Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Question

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Secret Squirrel, 12 Mar 2011.

1. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Well-Known Member

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone has any information whether Singapore Zoo still have Malay (aka Buffy) Fish Owls, Bubo ketupu?

If so I am interested in whether they breed, and if possible any information on their aviary/enclosure. If they breed or have bred, I am interested in nesting resources provided; nestbox shape/size/dimensions etc.

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

2. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

According to ISIS:

Singapore only has 0.2. However, Jurong Bird Park supposedly has 2.6.5 of them. I don't know how accurate this is and if they update ISIS though.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Singapore Zoo Question

If you're looking for captive breeding requirements for fish owls, have a look at the Avicultural Magazine index online; Paignton bred one of the fish owl species a few years ago [actually, it could be longer ago than that] and published a useful account in the Magazine. I think that when London Zoo bred them many years ago, they nested on the floor.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Jurong's ISIS data is never very accurate apparently (whereas the Singapore Zoo's data usually is, oddly enough) so I can't say how many they have. However it would certainly be worth Secret Squirrel emailing Jurong and asking for details of breeding. The only person on here with any up-to-the-minute Singapore knowledge would be Zooish.

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Blakiston's Fish owls are apparently bred for conservation programme in Japan.

6. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jurong does have Malay Fish Owls and have bred them with some success. Unfortunately the breeding takes place off-show so I don't have details of aviary size/substrate. As Chlidonias mentioned, you might want to email Jurong ([email protected])

Jurong has been making an effort of late to update ISIS records, and the ones for Birds of Prey at least are accurate to my knowledge. Record keeping hasn't been Jurong's strong point. They've recently updated their collection as 4600 birds, 380 species, down sharply from the 8000 birds and 600 species they've been stating for the past decade.

7. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Well-Known Member

That's great, thanks for the input guys! I'll email Jurong and see what they say. :)

I know of the Blakiston's Fish Owl breeding and conservation programmes in Japan, but fear for how Hokkaido has fared recent events. :(

Thanks again everyone!