Join our zoo community

PZCU

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by JigerofLemuria, 22 Mar 2020.

1. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member

Here's a crazy alternate history project regarding the Barcelona Zoo; an alternative where long-closed parks reopen and the state of this matter is generally much better off than in our present timeline.

In 1983, the privately run Rioleón Safari gave the Barcelona Zoo Ulysses the killer whale, and from that, negociations were brought forth to have both these institutions under the same organism, inspired by the Zoological Society of London and the Wildlife Conservation Society of New York. The agreement was set, with one of the prerogatives being that each center would exclusively house certain species. Under this one organism, various different parks joined in, each with their own unique repertoire of species, each specialized in a specific area:
    • Zoo de Barcelona (joined 1983): Primates, reptiles, rainforest-dwelling mammals

• Rioleón Safari (joined 1983): Large, plains-dwelling mammals

• Parc de les Aus (joined 1985): Birds (except raptors and seabirds)

• Aquarium Barcelona (built 1995): Fish

• Parc animal de Sobrestany (joined circa 1995): European animals

• Butterfly Park Empuriabrava (joined circa 200): Insects

• Cim d'Aguiles (joined circa 2000): Raptors

• Marineland Catalunya (joined circa 2000): Marine mammals and seabirds

• Cosmocaixa (built 2004): Amazon rainforest
    While controversies still abound, the general state of these parks is that of mutual success and sustainability. Combined memberships can be bought, and bus services to take people from the Barcelona Zoo to the other centers would run in the weekends, back and forth at least twice a day.

Maps of the four most changed parks will be uploaded to further demonstrate how this paralel reality would be.

amur leopard and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  2. JigerofLemuria

3. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member

I really like this one! I wish a ZSL-like organization existed in the peninsula. And it would make a lot of sense in a way.

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  4. JigerofLemuria

We fortunately have the Parques Reunidos in Madrid and the two Bioparcs are under the same directive. Something like that should have really taken off and taken over more institutions; if Parques Reunidos also took charge of the BCN zoo, among others, we could have a real powerhouse on our hands.

5. SivatheriumGuy

Well yes, but I'm not the biggest fan of Parques reunidos...

Kifaru Bwana and JigerofLemuria like this.
  6. JigerofLemuria

May I ask why? I'm curious o_O

7. SivatheriumGuy

It's just the corporate/theme park feeling that Faunia has. I haven't visited Madrid zoo and both Selows, but I think that Parques Reunidos focuses on big ABC animals and guest attractions than proper conservation and the animals. Just my opinion tho.

8. JigerofLemuria

I see what you mean. Perhaps the fact that they own two amusement parks gave them this high focus on entertainment, and that could prove somewhat detrimental. Still, I like their parks.
    Maybe Selwo or Bioparc could do a better job if not. In fact, for a time they played with the idea of a "Bioparque de Barcelona".

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. SivatheriumGuy

I remember that masterplan... I wish it was real. But I'm with you in this one, Bioparc and Selwo direction would be a lot better.