Join our zoo community

Paradise Wildlife Park PWP - White Lions?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by JamesB, 3 Sep 2008.

1. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know that paradise wildlife park used to house white lions upto a while ago, what happened to them as i believe they were only one of two collections to house them in the u.k. (wmsp being the other)

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They still have them,but they are the proper colour and not the talcum powdered coloured ones at West Mids.When i visited on27/07/2008 they had 1.2.1 (Panthera leo krugeri).

3. JamesB

so why are wmsp still boasting about having the only white lions in uk?

4. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

Have the Paradise Park lions bred then? Where were their females sourced from? Are they 2 from WMSP? Do WMSP display all 19 lions together? There must be fights between the males now?

5. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I think PWP just has one male white lion. And WMSP does boast the only PRIDE of white lions, so technically they're not lying :p
    And Rolo and his oldest son (who I think is called Casper) rotate between the house and outdoor enclosures, along with some of the females, although I don't know why.

6. zoogiraffe

Paradise Park has females again to got with the male sourced from a collection in Europe that keeps this sub-species and they have a cub that was rejected and is been hand reared.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2008
  7. JamesB

well i think someone should pop wmsp a email, as i think it kind of lying about its main attraction, it should state biggest pride in the u.k

8. zoogiraffe

Well they are the only truely White Lions in the U.K as Paradise are just lighter normal coloured Lions that just happen to carry the White gene.

9. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

paradise used to have a male and female white lion but unfortunaly the female was put to sleep as she had a problem with her spine? not sure what it was. so they still have the male white lion but have now brought in a female who carries the gene also.
    stu