Join our zoo community

Rare and Interesting Owls in Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Coelacanth18, 12 Jan 2017.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

At least here in North America, zoos seem to be sorely lacking in owls and especially species that are not native to the continent (with the exception of spectacled owls). After doing some browsing, I have found that there is quite an intriguing diversity of owl species around the world. With that being said, what are some cool, interesting, and/or less common owl species that you have encountered in zoos?

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Intresting thread Coelacanth18 ! 20 - 30 years ago owl-collections were quite large at several zoos and birdparks and there were even some collections heavily specialized in owls ( in the UK several smaller collections as well as in Germany - for example Timmendorfer Strand which claimed to have the largest owl-collections world-wide with about 50 - 60 different (sub)species during the 1980-ties). Also zoos like Antwerp Zoo, Berlin Zoo and London Zoo had large owl-collections.
    Now-a-days ( at least in Europe ) zoos keep a small number of mainly native species - the exeption being the Speclacted owl which also is kept in a large number of zoos.
    Because of this thread I started to count the number of species I have taken care for myself and came to 24 species ( may have forgotten one or a few species ) :
    1) Barn owl
    2) Snowy owl
    3) European scops owl
    4) European pygmy owl
    5) European tawny owl
    6) Hawk owl
    7) Ural owl
    8) Great grey owl
    9) European eagle owl
    10) Long-eared owl
    11) Short-eared owl
    12) Little owl
    13) Tengmalm's owl
    14) White-faced scops owl
    15) Great horned owl
    16) Spotted eagle owl
    17) Verreaux eagle owl
    18) Buffy fish owl
    19) Spectacled owl
    20) Burrowing owl
    21) Brown wood owl
    22) Oriental bay owl
    23) Spot-bellied eagle owl
    24) Woodford's owl

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  3. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure if they still have them, but I seem to recall seeing Boobok Owl at Exmoor Zoo

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The Southern Boobook, along with the Spectacled Owl, is probably the most common non-native owl species held in European collections; the two species of White-faced Owl are also quite commonplace.

At the present time, the ten largest owl collections in Europe are the following:

Scottish Owl Centre - 48 taxa
    Vogelpark Niendorf - 27 taxa
    Screech Owl Sanctuary - 34 taxa
    ICBP Newent - 30 taxa
    Rodbaston - 28 taxa
    Cotswold Falconry Centre - 28 taxa
    Kington Small Breeds and Owl Centre - 25 taxa
    World of Owls Randalstown - 23 taxa
    Kirkleatham Owl Centre - 19 taxa
    Weyhill Hawk Conservancy - 18 taxa

Weltvogelpark Walsrode, by the by, barely misses out on the above list having a total of 17 taxa.

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow, zoos could do a lot good with owls. Owls generally thrive in zoos and breed easily. There are many restricted range species where zoos might build an insurance population. For example Blakiston's Fish Owl, Philippine and Nduk Eagle Owls, many scops and Ninox owls endemic to small islands in the Seychelles/Comoros and Indonesia/Philippines regions.

The problem is that obtaining founder animals is impossible. Although Blakiston's Fish Owls are present in zoos in Japan and Philippine Eagle Owls are present in the Philippines.

6. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

York Bird of Prey Centre draws with Weyhill, ZTL lists 18 taxa; I will have to check my notes to see how many they had when I last visited (6/2016), which was around this number.

7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

I saw scops and tawny owls at Milwaukee zoo's bird show does anyone know what types of owls are in zoos in the United States(excluding Canada) also are the White Faced Scops owls at Metro Richmond zoo still on display, I went there in November and did not see any.

JVM likes this.
  8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

American zoos keep a wide variety of native owl species, since there are a lot of non-releasable birds that can be trained and used for shows or display. Great horned owls, barn owls, and screech owls are the most common that I've seen. Burrowing owls are common too, but we actually breed those. The only fairly common exotic species in the States to my knowledge are spectacled owls and Eurasian eagle-owls.

9. drill

drill Well-Known Member

thank you

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can add another species to my life-list : this year the private collection I'm working at obtained a pair of Tropical screech owls ( Megascops choliba ). Because I showed a great intrest in these birds the owner donated the pair to me so now I have them in my own collection :) :

IMG-20230907-WA0064 tropical screech owl.jpg

Holly2873, splendens, Arek and 10 others like this.