Join our zoo community

Pyrenean Desman & Wallcreeper Footage Needed

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by jasonpeters, 25 Mar 2011.

1. jasonpeters

jasonpeters Member

Hello, I wonder if anyone knows of a zoo or other institution that would have the Pyrenean Desman and/or Wallcreeper in captivity. We need to film both species for a conservation documentary on the Pyrenees and have failed to find them in the wild thus far... If someone knows of a good site to find them in the wild, then that info' would also be most welcome! Thanks.

2. Saro

Saro Well-Known Member

Alpenzoo Innsbruck (Austria) keeps the Wallcreeper!

3. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member

The BBC have filmed the Pyrenean desman in the wild judging from this video:

ARKive - Pyrenean desman video

It might be worth contacting someone in the Natural History Unit to see if they're willing to share their secret. (I notice your location is Bristol, so I suppose you might even work there yourself!)

Also found this youtube video - not the best footage, but filmed in the Picos de Europa in 1996 according to the description.

www. youtube.com/watch?v=w448G1eI228

Good luck!

Last edited: 26 Mar 2011
  4. jasonpeters

jasonpeters Member

Many thanks... I'd seen a photo on their website but hadn't received a response to my enquires... One to pursue! Cheers

5. jasonpeters

jasonpeters Member

Thanks Chris... I had seen the ARKive & YouTube footage you've mentioned, but yes, perhaps I should hit someone up at the BBC... They are notoriously secretive however! So are Desman, which is why I was looking to find them in captivity or some current research taking place in the field... Lots of dead ends so far however! Cheers.

6. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member

By coincidence I first read this post last week whilst staying with my sister and brother-in-law who have a Chambres D'Hote in Olette in the French Pyrenees . The leaflet for the Nyer Nature Reserve in the adjoining valley states that Desmans are present . Whilst out for a walk last Thursday the road followed a fast-flowing small river and I kept looking in the water , stones and bank but saw nothing - as usual . I really would love to see a Desman , a fascinating creature . Wildlife in the area is generally very shy , due to the hunters being out at weekends .

7. jasonpeters

jasonpeters Member

Thanks Bele... It appears there are not any desman kept in captivity, so we will have to try and find them in the wild... I will look into the Nyer Nature Reserve area now for sure!

8. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

9. jasonpeters

jasonpeters Member

Thanks devilfish, that's really helpful. It just goes to show how difficult it is to even find the desman, let alone film them! We have found a scientist and a good site and have been out once without seeing them but shall be returning there at some point with high hopes! Thanks again.

10. jasonpeters

jasonpeters Member

Update: We did end up getting some good footage of the wallcreeper at the Alpenzoo! Thank you!! :)

11. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member

Jason, out of curiosity did you ever manage to find and film the desman?