Join our zoo community

Oregon Zoo puma born at AZA accredited zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 9 Oct 2010.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The reason for the title of this thread is that, as far as I know, the AZA has had a moratorium on breeding pumas for well over a decade. All AZA puma exhibits are supposed to be (and in fact are) stocked with cubs rescued as orphans in the wild. The ironic part is that Oregon Zoo is the one that coordinates this program, taking in the cubs and then transferring them to other zoos. So why did they breed their own pumas?

I don't know much of the details, just found this notice on the news blurbs on the side of ZooChat. Although I am puzzled by this, I am also intrigued since pumas are the only big cat I do not have a picture of as cubs. I have long wanted to get a shot, so now I may need to go to Portland. (Not that I can afford to go anywhere having just got back from Europe, but we will see what happens).

Healthy cougar cub born at Oregon Zoo | kgw.com | KGW Local News | Portland, Oregon

2. Arizona Docent

Well, to answer my own question, I just found this statement in the press release on the zoo's website:

"For many years, the AZA plan did not recommend breeding cougars in captivity, but that policy was recently amended because of zoos' increased capacity to house the cats. The Oregon Zoo's cub is the first in the country to be born under the new policy."

3. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow, it is ironic that the Oregon Zoo just got a pair of orphan cougars cubs too. Well this is good news for Cougars fans!

4. Arizona Docent