Join our zoo community

Ramat Gan Safari and Zoo

Discussion in 'Israel' started by Jarkari, 5 May 2008.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Just noticed that there are almost no photos of this zoo and there isn't even a category for it. Has anyone been here/taken photos? Seems odd to have one of the biggest/most well-known zoos in the Middle East so underrepresented.

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There were (more) pictures of this zoo in this forum, but afaik they were removed (automaticaly?), as soon as a specific date (older then 10 years?) is running out.

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Maybe you're referring to the Great Purge in 2010? That's unfortunate. I am still surprised that none have been posted since, and wonder if people *have* visited and just not posted photos.

5. Michel L'HUILLIER

Michel L'HUILLIER Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know the parents of PADANG, the Sumatran tiger, and more informations about him (birth date and place, his moves, etc) ?

6. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

Re PADANG, I have the following:
    DOB: 17 May 2000
    POB: Amneville (Coulange), France
    Moves: Ramat Gan, 2 July 2002
    Sire: OPAK (aka 'IAN')
    Dam: MEUDA (aka 'MELACCA') [732]

7. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Elephantelephant likes this.
  8. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

10. WhistlingKite24

Kifaru Bwana and Jungle Man like this.
  11. ZoomMom

ZoomMom New Member

Just wondering if anyone knows of any plans to move silverback Lukas' daughters in the near future? His oldest, Lisha, would be around 13 and last I knew she was still living with her parents.

12. WhistlingKite24

Antoine likes this.
  13. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Active Member

Review of the new native species section of Ramat Gan:
    On the 11th of April I was visiting Ramat Gan mostly to see the new renovations of what used to be the predator section and now it's turning into an area old and current native fauna of Israel.
    First of all there's a new swamp birds aviary that is 99% finished and according to a keeper I talked to, they're currently waiting for new birds to arrive in the next month or so. The aviary also has a window to the new Syrian brown bear exhibit which is what I will talk about now, the new Syrian brown bear exhibit is what used to be an exhibit for Himalayan black bears grotto now turned into a pretty, old ruins themed, mid minus sized exhibit for the 3 bears (Menta, Bo and Babet) to enjoy with a multi leveled pool for bears of all ages to enjoy, and new climbing frames and trees scratch and climb. The bears now have a window viewing point in which they make interactions with the guests. In the future after the second bear enclosure would be built the zoo plans on bringing in new bears for a breeding program.
    Overall a big improvement for the bears and they really seem to enjoys the new home. 7.5-8 in my rating.
    The new leopard enclosure is quite nice normal sized exhibit for leopards. In which male Koresh lives with lots of climbing frames, a tree and some rocks for him to enjoy, while the new female Noa is in the older leopard exhibit. The new leopard enclosure is also linked to the rock hyrax exhibit which gives the leopard some enrichment. Overall a 7 - 7.5 for me on this exhibit
    The hyrax exhibit is also quite nice with lots of rocks for the to climb and hide, a tree with a little bit of climbing frames for them. Not much on the ground sadly. Overall a 6.5-7 on this one.
    Last but not least of the new renovations are the sand cats who have a really large exhibit for them, and a really quite nice one, with sand terrain, rocks in which they use to make burrows, a tree and artificial climbing frames to use. Could use some rocky parts.
    Overall a 7.5 exhibit for me.
    Great to see Ramat Gan keep trying to improve and let's see what the future holds for them!.
    Also in the native species section a Somali wild ass named Baroko was born in January to mother Bar and and father Jude!

Last edited: 14 Apr 2023
  14. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the mini review! If you have any pictures of the new exhibits, I’d love to see them posted in the gallery!

15. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Active Member

Some are already uploaded by another person
    But I'm trying to get permission to post pics, since I'm still new here

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  16. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Active Member

The children's zoo is going to include a serious change to the petting area, which will be closed to visitors, and the animals will have a choice whether they want to be touched or not
    In addition, there will be an urban nature complex where it will be possible to observe animals that are in the environment of humans, including mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians, but also arthropods such as cockroaches, spiders and others.

Two buildings will be erected in the nature and man complex. The first simulates a residence that includes a home kitchen and a yard where visitors can see what goes on inside the home kitchen behind the scenes - (in the pipes, under the kitchen sink, etc.). Beyond what happens in the kitchen cabinets, visitors will also be able to watch the caretakers prepare the food for the animals on safari.
    In the home garden, a display will be set up where it will be possible to observe animals that accompany people in their homes such as hedgehogs, turtles and birds. We note that the residents of this display will come from those rehabilitated at the safari wildlife hospital who will not be eligible for return to the wild.
    Another yard in the building will be for small carnivores such as martens and ferrets.

In addition, a dual-purpose interactive classroom will be built with terrariums on the outside where it will be possible to observe animals that accompany the people in the city such as geckos, snakes, chameleons, spiders, toads and others. Inside the building, an innovative and dedicated classroom will be operated where visitors will be able to deepen their understanding and encounter with nature in the city.

The works are expected to be completed towards the end of the year.

Kifaru Bwana and Bactrian Deer like this.
  17. Animallover23

Animallover23 Active Member

When did female southern white rhino Mazal die?

18. Animallover23

Animallover23 Active Member

When did male southern white rhino Rafi die? And are the two females Ziona and Karnamata/Lola still living?

19. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Active Member

New Male Southern White Rhino named Mapenzi arrived from Zoo de Lille!

Animallover23 likes this.
  20. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Active Member

It was announced in February 19, that Pinchas, a Brazilian Tapir died due to an ifectious disease
    Currently the yard is empty