Join our zoo community

"Quiz Book" from the 70s

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by dillotest0, 22 Jan 2022.

1. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

upload_2022-1-22_15-3-2.png
    Here we have a delightful, if somewhat outdated, quiz book from 1977 - The Zoo Quiz Book, as published by Armada.
    The book itself is what it claims to be - there are 100 brain-teasers and quizzes in the book, all of which are concerned with zoo animals.
    Of course, being from 1977, quite a bit of the content of the book is perhaps outdated by today's standards, but remains a valuable token of the past somewhat. Let's see what we will find!
    upload_2022-1-22_15-6-50.png
    One of the pages that most greatly shows the age of the book appears to be this one - where one is to match up zoos of Britain with what animals they are [or, perhaps were] known for. Of course, one can see how nicely anachronistic it is - Norfolk and Windsor are now non-existent, and there are no White Tigers in Bristol anymore [come to think of it, when Bristol moves to the Wild Place, there will be one anachronism more..]etc etc, but what I find interesting is that a modern reader reading "Giant Pandas" would likely match that up with Edinburgh of course, as that *is* currently the only zoo in the UK with pandas, [and will be until 2023] but in fact, the animals Edinburgh are [or were] known far are penguins, it is London that is [or was] known for pandas!
    upload_2022-1-22_15-24-0.png
    For what it is worth, the zoo-animal theme is tied in with an otherwise "rather generic" puzzle book, though still somewhat interesting nevertheless.
    upload_2022-1-22_15-25-29.png
    This bit [of the answers] is also interesting, noting how the Tasmanian Wolf [thylacine] "may still be alive today, but no-one has seen a living specimen for many years". I think that when the book was published, it was so that the last known individual had not passed on for a sufficient-enough time [50 years] as so the species could be declared extinct. Albeit, still interesting to see!

twilighter likes this.
  2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Gillian Standring wrote several books. She was in charge of the zoo volunteers when I joined in 1987.

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I still have this book somewhere, I think I bought it at London Zoo (or less likely Whipsnade)

4. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here are the answers I got (no peeking without trying yourself!!):

Zoos:
    1. Edinburgh - Penguins
    2. Twycross - Rare Monkeys
    3. Norfolk - Pheasants
    4. Woburn - Pere David's Deer
    5. Whipsnade - White Rhinos
    6. Slimbridge - Wildfowl
    7. Bristol - White Tigers
    8. Longleat - Lions
    9. Windsor - Dolphins
    10. London - Giant Pandas

Animals:
    1. Potto
    2. Mandrill
    3. Jackal
    4. Genet
    5. Lion
    6. Zebra
    7. Eland
    8. Loris
    9. Beaver
    10. Dingo
    11. Panda
    12. Seal

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've worked them all out, although I wasn't happy with the answer for number 5