Join our zoo community

California Academy of Sciences Pygmy seahorses at Steinhart Aquarium (CA Academy of Sciences)

Discussion in 'United States' started by temp, 30 May 2016.

1. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Yes, it obviously should have said seahorse (not seahose) in the headline!

Two years ago Steinhart Aquarium (California Academy of Sciences) became to the first aquarium in the world to successfully keep and breed a species of pygmy* seahorse, specifically the Bargibant's pygmy seahorse (Hippocampus bargibanti). The seahorse itself was apparently not that hard to keep once the aquarium had cracked keeping Muricella gorgonians, the exclusive habitat of the species:

Rarely-Seen Pygmy Sea Horses Hatch at Steinhart Aquarium - ZooBorns

However, this was all behind the scenes and out of view for visitors. At the time there were talks about making an exhibit for the species. Does anyone know if this ever materialized? Has it been on display?

*Dwarf seahorse (H. zosterae) has been kept with some frequency in aquariums, but it is not a true pygmy seahorse.

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

These were my main driving point behind visiting Steinhart Aquarium. After my email inquiring about them wasn't answered (two months later- now it's been over half a year and they've still not replied), I decided against visiting. Through extensive googling and searching this site, I figured out that they were on display in the staff choice section (staff chooses what to display). Whether they are still there, or have a permanent exhibit at all, I haven't a clue, but they were definitely on exhibit at one point.

3. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Excellent, thanks for the reply.

(and thanks to the moderator who corrected the headline typo.)