Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Quick Question: Red Panda

Discussion in 'Canada' started by xnighttimesky, 29 Mar 2011.

1. xnighttimesky

xnighttimesky New Member

Hello! :) I tend to rant, so I'll bold the important information in case I write too much. :p

All the animal fact sheets are taken off the Toronto Zoo's website "for security reasons and maintenance." I've tried searching the web for a while, and even this forum for an answer, but I haven't found a response that is black and white, so I thought I'd just ask straight out:

The Red Pandas do not have a board with their names on it, and I've waited around the exhibit a few times hoping a keeper will show up, but I've been unlucky. I just wanted to know the names of the pandas that currently live there. I believe there are three, but I don't know their gender. Also, is there a way to tell them apart? Like, noticed at least one looked like the tip of its tail was missing, making it easily identifiable if I knew its name.

I have a photo of one of the cuties that I want to upload to my deviantArt account, but I wanted to title it with the name of the panda, or at least give recognition in the description.

So please, if you know anything piece of information about them at all, it would be a great help! Thank you so much. :D

Edit::
    I forgot to mention, I have other photographs of other animals from the zoo in my gallery! :) If you'd like to see them (and perhaps tell me the names of these guys if you know them) here they are:
    Sumatran Tiger- Eye Of The Tiger by ~xnighttimesky on deviantART
    Short-Beaked Echidna- Scratch by ~xnighttimesky on deviantART
    Little Pied Cormorant- Pied by ~xnighttimesky on deviantART
    Snow Leopard- Pounce by ~xnighttimesky on deviantART

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

3. xnighttimesky

xnighttimesky New Member

4. bluebadger

bluebadger Member

I believe the names should still be correct. I know that there are two females and one male. I was lucky enough to see two of them very active. One on each side of the exhibit separated by their main indoor enclosure. I believe that it was the two females walking around being adorable on or near the ground with the male sleeping up in the tree. There was a point where the two on the ground got aggressive and showed some teeth and I was glad that they were separated as they didn't seem to get along. It might even have been the male that was separated as I don't really know much about their mating and behaviors. I wish I had better pictures that I could post but they kept turning their backs every time they got close and were actually moving pretty quickly instead of being lazy or hiding in a tree.

5. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Those names are still accurate. 1.2 Red Pandas and they have been introduced to breed a few times, I believe.