Join our zoo community

Pythons and Boas in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 6 Nov 2021.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another overview of an animal-group in captivity. From reptiles still only a few groups are represented in overviews and the only I know of sofar is my own thread "Monitor-lizards in captivity" ( see : Monitor-lizards in captivity ).
    Now I want to try to give an overview of a snake-group known very well, even by not-animal people and from which a number of species is ( very ) well represented in captivity, both in public and in private collections. Others however are only ( very ) rarely kept and others even complete unknown in captivity.
    Goal of this thread is to look which species are kept, which already have been bred in captivity and from which species there are already photos in our Gallery. Also further intresting information / news about the species can find a place in this thread.
    First a small overview of the 2 Superfamilies in this thread :
    Superfamily Pythonoidea
    3 Families :
    - Loxocemidae : 1 species
    - Pythonidae : 38 species
    - Xenopeltidae : 2 species

Superfamily Booidae
    7 Subfamilies :
    - Boinae : 36 species
    - Ungaliophiinae : 3 species
    - Erycinae : 13 species
    - Calabariinae : 1 species
    - Candoiinae : 5 species
    - Sanziniinae : 4 species
    - Charininae : 4 species

2 other Families are placed by THE REPTILE DATABASE ( THE REPTILE DATABASE ) not in the 2 Superfamilies but listed as "currently not assigned to any Superfamily" but because the are both known as Boas I will include them also in this thread :

- Family Bolyeriidae : 2 species
    - Family Tropidophiidae : 35 species

The taxonomy of the Pythons and Boas is still in progress and splits and lumpings of several taxons have taken place even recently and also new species are discribed from time to time. As said I will use the taxonomy of THE REPTILE DATABASE

2. vogelcommando

Species acounts ( Part I )

Superfamily Pythonoidea
    Family Loxocemidae
    Genus Loxocemus - 1 species
    - Loxocemus bicolor - Mexican burrowing python, also known as Neotropical sunbeam snake
    General info : Loxocemus bicolor
    A rare species in captivity and ZTL only lists 5 collections keeping them : 1 in Moldoa, 3 in Russia and one in Taiwan. For the USA I found 3 collection which have / had the species : Hogle Zoo, Louisville Zoo and San Antonio Zoo.
    In the private trade the species can also be found from time to time but they are still very rare.
    Breeding : I found only 2 notes about zoos which have bred the species. The San Antonio Zoo bred them 1992 and Moscow Zoopark bred some in 1995.
    It has also been bred by private keepers and some notes on one of these breedings can be found here :
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...urrowing_Python_Loxocemus_bicolor_Loxocemidae
    In our Gallery I only found 2 photos from which the best is this one, made by @Zaz at the Kishinev Zoo :

3. vogelcommando

Part II :

Superfamily Pythonoidea
    Family Pythonidae
    Genus Antaresia - 4 species ( eventual 5 )
    - Antaresia childreni - Children's python
    General info : Antaresia childreni
    In European zoos a rather rare species and ZTL lists 7 European collections and 1 in Israel. In the USA its at least kept at the Columbus Zoo and for Australia at the SteveMCEwan's Reptile World, Daintree Discovery Centre and the South Australian Museum. In the private trade the species is fairly common - at least in Europe and I've seen it in quite a number of private collections ( and even taken care for it myself ).
    THE REPTILE DATABASE don't recognize the Large-blotched or Stimsons python ( Antaresia stimsoni ) as being a true species and threat is as a synonym of the Children's python but at most zoos and in the private trade it still is seen as its own species and therefor I will deal with it as being so. This taxon is kept at 8 European zoos ( 6 without mention the subspecies and 2 with Antaresia stimsoni orientalis ). In Australia the 'species' is kept at least at the Wildlife HQ Zoo and at the Taronga Zoo. The Stimsons python can also be found in the private trade.
    Breeding : Several zoos have bred with the Children's python : Regensburg ( 2010 ), Zürich ( 1985 ), London and Newquay. In the 1970s Melbourne was very succesfull with the species and from a group of 1 male and 4 females they got 6 clutches with a total of 61 eggs of which 32 hatched.
    From the Stimsons python I found only a note that Cologne Zoo bred it 2014.
    In our Gallery both Children's and Stimsons python are represented with some nice photos like this Children's python from @KevinB made at Planckendael :
    and a Stimsons python, made by @Therabu at Berlin Zoo :

- Antaresia maculosa - Spotted python
    2 subspecies : A. m. maculosa and A. m peninsularis
    General info : Antaresia maculosa
    Also quite rare in European zoos - ZTL lists 5 European collections currently keeping the species. Outside of Europe I only found that the Walkabout Creek Discovery Centre in Australia keeps / kept the species but because it's quite common in the private trade it's well possible that the species is kept at a number of more public collections.
    Breeding : Didn't find information about zoo-breedings of this species but a breeding-result at a private collection can be found here : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargan...7-239 Kroeze, Breeding Antaresia maculosa.pdf
    In the Gallery the species is represented with some good photos like this one, made by myself at a Herptile fair in the Netherlands :

- Antaresia papuensis - Papuan spotted python
    General info : Antaresia papuensis
    A species which was only discribed this year ( 2021 ) and from which I was unable to find any information of it being kept in captivity and also in our Gallery it still is not represented.

- Antaresia perthensis - Pygmy python, also known as Anthill python
    General info : Antaresia perthensis
    A rarely kept species in public collections and in Europe it's not kept at all at the moment but in the past it has been kept at Tierpark Berlin and the Reptilpark Oslo. In the USA the St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park has / had the species. In the private trade I have already seen the species but only on a few occasions.
    Breeding : Didn't found any notes about zoo-breeding of the species but in private collections the species has been bred and a breeding-report can be found here : THE ANT-HILL PYTHON - ANTARESIA PERTHENSIS FROM WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    In our Gallery there are a few photos of this species like this one, made by @Zoological Point at St. Augustine :

to be continued...

4. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I've recently seen Spotted Python, A. maculosa at Ipswich Nature Centre, David Fleay Wildlife Park, Walkabout Creek Wildlife Centre, Wildlife HQ and Wild Life Sydney Zoo. There are many other Australian zoos that hold them being such a common species here.
    Taronga had Pygmy Python, A. perthensis when I visited their reptile house two years ago. I’ve also seen recent mention that Snakes Downunder Reptile Park and Zoo also houses them. I should also say that Antaresia pythons represent some of the most commonly-kept snakes in Australian zoos being of an appropriate size for educational animals. They are widespread in the pet trade as well being recommended as the ideal starter snake, almost functioning as a corn snake substitute.

vogelcommando likes this.
  5. vogelcommando

Part III :

Genus Apodora - 1 species
    - Apodora papuana - Papua python, also known as Papuan olive python
    General info : Apodora papuana
    A rarely kept species which is kept currently at 3 European collection. For the USA I found that the Knoxvill Zoo and Dallas Zoo have kept ( are keeping ? ) the species and in Asia at least Dusit Zoo in Thailand and Tamar Safari Bogor have had the species. In Middle America Reptilandia in Costa Rica seems to have it. In private hands the species is very rarely kept.
    Breeding : at least 3 zoos have bred the species in the past. Knoxvill Zoo claims to have had the World-first-breeding with the species in 1984/1985 and in Russia both Zoopark Moscow and Tula have bred the Papuan python. Also there are some breeding-results known from private keepers. An abstract of the breeding at Knoxville can be found here : Reproduction in a little‐known New Guinea Python, Liasis papuanus (Peters and Doria)
    Remarks : Raymond T. Hoser has discribed 2 subspecies ( A. p. cyrilhoseri and A. p. sharonhoserae ) but these 2 are rejected by most serious scientists.
    In our Gallery there are a few photos of the Papuan python like this one, made by @Zoological Point at the Dallas Zoo :

Genus Aspidites - 2 species
    - Aspidites melanocephalus - Black-headed python
    One of the more commonly kept species. In European zoos there are at the moment 14 holders and in the USA I counted at least 14 public holdings. In Japan IZoo has it and in Australia - the home-land of the species at least 11 collection have it on display but prob. many more. In the private trade the species is much sought for and the prizes are still quite high so it's still attractive to breed the species.
    Breeding : As said, the species is breeding well in private collections but for zoos I only found a short note that London Zoo bred it 2017 but I'm sure more zoos have been succesfull in doing so.
    In our Gallery the species is well represented and one of the photos, made at a Herptile fair by myself can be seen here :
    Remarks : Took care for this species in a private collection which was very succesfull in breeding the species in the Netherlands and here even the first mutation was bred.
    An Husbandry Manual for the species can be found here :
    http://nswfmpa.org/Husbandry Manuals/Published Manuals/Reptilia/Black Headed Python.pdf

- Aspidites ramsayi - Woma python
    General info : Aspidites ramsayi
    Another Australian species which is well-represented in both European ( 15 zoos ) and the USA ( at least 14 collections ). Also in Australian zoos it can be seen at a good number of places.in The species is also kept reasonalbe numbers by private breeders.
    Breeding : Also for this species I didn't find any breeding-report from zoos but know it was bred at Zoo Berlin ( 2011 ), Tierpark Bochum ( 2019 ) and Zoo Jihlava ( 2020 ).
    In our Gallery there is a good number of photos like this one, made by @UngulateNerd92 at Abilene Zoo :
    Remarks : 3 subspecies discribed by Raymond T. Hoser ( A. r. richardjonesi, A.r neildavieli and A. r. panoptes ) are normaly not recognized by the majority of herpetologists.
    This is another species for which I took care and bred at a private collection in the Netherlands.
    Also for this species an Husbandry Manual has been published which can be found here:
    https://aszk.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Reptiles.-Woma-2009SG.pdf

To be continued...

Last edited: 9 Nov 2021
  6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can I suggest that you would be better off avoiding mentioning R. Hoser and his taxonomic vandalism...?

7. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would like to second this notion.

8. Zoological Point

Zoological Point Well-Known Member 5+ year member

R. Hoser isn't a herpetologist, he's a joke. An awful joke at that.

TinoPup, vogelcommando and Batto like this.
  9. vogelcommando

Part IV :

Genus Bothrochilus - 1 species
    - Bothrochilus boa - Ringed python, also known as the Bismarck ( ringed ) python.
    General info : Bothrochilus boa
    At the moment a rare species in European collections and ZTL lists only 4 public collections keeping it. In the USA I also found only very few collections which have / had It : Mesker Park Zoo, Dallas Zoo and Animal World and Snake Farm. In the private trade the species is kept in small numbers.
    Breeding : Just found 1 remark of a zoo-breeding and this was at Blijdorp - Rotterdam Zoo in 2002. In private hands it's bred in somewhat bigger numbers but still not much.
    In the Gallery there are a few photos of the Ringed python like this one made by @Therabu at Berlin Tierpark :
    Remarks : Took care and bred this species at a private collection in the Netherlands and without any doubt the juveniles of this species belong to the most beautiful snakes I've ever taken care for. One little negative aspect of the species is ( at least with the animals I took care for ) that they are quite aggresive, esp. the young ones.

Genus Leiopython - 2 species
    - Leiopython albertisii - Northern white-lipped python, also known as D'Albertis python
    3 subspecies ( not recognized by all scientists ) : L. a. albertisii, L. a. biakensis and L. a. huonensis.
    General info : Leiopython albertisii
    A rare sight in Europe ( 7 collections ), North America ( Toronto Zoo, St. Augustine Alligator Farm and Chattanooga Zoo ) and Asia ( Singapore Zoo, Singapore Night Safari and Taman Safari Bogor ). In the private trade the species can be seen with some regularity.
    Breeding : Althrough the species is kept at only a few collections, the number of collections which bred it is relative high. I found it being bred at Prague Zoo ( at least in 2009 ), Tula ( Russia ), Schönbrunn - Viena, Amneville and Edinburgh ( 1995 - 1996 ).
    In our Gallery several photos of the Northern white-lipped python can be found, like this one, made by @arcticwolf at the Toronto Zoo :
    Remarks: Took also care for this species and bred it succesfully at a private collection in the Netherlands.

- Leiopython fredparkeri - Southern white-lipped python, also known as Karimui Basin white-lipped python or Wau white-lipped python ( for subspecies L. f. montanus )
    2 subspecies : L. f. fredparkeri and L. f. montanus
    General info : Leiopython fredparkeri
    A relative recently discribed species from which I was not able to find any information about any captive keeping or breeding.
    Also in our Gallery the species is still not represented.

To be continued...

TinoPup, JurassicMax and Therabu like this.
  10. vogelcommando

Part V :

Genus Liasis - 3 species
    Liasis mackloti - Freckled python, also known as Macklot's python, Savu python ( for subspecies L. m. savuensis ) and Wetar Island freckled python ( for subspecies L. m. dunni )
    3 subspecies ( L. m. mackloti, L. m. savuensis and L. m. dunni ).
    From animal without remarks of the subspecies I found only two holdings in a zoo ( Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo and The Reptile Zoo - both USA ).
    The nominate subspecies is kept at the moment at 11 European collections and in one USA-zoo ( Columbus Zoo ).
    The Savu python is kept at an equal number of public collections ( 10 European, 1 USA-zoo ( Dallas Zoo and in Asia at the Singapore Zoo ).
    For the Wetar Island freckled python I didn't find any collections which are keeping this subspecies.
    The Macklot's python and Savu python are both also kept by a good number of private keepers.
    Breeding : The Macklot's python has been bred at several collections for example at Olomouc , Zoo Berlin ( 2010 ) and Bristol Zoo ( 2003 ).Also in private collections the subspecies is bred in some numbers. A breeding-report of this subspecies can be found here : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1994e/Litteratura Serpentium 14-2 046-056 Bulian, Ten years of breeding Liasis mackloti mackloti.pdf
    The Savu python has also been bred with some regularity and from public collections the Birmingham Nature Centre has been succesful. A breeding-report about this breeding can be found here : https://www.thebhs.org/publications...sis-mackloti-savuensis-i-brongersma-1956/file.
    For the Wetar Island freckled python I didn't find any information about captive breeding.
    In our Gallery there are several photos of this species to be found :
    Without notion of the subspecies ( made by @ThylacineAlive at The Reptile Zoo ) :
    Nominate L. m. mackloti ( made by @jayjds2 at the Columbus Zoo ) :
    and the Savu python ( made by @Ituri at the Dallas Zoo ) :
    Remarks : In captivity a hybrid has been bred from a Morelia spilota x Liasis mackloti ( abstract see here : https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/zoo.1430030305 )

to be continued...

TinoPup likes this.
  11. vogelcommando

Part VI :

- Liasis fuscus - Australian water python, also known as Brown water python
    General info : Liasis fuscus
    A rare species in European collections and at the moment only 4 zoos are keeping them. For the USA I only found 1 collection ( National Aquarium Baltimore ) and for Asia also 1 collection ( Taman Safari Bogor ). In Australia the species is kept much more commonly and I found at least 7 collections which have the species on display but most prob. there are many more. In the private sector the species should be kept but as far as I can remember I've never seen the species being offered on markets.
    Breeding : In public collections the species has been bred at Zoo Vivarium Darmstadt ( Germany ) and a breeding-result from a privat collection can be found here : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1994e/Litteratura Serpentium 14-4 102-104 James, Unintentional breeding of Liasis fuscus.pdf
    There are several photos of this species in our Gallery like this one made by @devilfish at Taman Safari Bogor :
    Remarks :From this species a "mating-ball" has been discribed. Here 6 males mated with 1 female.
    Longivity record for the species in captivity has been 26.8 years.

- Liasis olivaceus - Olive python
    2 subspecies ( L. o. olivaceus and L. o. barroni - the Pilbara olive python )
    General info : Liasis olivaceus
    A very rarely kept species outside Australia and for Europe ZTL only list one collection keeping it ( Zoopark Na Hradecku ). For the USA I found 2 zoos keeping it ( Dallas Zoo and The Reptile Zoo ) and in Asia Taman Safari Bogor is ( was ?) keeping it. In Australian zoos the species is kept in a good number of zoos and I found it being kept at at least 13 public collections. It is kept in very small numbers in the private sector.
    Breeding : Didn't find any info about zoo-breedings but in private collections the species has been bred, see for example Olive Python - VHS.
    I also just learned that in the Netherlands the species has been bred very recently.
    In our Gallery the species is represented by a good number of photos like this one made by @WhistlingKite24 at Wild Life Sydney :

TinoPup likes this.
  12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm really enjoying this thread, I didn't know these were all so rare in the US! I've seen all of the last couple you've posted. I even asked a volunteer if the water python at Baltimore was an olive python, because someone was blocking the sign and I'd seen the olive at Dallas earlier that year.

vogelcommando and csartie like this.
  13. Batto

An enigmatic python species that has fascinated me since first seeing it in the flesh at Tropicario in Helsinki. The colour changes, the unusual skin and the fact that while it can grow up to close to five metres in length and yet in comparison to a burmese, rock or retic python of the same length weighs only a fraction of those chunky hulks, makes this serpentine garden hose with a chunky head truly mesmerizing. Next to the Boelen's and the BHP, my favourite python species.

14. vogelcommando

Part VII

Genus Malayopython - 2 species
    - Malayopython reticulatus
    3 subspecies ( M. r. reticulatus - the Common reticulated python, M. r. saputrai and M. r. jampeanus - the Jampea reticulated python )
    General info : Malayopython reticulatus
    The Reticulated python belongs to the most commonly kept Python-species in captivity. No subspecific animals are kept for example in more then 120 European zoos and also in North American and Asian zoos a huge number of collections are keeping them.
    The Common reticulated python is however a huge rarity with only 3 zoos currently keeping them in Europe ! Also the Jampea subspecies is very rare and here I was also only able to find 3 European zoos currently keeping it. For the subspecies M. r. saputrai I was even unable to find any information about it being kept in captivity. From the Reticulated python there are several breeding-forms ( albino, tiger and prob. more ) and these can be seen in 11 European zoos and I guess they are also kept at American and Asian zoos. In the private trade the species is also kept in good numbers but here it's also mainly no subspecific animals and the breeding forms. I only have found once a Jampea reticulated python in the trade.
    Breeding : compared with the number kept, the species is only bred at relative few places. One of the reasons may be that a huge number of collections only keep single animals or animals of the same sex.
    For the Common reticulated python I found only that Zooekzotarium Tula has bred it and for the Jampea subspecies also only this Russian collection has bred it.
    No subspecific animals are bred a little more common ( Haus der Natur - Salzburg, Zoo Zürich, Cotswold Wildlife Park, Mini Zoo Hadda - Port Blair, Guindy Snake Park and others ) and also in the private sector it's mainly no subspecific animals which are bred. A breeding-report from the Mini Zoo, Hadda - Port Blair can be found here : https://www.thebhs.org/publications...s-i-in-andaman-and-nicobar-islands-india/file
    In our Gallery the species is very well represented, again mainly no subspecific animals like this one, made by @WhistlingKite24 at the Taronga Zoo:
    Only a few photo's of the Common reticulated pythons can be found, for example this one, made by myself at Reptielenhuis De Aarde :
    From the Jampea reticulated python there is only one photo in our Gallery, made by myself at a Reptile-shop in the Netherlands :
    From the breeding-forms there is a good number of photos in our Gallery like this Albino Reticulated python, made by @Zoological Point at the Dallas Zoo :
    and the Tiger Reticulated python, made by @Nandito at the Lembang Park and Zoo :
    Remarks : From this species a 2-headed young was bred at the Taman Mini Indonesia. The young lived however only for a short time :(. @Nandito placed a photo of it in our Gallery :

- Malayopython timoriensis - Timor python, also known as Lesser Sundas python
    General info : Malayopython timoriensis
    In Europe this species is kept at only 9 zoos and also in North America it seems to be quite rare - I found only 7 collections keeping it. For Asia I only was able to locate the Bali Bird Park as holder of this species. In the private trade the species is avaible but only in small numbers.
    Breeding : Was not able to find any actualy breeding-report but it is bred in the private sector. The only notice of the species bred at a zoo is from ZTL which says by the Reptilienzoo Köningswinter ( Germany ) : "hatched 2014".
    In the Gallery there are a number of photos of the Timor python, like this one from @Semioptera made at the Brookfield Zoo :

to be continued ...

15. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I like this thread :D

What facility is this? There are two facilities in the US with this exact name, and it could also just refer to any reptile zoo generally.

Also at Rio Grande Zoo in Albuquerque.

Species lists reported this snake at Brookfield and Living Desert (by me) in recent years also.

Has been reported at Metro Richmond and Indianapolis in recent years.

Yeah, oddly enough I haven't seen or heard of it at other zoos in the US despite it being decently common in the private trade from what I understand?

Also at Little Rock and Memphis.

16. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have no idea for the rest of the world, but in the USA at least, reticulateds aren't really bred by zoos because almost all of them are rescues. Too many people decide to get them as pets and then can't care for them as they grow, so they "donate" them to zoos. Same with Burmese.

17. Batto

The commonly used term for these "breeding-forms" is morph. There are dozens of different colour, pattern and even size morphs of retic pythons available in the exotic pet trade - which is why most zoos do not bother to breed the species or any of its subspecies. Many retic specimens seen in zoos are former pets, donated or handed over to the zoos by the local authorities, reptile shelters etc.
    The Jampea subspecies is commercially advertised and sold as a so-called "Super Dwarf". However, common retics have been mixed in for the sake of creating colour morphs, so finding "pure" Jampeas isn't always easy.

18. vogelcommando

@Coelacanth18 : thanks that you like this thread ! The Reptile Zoo I mean is the one at Fountain Valley, Fl. and thank you for all the updates from keepers in US which make these lists much more complete !
    @TinoPup : you're right, still to many people obtain Reticulated python to discover that they grow to big to be kept at home :(. BTW this is also the case with many other herps - African spurred tortoises, Crocodilians, Caimans, Iguanas and so on .... ).
    @Batto : have seen several adverts offering the "Super Dwarf" but didn't know that this was the Jampea subspecies, thanks for clearing me up about this !

TinoPup and Coelacanth18 like this.
  19. Batto

They are supposed to be of the Jampea subspecies, but as mentioned above, common retics are often crossed in to create morphs...:(

20. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

No problem, I can provide more as your thread continues :) for clarification, though, that "The Reptile Zoo" is located in Fountain Valley, California (Florida doesn't have many valleys ;))

TinoPup and vogelcommando like this.