Join our zoo community

Rare Heloderma subspecies ex situ husbandry

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Batto, 28 Oct 2014.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Randers is currently the only facility I know of in Europe keeping the rare Motagua Valley beaded lizard (Heloderma horridum charlesbogerti). The specimens originate from a confiscation.

Does anyone know of other facilities keeping this subspecies or other less common Heloderma subspecies outside of their natural range?

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The only place I've (knowingly) seen charlesbogerti is Zoo Atlanta, where they made quite a big thing of them. Photo attached. :)

Attached Files:

3. Batto

Thanks @Maguari.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not sure if you've ever gotten further answers to your question, but five North American institutions currently keep charlesbogerti: Atlanta (at least 0.0.2), Knoxville (0.0.2), Chehaw (2.0.0), Toronto (0.0.2), and La Aurora in Guatemala City (0.0.2). As for alvarezi, Mexico City keeps 1.1, Zoofari keeps 4.0, and Atlanta had recently exhibited a single individual on my visit back in March.

~Thylo

Batto likes this.
  5. Batto

Thank you @Thylo. I also know of both H. alvarezi and charlesbogerti kept in private hands, but unlike your examples, none of those might be legal...

ThylacineAlive likes this.