Join our zoo community

Python Eats Crocodile: Impressive, but I've Seen Larger Meals!

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by findi, 9 Mar 2014.

Tags:
  1. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    Recently, dramatic photos of an Olive Python, Liasis olivaceus, swallowing an Australian Freshwater Crocodile, Crocodylus johnstoni, have been much in the news. A very interesting story, no doubt, but actually a 3-4 foot long croc is well within the size range of prey taken by large pythons. In past articles I’ve mentioned some of the astonishing snake meals I’ve been witness to (please see articles linked below). One, a 60 pound White-tailed Deer taken by a huge Green Anaconda in Venezuela, would be hard for me “to swallow” (sorry!) had I not been awakened by the snake disgorging it below my hammock in the wee hours! A 5-foot-long Spectacled Caiman grabbed by another took 6+ hours to subdue. I’ve also searched my notes for feeding accounts recorded by Messrs. Ditmars, Pope, Greene, Kauffeld and other notables, and thought I’d take this opportunity to share them with my fellow snake enthusiasts…Enjoy! Read the rest of this article here Python Eats Crocodile - Tales of Big Snake Eating | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

3. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Nice read, Frank. I have a question of the Savanna Side-necked turtle you have labelled as Podocnemis unifilis. Savanna Side-necked Turtles are Podocnemis vogli and Podocnemis unifilis are Yellow-spotted Side-necked Turtles. Was the turtle in question, P. vogli or P. unifilis?

4. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Thanks very much, I'd missed that! That is a bit larger than the largest I found in Venezuela, which was just over 17 feet and 26 inches in girth. An 18+ ft anaconda was taken on Trinidad many years ago (same snake that had been mistakenly ID's as a Boa, and reported as such in several books. I'll pass this on to a co-worker now in Guyana...he's seen some huge ones, but all in rivers, no way to get near them so far, best, Frank

5. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Thanks for picking up on that, it was P. vogli, which were very common there,

best, Frank