas | Farm and Shop | Taumarunui

Top Mill Alpaca Farm (Raurimu) http://www.topmillalpaca.co.nz/

Ranui Farm Park (Waipukarau) Mountain Bike Tracks | Walking & Running | Events | Retreats | Ranui Farm Park

Kidzplay and Funky Farm Petting Zoo (Mangateretere, near Hastings) https://www.funkyfarm.co.nz/

Hawkes Bay Farmyard Zoo (Haumoana, near Hastings) HAWKES BAY FARMYARD ZOO

Waitomo Big Bird and Miniature Animal Petting Farm (Otorohanga) Waitomo Big Bird B&B & Petting Farm - Waitomo, New Zealand

Roselands Farm Park (Waitomo) http://www.hamiltonwaikato.com/experiences/all-activities/roselands-farm-park/

Stoney Oaks Wildlife Park (Inglewood) Stoney Oaks Wildlife Park

Ashley Park (Waitotara) http://www.ashleypark.co.nz/animals.html

Flat Hills Cafe and Tourist Park (Ohingaiti)

Queen Elizabeth Park (Masterton) [aviary and a deer park]

Kahikatea Gardens (Greytown) Kahikatea Garden Tours

Martinborough Manor Farm Tour (Martinborough) Martinborough Manor

The Deer Story Museum (Manakau, near Otaki) [farm park - has Fallow and Red Deer] INTRODUCING THE DEER STORY… MUSEUM NEW ZEALAND

Cantharis Alpacas (Kapiti Coast) https://nzalpaca.co.nz/

Emudale (Paraparaumu) [Emu farm - I don't know if this is still operating]

Bluebank Blueberry and Emu Farm (Akatarawa, Upper Hutt) http://www.bluebank.co.nz/

Reikorangi Pottery and Animal Park (near Waikanae) http://www.reikorangi.com/

Trickle Creek (Horokiwi, Wellington)

SOUTH ISLAND

Walnut Ranch (Blenheim) https://www.walnutranch.co.nz/animal-park

Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary (Koromiko, Blenheim) [only open on Saturdays] https://teparanui.nz/

Anatoki Salmon (Takaka) [also includes Wild Earth Nature Park, formerly Bencarri Nature Park] https://www.anatokisalmon.co.nz/tame-eels-cafe/

Animal Farm (Upper Moutere) https://www.animalfarm.co.nz/

Wild Oats Farm (Pretty Bridge Valley, near Nelson) http://www.wildoatsfarm.co.nz/

Red Barn Cafe and Animal Park (Murchison)

Fyffe View Ranch Adventure Park (Kaikoura)

Kaikoura Llama Trekking (Kaikoura) http://www.llamatrekking.co.nz/

Hanmer Springs Animal Park (Hanmer Springs) [also known as Wai Ariki Farm Park or Wai Ariki Nature Park] http://hanmer-animal-park.nz/

Hanmer Llamas (Hanmer Springs) http://hanmerllamas.nz/

Woodlands Cafe, Playground and Petting Zoo (Leithfield)

Wee Dram Farm Park (Rangiora) https://www.weedramfarm.co.nz/

Seafield Wildlife Park (Spencerville, Christchurch) [formerly called Spencer Park Wildlife Park, Spencerville Wildlife Reserve, or Spencerville Wildlife Park] [now just a few aviaries and livestock pens]

Sherlin Alpaca Stud (West Melton, Christchurch) https://www.sherlin-alpaca.co.nz/

Glenlothian Farm (West Melton, Christchurch) https://www.glenlothianfarm.co.nz/

Silverstream Alpaca Farmstay (Christchurch) http://www.alpacafarmstay.co.nz/

Arion Farm Education Park (Christchurch) http://www.arionfarmpark.co.nz/

Shamarra Alpaca Farm Tours (Akaroa) http://www.shamarra-alpacas.co.nz/farm-tours/

Living Springs Farm Park (Lyttleton) http://www.livingsprings.co.nz/Day+Programmes/Farm+Park+visits.html

Awatere Alpacas (Springston) http://www.awaterealpacas.co.nz/

Warwickz Farm (Dunsandel) http://www.warwickzfarm.com/

Gem Alpaca Farm Tours (Fairlie) https://www.gemalpacas.nz/

Alpaca Walks (Geraldine) http://alpacawalks.co.nz/

Farmyard Holiday Park (Geraldine) http://www.thefarmyardholidaypark.co.nz/

Enkle Doo Very Korna (Waimate) [wallaby park]

Famlan Farm Park (Timaru) https://www.southproud.co.nz/listing/famlan-farm-park/

Westmere Lavender Farm and Petting Zoo (Kurow) http://www.westmerelavender.co.nz/

Establo Alpacas (Dunedin) http://www.stonebarn.co.nz/

Flagstaff Alpacas (Dunedin) http://www.flagstaffalpacas.co.nz/

Dun Eden Family Farm (Glen Ross, near Dunedin) http://www.dunedenfamilyfarm.co.nz/

The Animal Ark (Mosgiel, Dunedin)

Wanaka Lavender Farm (Wanaka) https://www.wanakalavenderfarm.com/

Glenorchy Animal Experience (Glenorchy) http://glenorchyanimalexperience.co.nz/

Paqocha Alpaca (Queenstown) http://www.paqocha.co.nz/

Bannerman Park (Gore) [deer park]

Last edited: 3 Mar 2024
    Terry Thomas likes this.
  3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is there a Franklin Zoo at Pokeno... ...south of Auckland?

4. Chlidonias

Franklin Zoo now added. I'd never heard of it before!

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Very comprehensive list, well done

6. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

7. Chlidonias

that's interesting. That place is Seahorse World with a new name and new website. I've added it to where Seahorse World was on the list

8. NZ Jeremy

I thought it was a bit strange Picton "had" two Aquariums...

Looks like they removed the shark tank and added terrariums...

Last edited: 5 Jan 2008
  9. Chlidonias

yep, one of the things that is quite noticeable is how many places have (often regular) name changes, or have various alternative official names (even on their own websites sometimes!)

10. Chlidonias

that's right. The shark pool was the best thing there. It was a doughnut-shaped one with a staircase going up above it then down into the middle, so you could see the sharks from above and then through the window (they were small sharks, because its only a little aquarium).

Shark pool's gone, but the stairs up to the first platform remain. The new terrarium section is displaying species that are being reintroduced to Maud Island in Cook Strait. DoC is using the opportunity to allow the aquarium to display them in order to enhance the local awareness of the island and the conservation work going on there. There are or will be tuatara, various skinks and geckoes, and weta. Native frogs may be in the works too but they don't make good display animals.

11. Chlidonias

12. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

franklin zoo looks great- a nice small collection! new zeland look to have a huge aray of zoos! for 5 mill ppl, new zleand certainly has an extensive collection!

franklin zoo also is joining arazpa the sites says.

13. NZ Jeremy

I've never been (in fact I've never been to S.I.) I just compared the two maps...

The Parrot Ranch I just stumbled onto too (website that is)... They have quite extensive reptile collection from the looks of things all held in Exo terra's... Privately run it looks like...

14. NZ Jeremy

They weren't accredited were they.. Is it usual for non-accredited facilities to get Tautara, etc..?

Last edited: 9 Jan 2008
  15. Chlidonias

do you mean because they're not part of ARAZPA? Its not really relevant. DoC checks the enclosures where native wildlife is displayed, if DoC don't approve it then you don't get them. None of the DoC-run facilities are part of ARAZPA either (Mt. Bruce, Te Anau Wildlife Centre, etc)

16. Chlidonias

few of them are actual zoo-type zoos (like Wellington, Auckland, Hamilton, Orana, for example). Most are small "hobby zoos" if you like, or privately-run bird collections, things like that.

Also, there aren't 5 million people in NZ -- there's only about 4.1 million I think.

17. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

there would be 8 million in N.Z if we sent all the kiwis living Sydney home.:p

18. NZ Jeremy

I think there are about 1 million kiwi's overseas, (not the bird), if memory serves...

19. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Too many, if memory serves. I think it would be better if there were Six hundred and Sixty Six Kiwis overseas

20. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

do kiwis eat fish... or chips. . . ?