Join our zoo community

Pythons and Boas in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 6 Nov 2021.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hey, I lived in a place called Pleasant Valley once. In Delaware.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's an area of Wisconsin containing several cities called the Fox Valley. It's really not much of a valley.

3. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

There’s “Apple Valley” (where the Minnesota Zoo is located) and “Golden Valley” here in Minnesota, neither of which aren’t much like a “valley” per say.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Part VIII

Genus Morelia - 6 species
    - Morelia azurea - Northern green tree python also known as Biak green tree python
    3 subspecies : M. a. azurea, M.a. pulcher and M.a utaraensis
    General info : Morelia azurea
    On ZTL this species is not mentioned at all as being kept at European public collections but evenso I'm sure it's kept at at least some zoos. Reason for this is that at least a number of animals is mis-identified as being the closely-releated Southern green tree python ( Morelia viridis ). The species was already discribed 1874 but later lumped with M. viridis and under this name kept at a number of zoos. In 2020 a paper was published which split the species clearly and if zoos would have a closer look at their Green tree pythons I'm sure a number of Morelia azurea will pop-up !
    In the private sector this species is kept and bred for sure, mostly under the name Biak green tree python. Don't know about the situation in North American or Asian collections but I guess here it will be the same. In Australian zoos most zoos will have the real Morelia viridis because it's part of their natural distribution but I've heared here also Biak green tree python are avaible - at least in the private trade.
    Breeding : didn't find any specific breeding-reports for this species but I'm sure that at least a number of breeding-reports of Morelia viridis are actualy dealing with this species.
    In our Gallery there are a few photos of real Northern green tree pythons ( hence under the name Morelia viridis "Biak") like this one, made by myself at a Reptile-shop in the Netherlands :
    Remarks : An easy way to tell the 2 species apart is to have a look at the juveniles. In Morelia viridis the young are always yellow in coloration, in Morelia azurea the young can be either yellow or red in coloration.
    Photos of juvenile Morelia azurea ( again labeled as being Morelia viridis "Biak" ) are also to be found in the Gallery ( both made by myself on a Dutch Reptile-fair ) :
    Took care and bred this species at a private collection in the Netherlands in the mid-2000s.

- Morelia bredli - Centralian python, also known as Bredl's python
    General info : Morelia bredli
    Kept at 11 European zoos and for America I found the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and the St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park keeping it. In Australia - the home-country of the species - its kept at least at Wildlife Sydney, Wildlife HQ Zoo and Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
    In the ( European ) herping-scene the species can be found with some regularity and I guess this is also true for America, Asia and Australia.
    Breeding : I didn't find any breeding-reports from zoos and also from private collections only general info about breeding can be found on the internet but I know the species is bred in quite good numbers ( at least by private reptile-keepers ).
    In our Gallery there is a number of photos from this species like this one made by @WhistlingKite24 at the Wildlife HQ Zoo :

- Morelia carinata - Rough-scaled python
    General info : Morelia carinata
    Until 1994 only 2 specimens where known to science but in that year the Australian Reptile Park collected 5 specimens from the wild and started a breeding-program with it. Now the species can be found in a number of zoos and in Europe ZTL names 7 zoos keeping the species at the moment. Also in the USA the species is now kept ( at least at Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo, Reptile Gardens and the Los Angeles Zoo ). In Australia at least Perth Zoo, Snakes Downunder Reptile Park and Zoo, Adelaide Zoo and Sydney Zoo are keeping it.
    In the private sector the species seems to be also available but only in very small numbers.
    Breeding : As already said the species was first bred at the Australian Reptile Park and now also the animals in European zoos have started to breed :
    Schönbrunn - Viena - 2018 ( European first ( zoo? ) breeding )
    Cologne - 2020
    Wuppertal - 2021
    An article about the breeding at the Australian Reptile Park can be found here
    https://watermark.silverchair.com/a...jMwR3H4c1A8sDudbiI6JBOnj0wZe7s-do8Cu7Y6yxIwrg
    In our Gallery the species is represented by a number of photos like this one by @Maguari :

to be continued...

Last edited: 11 Dec 2021
    TinoPup likes this.
  5. vogelcommando

Part IX

- Morelia imbricata - South-west carpet python, also known as Diamond python
    General info : Morelia imbricata
    A very rare species in captivity. In Europe the species is not kept at all in zoos and even in Australia - the homeland of this species - only very few are kept at zoos. I only found Perth Zoo and Wildlife HQ Zoo keeping ( or having kept ) it. In the private hobby the species is kept at least in Europe but again, only in very small numbers.
    Breeding : Didn't found any notes about zoo-breeding of the species but a breeding-result from a private breeder can be found here : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1999e/Litteratura Serpentium 19-2 053-055 Rooyendijk, Breeding report Morelia spilota imbricata.pdf
    In our Gallery there are only very few photos of this taxon, but here is a nice one, made by @Hix at Perth Zoo :
    Remarks : this species is also known under the name Diamond python but this can be very confusing because the nominate subspecies of the Carpet python ( Morelia spilota spilota ) is also known under this name.

- Morelia spilota - Carpet python
    6 subspecies : M. s. spilota - Diamond python
    - M. s. cheynei - Jungle carpet python
    - M. s. harrisoni - Papuan carpet python
    - M. s. mcdowelli - Coastal carpet python or McDowell's carpet python
    - M. s. metcalfei - Inland carpet python, Riverine carpet python or Murray Darling carpet python
    - M. s. variegata - North-western carpet python, Torresian carpet python or Darwin carpet python.
    General info : Morelia spilota
    Several of the subspecies are very common in European zoos ( and I guess also in other regions ).
    Carpet pythons without mention of the subspecies are on ZTL kept at 50 collections, among them surtainly animals from pure subspecies as well as subspecific hybrids. Nominate spilota is kept at just 8 European collections, M. s. mcdowelli at 7, M. s. metcalfei at 3, M. s. cheynei at 41, M. s. harrisoni at 3 and M. s. variegata at 37 collections. In North America and Asia I guess the numbers will be about the same as in Europe but in Australia the native subspecies will be much more common.
    In the private trade all these subspecies can be found in some numbers with M.s. cheynei and M. s. variegata the most commonly kept subspecies. There is also already a number of mutations being bred in good numbers.
    From several subspecies I found information about zoo-breedings:
    None subspecific breedings : Torun ( Poland 2016), Ein Kharod Meukhad ( Israël )
    M. s. mcdowelli : Kyjiw Zoo Park ( Ukraine )
    M. s. cheynei : Hagenbeck Hamburg ( 2020 )
    M. s. variegata : Vivarium Darmstadt ( 2012 ), Zoo Frankfurt and ZooPark Moscow
    Was however unable to find breeding-reports from zoos but from private keepers I've found a good number of it:
    M. s. mcdowelli : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1997e/Litteratura Serpentium 17-2 032-034 Luciën, Breeding report Morelia spilota mcdowelli.pdf
    M. s. harrisoni : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/2009/Litteratura Serpentium 29-2 052-062 Mense, Morelia.pdf
    M. s. variegata : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1994e/Litteratura Serpentium 14-1 025-032 Kortlang, Husbandry and reproduction of Morelia spilota variegata.pdf
    In our Gallery 5 of the 6 subspecies are sofar represented with only M.s. harrisoni still missing :
    M. s. spilota ( photo made by myself at Hagenbeck Hamburg ) :

M. s. cheynei ( photo by @Maguari at Lisboa Zoo ) :

M. s. mcdowelli ( photo by @WhistlingKite24 made at David Fleay Wildlife Park ) :

M. s. metcalfei ( photo made by @Mr.Weasel at Pondarosa Zoo ) :

M. s. variegata ( photo made by @KevinB at Zoo Antwerpen ) :

to be continued...

Last edited: 18 Dec 2021
    JurassicMax, TinoPup and KevinB like this.
  6. vogelcommando

Part X

- Morelia viridis - Southern green python, also known as Green tree python
    General info : Morelia viridis
    On Zootierliste we find a list of more then 130 European collections which claim to keep this species but as already discused by the Northern green python ( Morelia azurea ) it's not surtain at all with which species we have to deal. Also for America this will be the case but in Australia most animals will be "real" Green tree pythons ( = Southern green pythons ) because Australia is part of their natural distribution. I have however heared that also the Northern ( Morelia azurea ) should be kept and bred - at least among private Australian keepers.
    Would be realy intresting if zoos should try to find out which species they realy keep !
    Green pythons ( both northern and southern ) have been bred and at least in the private hobby the 2 species are in most cases kept seperated but I wasn't able to find a breeding-report about a surtain breeding of the Southern green python.
    The same problem we can find in our Gallery and almost all photos ( loads of them to be found ) are of 'just' Green pythons without mention if they are Northern or Southern. I've just uploaded the first photo of a "real" Southern green python ( from Aru ) in the Gallery :
    Remarks :
    Distribution-map of the Northern and Southern green python :
    https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1055790319302842-ga1_lrg.jpg

to be continued...

TinoPup and JurassicMax like this.
  7. vogelcommando

Part XI

Genus Nyctophilopython
    - Nyctophilopython oenpelliensis - Oenpelli rock python
    General info : Nyctophilopython oenpelliensis
    A very rare species which has never been kept at any European zoo and also for North America and Asia I didn't find any references of the species being kept. Also in Australia the species is kept at only a very few collections and I only found 2 public collections keeping the species : Australian Reptile Park ( a video about the arrival of their 3 animals can be found here : )

and Crocosaurus Cove. In the privat sector there is at least one person which started a breeding program with the species ( see Saving the Oenpelli python - Australian Geographic ) but I don't know how succesfull this program has been.
    In our Gallery there is sofar only 1 single photo of the species, made by@LaughingDove at Crocosaurus Cove :

to be continued...

8. vogelcommando

Part XII

Genus Python - 10 species
    - Python anchietae - Angola python, also known as Anchieta's dwarf python and Escarpment python
    General info : Python anchietae
    A rare and rarely kept species in public collections and ZTL list only 7 collections keeping the species at the moment. For North America I found only 2 collections currently keeping the species ( Disney's Animal Kingdom and Central Park Zoo ) but in the 1980s it was kept at a few more places ( Knoxville Zoo, Houston Zoo, Forth Worth Zoo and Dallas Zoo ).
    In Africa the Transvaal Snake park made an unsuccesfull attemp to set-up a breeding program and at the Swakopmund Snake Park ( Namibia ) the species is/was kept also. In the private hobby the species is kept ( and bred ) in some numbers.
    Couldn't find any breeding results from 'Western zoos' but the already mentioned Swakopmund Snake Park bred the species succesfull in 2002. A breeding-report from a semi-private holding can be found here : http://the-eis.com/elibrary/sites/d...ropagation of Python anchietae in Namibia.pdf
    In our Gallery I only found 2 photos of this species of which this, made by @RatioTile at the Central Park Zoo is one :
    Remarks : Took care for several young ones of this species in a privat collection in the Netherlands.

- Python bivittatus - Burmese python, also known as Burmese rock python
    2 subspecies : Python bivittatus bivittatus and Python bivittatus progschai
    General info : Python bivittatus
    One of the most commonly kept pythons in captivity and ZTL lists no fewer then more as130 European collections keeping it and I guess the situation in North America and Asia will be the same. Next to the natural form also a number of mutations is kept at a good number of zoos.
    Also in the private trade it's one of the most common species.
    Because the species is kept by many private persons, zoos don't put much effort in breeding this species because a lot of the specimens which grow to large for a "normal household" will end-up at a zoo ( or are set free which can cause large problems ).
    Breeding of this species have been numberous and a breeding-report from a private collection can be found here : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargan...Burmese python, Python molurus bivittatus.pdf
    A huge number of photos of the species ( both the natural form and several mutations ) can be found in our Gallery, like this one from @ZooBinh made at the Cincinnati Zoo :
    Remarks : A feral population at the Everglades causes a lot of problems.
    From this species it's know that it can reproduce pathenogenetic.

To be continued...

TinoPup likes this.
  9. vogelcommando

Part XIII

- Python breitensteini - Borneo blood python, also known as Borneo short-tailed python and Breitenstein's python
    General info : Python breitensteini
    A rarely kept species in public collections. Zootierliste lists only 10 zoos keeping the species currently in Europe. Also in other regions the species is rare and for the USA I only found Dallas Zoo keeping it and for Indonesia I found Lembang Park and Zoo. It is however possible that a larger number is kept because it belongs to a group of closely related species, all known as Blood pythons or Short-tailed pythons.
    In the private hobby this species is a common sight.
    Zoo-breedings are rare and I only found a note from Prague Zoo which bred 1999 13 young. In private collections the species is bred in good numbers.
    In our Gallery there are only very few photos of this species, at least very few of aimals realy labeled as being this species. It may be that other photo's, labeled just as 'Blood python' or 'Short-tailed python' also may be of this species. A photo of this species, made by @Ituri at the Dallas Zoo :

- Python brongersmai - Red blood python, also known as Malaysian blood python and Sumatran blood python
    General info : Python brongersmai
    Zootierliste names 24 public collections which are keeping this species and for North America I also found a number of zoos keeping it ( Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo, Maryland Zoo, St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoo, Indianapolis Zoo and Monroe Reptile Zoo ) and in Australia the species is kept at least at the Melbourne Zoo.
    Also in the private trade the species can be found regulary.
    Didn't found any report about zoo-breeding of the species but on the WWW there are a good number of care-sheets and reports about this and the related Blood pyton-species.
    In our Gallery the species is represented with a small number of photos but here the same apply as for the Borneo blood python. A photo of a real Red blood python, made by myself at the Wildpark Antalya :

- Python curtus - Sumatra python, also known as Sumatra short-tailed python
    General info : Python curtus
    Kept at 15 European collections but here also well possible that in fact one of the other Blood / Short-tailed python are ment. Also in North America and Asia the species is kept in some numbers. In private collections the species is also well represented.
    Didn't found any zoo-breeding reports but from a private breeder here a breeding-report ( in Dutch ) : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1987/Litteratura Serpentium 07-3 nld 113-122 Opferman, Houden en voortplanting van Python curtus.pdf
    For the photos at our Gallery it's the same as for the other Blood / Short-tailed pythons, a lot of photos but many without the exact species-name. A photo of a real Sumatra python, made by myself at a Dutch reptile-fair :
    - Python kyaiktiyo - Mon python, also known as Myanmar ( blood ) python and Burma ( blood ) python
    General info : Python kyaiktiyo
    A recently discribed species from which almost nothing is known sofar. Didn't find any information about captive kept animals and also in our Gallery there are no photos of the species.
    The article about the discovery and the discription of the species can be found here : https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_Burma_Short-tailed_python_Reptilia_Squamata

Remarks about the Blood / Short-tailed pythons ( = Borneo, Red and Sumatra pythons ) in general :
    1934 the New York Zoological Park recieved a freshly imported Blood python ( species unknown to me ) which laid 16 eggs while on exhibit. Like many other pythons she started to brood the eggs and in Copeia, volume 1935 this event seems to be discribed ( couldn't find this article however on-line :( ). Other early keepings of this species were at the San Diego Zoo in 1936 and St. Louis in the 1950s.
    A report ( in Dutch ) about the breeding of several species ( in the article dealed with as being subspecies ) can be found here : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1997/Litteratura Serpentium 17-6 nld 120-128 Even, Python curtus, ondersoorten, verzorging en kweek.pdf

to be continued...

KevinB and TinoPup like this.
  10. vogelcommando

Found this intresting video about fishing with a python on YouTube :

11. vogelcommando

Part XIV

- Python molurus - Indian rock python
    General info : Python molurus
    Much rarer kept as the Burmese (rock) python ( P. bivittatus ) with which it has long been lumped into one species, the species is listed on Zootierliste as being kept at 35 collections in Europe. Also in North America and Asia ( esp. in India and Sri Lanka ) the species is kept in some numbers at several zoos. Also in the private trade the Indian rock python is represented but here also in much lower numbers as its Burmese relative.
    The species has been bred at a number of zoos and already in 1861 the Jardin des Plantes - Paris had the European first-breeding ! More recently Prague Zoo, Zoo de la Palmyre ( 2021 ) and Cologne Zoo bred it and also in Indian zoos the species has been bred at a number of zoos. In the private hobby the species is also bred in low numbers. A breeding-report about the breeding of the Indian rock python at the Sayaji Baug Zoo - India can be found here : https://www.researchgate.net/public...ive_Indian_Rock_Python_Python_molurus_molurus
    In our Gallery only very few photos have been uploaded sofar, like this one, made by @ThylacineAlive at the San Diego Zoo :
    Remarks : The animals from Sri Lanka have long been seperated from the Indian animals and considered being an own subspecies - P. m. pimbura and at several zoos this former subspecies is still named in this way. The species is now-a-days however seen as being monotypic.

TinoPup and ThylacineAlive like this.
  12. vogelcommando

Found another note about a very early ( 1916 ) breeding of the Indian rock python at an Indian museum :
    tijger python kweek india 1916 1.png tijger python kweek india 1916 2.png

TinoPup likes this.
  13. vogelcommando

14. vogelcommando

Part XV

After a longer break, we will go further with the next species :

- Python natalensis - Southern African python, aka Lesser African Python and Natal rock python
    General info : Python natalensis
    A very rare species in Western collections and in Europe none is kept at the moment in any public collection. Also in the past hardly any were kept in Europe and ZTL names only 2 zoos which kept it in the part ( Amsterdam ( 1874 ) and Durrell ( 1962 till 1972 ). In North America I know the Detroit Zoo keeps/kept it and in Asia I only found a photo of an animal kept at iZoo ( Japan ).
    In Africa I guess more zoos are keeping the species and I know for sure it is/was kept at the Meserani Snake Park ( Tanzania ) and at the Port Elizabeth Snake Park ( South Africa ). Also in the private trade the species must be very rare, sofar I've never seen one offered on the private market.
    Was able to find only one breeding-result at a public collection, the Port Elizabeth Snake Park. An article about this breeding can be found here : https://www.thebhs.org/publications...ssue-number-42-winter-1992/2495-hb042-06/file
    In our Gallery I was able to find 2 photos of the species and this is the one @RatioTile made at iZoo :

- Python regius - Ball python, aka Royal python
    General info : Python regius
    From a very rare species to the most commonly kept python species, the Ball python. ZTL alone lists already 390 zoos keeping the species and also in the private trade it is the most commonly kept and bred python. I'm quite sure this is also true for America and Asia but I don't have information about the situation in Australia.
    Next to the large numer bred in private collections ( in many different ( in many cases real ugly ) mutations ), also large numbers of farm-bred animals still enter the trade.
    Numberous breeding-results have been published, just like this one :
    https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1993e/Litteratura Serpentium 13-2 062-065 Klein Kiskamp, Seven years experience with Python regius.pdf
    Also in our Gallery the species is very well represented and as an example this one, made by myself of an education-talk at Wildlands Emmen :

- Python sabea - African rock python
    General info : Python sebae
    Kept in a good number of European zoos ( ZTL mention 28 collections currently keeping the species ) and also in North America, Asia and ( in the past ? ) even in Australia the species can be found in a good number of zoos.
    Also in the private trade the species is represented and bred but in smaller numbers then many other python-species.
    The species is being bred in a number of public collections ( for example Bioparco Roma and Beauvoir Aligator Bay ( France ) and also Melbourne Zoo bred the species already at the end of the 1970s.
    Several breeding-results have been published like this one from an Italian breeder : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1999e/Litteratura Serpentium 19-1 012-014 Cimatti, The captive reproduction of Python sebae.pdf
    A good number of photos of the African rock python can be found in our Gallery like this one, made by @Ding Lingwei at the San Antonio Zoo :

To be continued....

Mo Hassan, TinoPup and birdsandbats like this.
  15. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Growing in numbers in the Australian pet trade. Rough-scaled Pythons are even starting to pop up at local pet stores.
    Ball Pythons remain very rare among Australian zoos with only three known holders - Melbourne Zoo, Wild Cat Conservation Centre and Australian Reptile Park. There have been recent imports from Singapore Zoo. This species is of course not available in the Australian pet trade legally as non-native reptiles are banned.
    African Rock Pythons are not held among Australian zoos anymore. As a rule of thumb, use the exotic reptiles of Australia thread as an up-to-date guide as to what non-native species are in Australian zoos currently: Exotic Amphibians and Reptiles in Australian Zoos

vogelcommando likes this.
  16. vogelcommando

Part XVI

- Simalia amethistina - Amethystine python
    General info : Simalia amethistina
    A relative rare species in captivity and in Europe kept at the moment at 19 collections. The species is also kept in several North American, Asian and Australian zoos. In private hands the species seems to be also been kept ( and bred ) in smaller numbers.
    Zoo-breedings are rare and I know only of breedings at Bristol Zoo ( year unknown to me ), Frankfurt ( 2012 and 2014 ), Gosford ( 1988 ), Melbourne ( 1988 ) and Oklahoma ( 1988 ). Also in private collections breeding-results are known like this one : https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/1993e/Litteratura Serpentium 13-6 184-195 Barnett, Morelia amethistina, captive keeping, reproduction and growth.pdf.
    In our Gallery the species is represented by a good number of photos like this one, made by @jayjds2 at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium :

- Simalia boeleni - Boelen's python ( also known as Black python )
    General info : Simalia boeleni
    By many snake-lovers seen as( one of ) the most beautiful pythons and for sure also a very rarely kept one ! In Europe ZTL only mention 4 collections which are keeping the species at the moment and also in the USA the species can be seen only in a small number of zoos ( St. Louis, Milwakee, Los Angeles, San Diego Zoo, Zoo Atlanta and maybe some others ). In the private trade the species is also very rare ( and expensive ! ).
    It has been bred in private hands but I wasn't able to find any info about zoo-breedings.
    In the Gallery there are a good number of photos of this species like this one made by @geomorph at Zoo Atlanta :
    Remarks : This is one of the few snake-species with an own thread on ZooChat :
    Any Boelen's pythons in zoos

- Simalia clastolepis - Southern Moluccan python ( aka Seram python and Yellow python )
    General info : Simalia clastolepis
    A relative newly discribed species ( in 2000 ) and almost unknown in captivity. At the moment only one European zoo keeps the species ( Zoopark Na Hradecku - Czech Rep. ). From North America, Asia and Australia I don't have any information about zoos keeping this species. In the private hobby now and then some animals pop-up but sofar no reliable sources about captive breeding of this species.
    In the Gallery there are still no photos of this species.

To be continued ....

17. vogelcommando

Part XVII

Simalia kinghorni - Australian scrub python
    General info : Simalia kinghorni
    A species which is kept very rarely in ( European ) collections and ZTL only list 1 collection currently keeping this species ( Reptilienzoo Köningswinter ). Also for North America and Asia I was unable to find any information about zoos keeping it but in Australia a number of zoos have the Australian scrub python on display.
    I was unable to find any information about captive breeding of this species and also in the private trade the species must be very rare because also here I did not find any information.
    In our Gallery there are a few photos of this species ( all made in Australian collections ) like this one, made by @WhistlingKite24 ( which made all photos of this species sofar in our Gallery ) at Australia Zoo :

Simalia nauta - Tanimbar python
    - General info : Simalia nauta
    Again a very rarely kept species and ZooTierListe mention just 2 collections keeping the species at the moment. In the private sector the species is however kept in small numbers and has already bred several times. For North America, Asia and Australia I don't have any information about the captive status of the species.
    Breeding-results in public collections are sofar unknown to me but about a private-reached result you can find some information in this article :
    MORELIASNAKE.COM - Morelia nauta and Morelia amethistina - captive breed
    In our Gallery sofar no photos of this species have been uploaded.

Simalia tracyae - Halmahera python
    General info : Simalia tracyae
    Also a very rare species and ZTL again only list one collection for the European area : Zooekzotarium Tula. It's also kept in Asia ( at least Avilon Zoo keeps / kept it ) and in North America at least the Oklahoma Zoo keeps and breeds it.
    I've seen already several times specimens at European reptile-fairs so it's also represented in the private trade.
    The species was first bred at a zoo at Oklahoma ( see Oklahoma City Zoo Welcomes First Halmahera Pythons Bred in Human Care )
    In the Gallery the species is represented by just a few photos of which this one, made by @devilfish, was made at Avilon Zoo :

To be continued....

Last edited: 12 Mar 2023
    ifesbob, Lafone, TinoPup and 2 others like this.
  18. vogelcommando

Part XVIII

Superfamily : Pythonoidea
    Family : Xenopeltidae
    Genus : Xenopeltis - 3 species
    Xenopeltis hainanensis - Hainan sunbeam snake
    - General info : Xenopeltis hainanensis
    - Additional info : : https://www.researchgate.net/public...tus_of_Xenopeltis_hainanensis_jidamingae_Zhao
    From this species I was not able to find any information about captive keeping. Althrough it's English name suggest it's found ( only ) on Hainan, it's also found in other parts of China and in Vietnam.
    There are no photos of this species in our Gallery.

Xenopeltis intermedius - Kon Plông sunbeam snake
    - General info : Xenopeltis intermedius
    Another species for which I didn't found any captive experience. It's a very recent ( 2022 ) discribed species ( abstract of the discription see : Integrative Taxonomy Reveals a New Cryptic Species of Xenopeltis Gray, 1831 (Ophidia: Macrostomata: Pythonoidea: Xenopeltidae) from Central Highlands, Vietnam | Orlov | Russian Journal of Herpetology ).
    Also from this species, no photos in the Gallery.

Xenopeltis unicolor - Common sunbeam snake
    - General info : Xenopeltis unicolor
    A rare species in European collection and currently only kept at one collection in Russia ( Zoopark Yaroslavl ( ZTL ) and in Asian zoos the species also can be found at a few places. In the private trade the species is offered now and then but also here it's quite rare.
    The species has been bred at least at Chester Zoo and also private keepers have been succesful in breeding the species. A breeding report about the breeding at Chester Zoo can be found here : https://www.thebhs.org/publications...ssue-number-61-autumn-1997/2630-hb061-01/file
    In our Gallery there are several photos of this species like this one, made by @Swampy in the wild in Thailand :

To be continued ...

TinoPup likes this.
  19. vogelcommando

With the Sunbeam snakes I've finished the species-list of the Superfamily Pythonoidea. From the 41 known species there are only 7 species still not represented in our Gallery.
    Species still not represented in the Gallery :
    - Papuan spotted python - Antaresia papuensis
    - Southern white-lipped python - Leiopython fredparkeri
    - Mon python - Python kyaiktiyo
    - Southern Moluccan python - Simalia clastolepis *
    - Tanimbar python - Simalia nauta *
    - Hainan sunbeam snake - Xenopeltis hainanensis
    - Kon Plông sunbeam snake - Xenopeltis intermedius
    Hopefully one or several of those 7 can be added to the Gallery in the ( near ) future and the ones with an * seem to the the best candidates because both species are kept at the moment at 2 European zoos so when a ZooChatter is visiting one of those collections, please take the time to make some photo's of them and upload them in the Gallery !
    In the next part I will start with the next Superfamily, the Booidae - the True boa's.

TinoPup likes this.
  20. vogelcommando

Part XIX

Superfamily : Booidae
    Family : Boidae
    Subfamily : Boinae
    Genus : Boa - 5 species
    Boa constrictor - Red-tailed boa - 4 subspecies :
    - Boa constrictor constrictor - Red-tailed boa
    - Boa constrictor longicauda - Long-tailed boa
    - Boa constrictor occidentalis - Argentine boa
    - Boa constrictor ortonii - Orton's boa
    - General info : Boa constrictor
    Probably the best-known snake-species worldwide and also in captivity one of the most commonly kept species. None-subspecific Red-tails are kept in Europe in 194 EU-zoos and ZTL list another 108 public collections in none-EU countries. In North America and Asia I guess also a large number of zoos are keeping Red-tailed boas. Also in the private trade huge numbers of Red-tails are kept and bred and numberous morphs are already known.
    Nominate B. c. constrictors are also commonly kept but ZTL lists 'only' 27 public collections keeping pure animals. In North America and Asia I guess the situation is the same althrough a large number of the none-subspecific animals are most probably also this subspecies.
    Breeding-results both in public and private collections are numberous like this one from a private Dutch breeder :
    https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargangen/2000e/Litteratura Serpentium 20-4 112-115 vdBerg, Breeding report Boa constrictor.pdf
    Subspecies B.c. longicauda - the Long-tailed boa - is much more rarer and ZTL gives only 1 current holding for Europe : Zoopark Na Hradecku - Czech Republic. In the private trade I've never seen ( knowingly ) this subspecies.
    Subspecies B. c. occidentalis, the Argentine boa, is also very rare at zoos and ZTL list only 3 zoos. In the USA the subspecies is kept at least at one public collection ( Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo. In the private trade the subspecies is kept and bred in small numbers and I myself had the pleasure to keep and breed this subspecies years ago at a private collection.
    Subspecies B. c. ortonii is not kept currently in any European zoo and for North America I only found that the Dallas World Aquarium and the Beardsley Zoo are keeping it. In the private hobby the subspecies is offered now and then but only in small numbers.
    In our Gallery there are a load of photo's of none-subspecific animals and also a number of photo's of the nominate subspecies like this one, made by @RatioTile :
    B. c. longicauda is missing but from B. c. occidentalis there are 2 photo's, one of them made by @Javan Rhino :
    From B. c. ortonii I was able to find only one photo, made by @ThylacineAlive at the Beardsley Zoo :

To be continued ...

TinoPup and Kalaw like this.