Join our zoo community

Pueblo Zoo

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Fossa dude, 18 Jan 2011.

Tags:
?

Do ZooChat members want a virtual walk through of Pueblo Zoo

1. Yes!

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I wouldn't even look at it because it wouldn't be useful.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

The pueblo Zoo is a small zoo in Pueblo Co. I have been there a couple times and since of its size I thought it would be cool to make a whole virtual gallery of this zoo that shows steep by steep of this zoo. I have planed a trip sometime in the spring when thing are looking pretty again in Colorado and not snowy, cold, and lifeless.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't voted yet because I am not sure what you mean. If it is just tons of photos in the gallery, I would say no - just limit it to a selection. But if it is some time of external link where we click to go to that site and then it runs automatically, then I say yes - go for it!

3. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I agree with Arizona Docent, I think on here it's best to limit it to highlights but I love finding out about smaller collections. Do you have a map of the zoo? The website doesn't seem to feature one.

4. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

I heard this zoo has dik-dik. Is that true?

5. Fossa dude

Ya a male Gunthers. Why?

6. KCZooFan

It just seems like they are being phased out, especially small zoos.

7. Fossa dude

Ya, I have only seen a couple and in zoos and really only Kirk's or Guenther's. Denver Finally has there back on exhibit and I have some photos of them that I will load.

Shirokuma - Ya, highlights and good photos belong on zoo chat. Ya, the site is a little hard to control. I think they do but anyway i will put the map on the gallery with some of the other pueblo zoo photos.

Arizona Docent - Ya, I totally get it. That does make since. I like the idea of making a site that goes through the zoo completely. When I figure it out.( haha;)) I'll send you the link. I was also thinking of doing that with some other smaller Ks zoos ( Garden City, Rolling Hills, Cheyenne Mountain which is not in ks but kinda small)

8. KCZooFan

I was actually thinking of doing something similar if I go and see a bunch of Kansas zoos this Spring Break (Safari Zoological Park, Clay Center Zoo, Wright Park Zoo, David Traylor Zoo, Lee Richardson Zoo, Tanganyika Wildlife Park, Brit Spaugh Zoo, Hutchinson Zoo, Ralph Mitchell Zoo, Sunset Zoo, Rolling Hills, and of course Sedgwick county.)

And Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is most certainly not small.

9. Fossa dude

Haha have fun at Clay Center ;) I think it joins up with those pics of Las Vegas Zoo I took. Wow thats awesome. I have always wanted to go to the Sunset Zoo.

I guess I'm just used to the up and down walk that makes me think it is. I spend quite a lot of time at certain exhibits and still get done faster so I usually go back a different way to see if a different animal is active at a different time. Do you like its oldness or does that not come to you like it does me. I was a little angry when they closed the tropical house. Even though you would puke right when u got in.

10. KCZooFan

I definatly don't want to go to Clay Center for it exhibitry. Of course, Clay Center is smaller than Las Vegas :) Both Sunset and David TRaylor are fairly close to my home, so I may do those sooner.

I suppose, but the collection is quite large, and they have some rare animals, the first of which comes to mind is the mountain tapirs. I am a history nut, in all aspects of life, including zoos, but the problem with zoos is, old exhibits aren't usually very good. I am not sure what the tropical house was.

11. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Until Sims can resolve the issue with photo storage on the site, I am not in favor of anyone dumping lots of photos here. It simply forces other photos to disappear.

In an ideal situation, I would love to see photos of the same enclosure from multiple photographers on different days in different years... but right now such excesses could cause all pictures of the zoos of Russia or Thailand or Utah to be wiped away.

Hold off posting them here until Sims has an answer to this problem please.

But if you plan on posting them to an outside site with a link then I'm very much in favor of it!

Last edited: 22 Jan 2011
  12. Fossa dude

@ Zooplantman - cool ya.

Las Vegas Zoo Visitor Information - Southern Nevada Zoo

Clay Center Zoo- Clay Center, Kansas - Clay Center Zoo

KCZoo Fan - I really like the older exhibits in zoos. Of coarse I like newer ones but the zoo has a boat load of older parts and I find then more enjoyable to look at. The Aquatic Room is my favorite.
    The rainforest part was the room that had a tiny exhibit for 4 fishing cats that stunk up the place.

13. KCZooFan

I often use that website with the Clay Center Zoo on it to find things to do near my house.

I also like the aquatic building. Obviously it doesn't have its species organized very well, but I like what they have in there (hippos, penguins, komodos, otters). Of couse, I haven't been since 2007, so it may have changed. At my local Topeka Zoo, there is a small room with fishing cats, and it smells of urine. I am guessing that the species (or maybe small cats as a whole) shouldn't be kept in a small room.