Join our zoo community

Purple faced langurs

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Writhedhornbill, 6 Jun 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that belfast was the only zoo in the UK to keep the species. Then I heard that Twycross and edinburgh each had a pair. Can someone help me please!!

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross definately have/had(?) them- more than a single pair it is/was a small group about four adults and they have bred at least one too. They are a good. active species of langur, the male in particular looks rather aggressive bounding around the enclosure- maybe its the dark face....

Don't know about Belfast's. I doubt any other UK collections have them.

3. Writhedhornbill

I have just Checked on Isis, and Belfast has 1.1, Tycross ahs a t least a pair and Edinburgh has a male different subspecies. Singapore zoo has a very large collection of this species.

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

perth had a pair - but sent them to a zoo somewhere in the UK a couple of years ago - can't remember which one, but no doubt a couple of those animals mentioned are the perth ones.......

5. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

the ones from perth went to edinburgh, i saw them when i was there in the primate building. at the time they were still settling in, and were partially screened by hessian, but there was info up saying that these animals were from an australian zoo. i joined the dots

6. Writhedhornbill

There is only a male now according to ISIS. Maybe the female died. They are considerably rarer in zoos than other languars such as the javan languar. Hopefully they'll breed and we'll have a larger captive population in case the species becomes endangered. It could easily happen at the rate of Deforestation and plantation of Oil palms.

7. Coquinguy

yes but if it was to be viable in captivity it would, unfortunately, have to get much more endangered and need a captive program, thereby allowing a founder colony to be bought in from the wild

8. Writhedhornbill

Don't Douc langurs need that? They are very rare and only a few zoos keep them?

9. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

purple faced langurs come from the hill country of sri lanka. i saw them when i was there. they are also called "bear langurs" for some reason. i don't think they are particuarly endangered and if so my guess would be the threat of tea plantations, not palm oil.

10. Coquinguy

i dont think douc langurs need zoos just yet, see the debate under i think golden monkeys at la zoo. youll see who's on what side of the fence hornbill, lol

11. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

it look as though edinburgh zoo is about to reinvigorate the breeding of these animals by importing 5 animals from singapore a big investment by edinburgh and sending their male to singapore