Join our zoo community

Puerto Rican Crested Toad

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Jon Allyn, 1 Aug 2018.

1. Jon Allyn

Jon Allyn Member

New Project in the Works!

I am hoping to acquire PR Crested Toads from Puerto Rico!

Any info or tips on care, husbandry and breeding would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Jon

2. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've worked with them, they're simultaneously easy and frustrating at the same time.

They're not terribly active, nor are they terribly showy. They're primarily nocturnal, and enjoy hiding during the day, either in the substrate or in enclosed spaces found in their enclosure. Feeding is fairly straight forwards, ours weren't super picky, they would eat crickets, mealworms, hornworms, butterworms, and waxworms. Ours definitely did better when kept on the more humid side of things. However they're not terribly strong swimmers, any water sources should be fairly shallow, a three inch deep water dish is more than sufficient, ideally with sloped sides so they can sit with their body submerged but head out of the water.

We never bred ours, but they need to undergo a winter cooling period to stimulate breeding.

The main issue we had with ours was that they were incredibly prone to having an unusually high parasite load, despite regular de-worming. None of our other amphibians did, so I'm not sure if the PRCT's are just more prone to picking them up, or something else was amiss.

Overall, the guide Ebirah posted will answer all of of your questions better than I can, lol. However if you want I'm always happy to offer my opinion as well :)

Ebirah766 likes this.