Join our zoo community

Rarest animal(s) at your local zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by pachyderm pro, 22 May 2017.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello everyone. This may have been done already, but I cant find a similar thread so if there is one, link it. The title pretty much states it all. Down below list the rarest anima(s) that can be found at your local zoo. By rare, I mean rare in captivity. What I mean is even though red river hogs are an endangered species, they are quite abundant in most US zoos. Go ahead and brag about what you get to see every time you go to your zoo :D. I will go and list mine as an example.

Brookfield Zoo: White bellied pangolin, black footed cat, fishing cat, bearcat, clouded leopard, gerenuk, addax, Mongolian wild horse, short nosed echidnas, southern wombats. cape barren goose, okapi, pygmy slow loris, bushbaby, yellow backed duiker, red flanked duiker, lowland tapir, bottlenose dolphin, micronesian kingfisher and elephant shrew.

2. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

Columbus Zoo-
    White-Bellied Pangolin, Bonobo, African Leopard(in zoos), Pygmy Slow Loris, Aruba Island Rattlesnake, Bettong, Hellbender, Florida Manatee, Hawksbill Sea Turtle, Leaf Langur (?), Common Wombat, Clouded Leopard, Palawan Binturong, Small-Toothed Civet, Kiwi, Moose(in Zoos), wolverine (in zoos), Buff Crested Bustard(?), and Painted Stork to name a few

3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Neither Clouded Leopards nor bottlenose dolphins are rare in zoos and aquariums. There are over 550 bottlenose dolphins in captivity in North America alone. Yellow Backed Duiker, Okapi, Cereopsis Geese, Fishing Cat, Binturong, and Przewalski's Horse are all also reasonably to very well established as well, and all be seen at a variety of institutions around the states and Canada.

As for my local zoo, their only decidedly "rare" species would be Keas and West Caucasian Turs.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Capuchinbird, Yucatan Neotropical Rattlesnake, Red-tailed Contia, Aardwolf, Banded Palm Civet, Magellanic Penguin, Grey's Crowned Guenon, Blue Tree Monitor, Quince Monitor, Greater Bushbaby, American Crocodile (for a zoo), Bonobo, Kea, and Grey Bamboo Lemur.

Last edited: 22 May 2017
  5. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

Blackpool: Magellanic penguins and a cuscus species

6. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Detroit Zoo has a king brown snake and claims it is the only one in captivity in the US. Someone with a deep desire to be removed from the gene pool had been keeping it as a pet and local authorities handed it over to the zoo.

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Willing to bet its not the only one being held in private hands.For the record many private keepers of venomous,have better handling skills than you are giving them credit for!

Swampy, Arizona Docent and Batto like this.
  9. cuckooduck

cuckooduck Active Member

WWT slimbridge- Andean and jame's (Puna) flamingos, Hawaiian duck (koloa), New zealand brown teal, White headed duck, Freckled duck, Hawaiian goose (nene).

10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Laysan Teal!

11. cuckooduck

cuckooduck Active Member

@FBBird Ha yes also laysan teal, Baer's pochards, marbled teal and white winged wood ducks. I left these off though as they are quite popular within aviculture and zoological institues :)

12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

The 6 rarest animals at metro Richmond zoo are African clawless otters, lesser spot nosed guenon, mishmi takin, dusky titi, southern white faced scops owl, geoffroy's tamarin( not often on exhibit).​

13. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pittsburgh zoo- Northern elephant seal sea otter Pygmy hippo(?) white bellied pangolin argentine horned frog(?) palwan binturong (behind the scenes) Queensland grouper visayan warty pig Phillipine crocodile (I can only think of three other zoos that have them) I don't know how many zoos or what animals can be rare so if there is any others let me know :D

14. natel12

I don't believe Columbus has any clouded leopards

15. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe they received cubs last year but I don't remember seeing them on exhibit this January. The species was once exhibited in the indoor sun bear exhibit (then later Amur leopards) in Asian Quest and I think it's now used for their new sloth bear.

16. natel12

Thank you and you are most likely right the amount of off exhibit animals is insane that they most likely have them

17. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

what about the black-headed ducks, a species I have yet to see.

18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You've missed out Slimbridge's greatest rarities, which aren't on show, the spoon-billed sandpipers.

19. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Reid Park Zoo. Well over a decade ago the zoo received a private collection of birds for which they built a new aviary on the site of the old one. One specimen was an unknown species that took years to identify (and probably the only one in the USA). Sadly I do not recall what species it finally turned out to be.

Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. Chiricahua leopard frog, Harris antelope ground squirrel, Coue's white tailed deer, several hummingbirds, probably some rare fish and reptiles.

20. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just had a quick search, perhaps grey-breasted babbler?