Join our zoo community

Rarest animals seen in a zoo or aquarium

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 21 Jun 2011.

1. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

What do you mean?
    EVERYTHING ON THIS LIST IS BURNING ME WITH ENVY!!! (need to see angwantibos some day!)

They had grey whales??????

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Dec 2019
  2. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member

Giant Armadillo (ZSL)
    Baikal Seal (Twycross)

Anniella, Brum and devilfish like this.
  3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member

One anyway, a rescue that was subsequently released. A few zoo chatters at least managed to see it.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

Grey Whales aren't too difficult to spot off the coast of California at the right time of year anyway. A whale watching tour during the winter months should do the trick.

~Thylo

5. Luke da Zoo nerd

Thanks.

Great Argus likes this.
  6. Great Argus

I've seen a couple Grays from shore during peak migration, they're not to difficult to find if you're keeping an eye out.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  7. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member

I did a bit of research into this for my California trip and apparently they sometimes travel in groups exceeding 30 individuals for safety (generally from orcas). I don't understand why great white sharks don't do that as well because they are even more afraid of orcas.

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member

Great whites are top predators that would compete for the same (not so common) food, whereas grey whales feed on krill, which is abundant.

ThylacineAlive and amur leopard like this.
  9. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member

Also, why are great whites not commonly seen on the Californian coast? I know the ocean is full of kelp around there, making navigation more difficult for sharks, but there are thousands of sea lions around there just waiting to be eaten. I suppose the orcas are also quite common in the vicinity, but if they were to slip into the harbours and grab a few sea lions and then skedaddle they probably would get away with it. Shouldn't Pier 39 theoretically be a shark's paradise?

Luke da Zoo nerd likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

The Californian Pacific is somewhat cooler than the species prefers - however, populations in the area *are* steadily increasing, both due to trends of oceanic warming and population increases further south off Baja California.

11. Great Argus

The Great Whites are also less commonly seen because they need not come to the surface to breathe like whales do. Indeed, they are almost never seen from shore, even though helicopter surveys over LA beaches have spotted a half dozen or more off the beach at times. Also, as TLD noted, the Pacific coast is colder than their liking, and they are relatively rare by the time you reach Monterey Bay. They generally are not found farther north than that, with the exception of the Farallon Islands, which sit well off the coast of San Francisco. I am not aware of Great Whites being found in either San Francisco or San Diego bay, and I've never heard of them reported from a harbor either. Open water without heavy boat traffic definitely does appear to be their preference. Small Great Whites have been caught on occasion from the Southern California piers, but uncommonly enough it usually makes local news.
    Orca are not as common as you suppose either, most pods seen off California and Oregon are transient pods that move around a great deal. They usually have distinct arrivals and departures, and are generally only present for a certain part of the year.

12. Luke da Zoo nerd

Thanks, that gives us all a lot of information

Rayane likes this.
  13. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

I did a 12 hour whale tour last August in Monterey Bay and was told by the marine biologists on board that increased numbers of young Great Whites are being seen now.

Luke da Zoo nerd and Great Argus like this.
  14. Luke da Zoo nerd

Do you know why? Is it climate?

15. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

The Cologne Mountain Gorillas may be an 'unhappy memory' because of the way they were acquired, and the apparent fact that they lived neither very well or very long.

16. Luke da Zoo nerd

Indeed, It's a shame I will probably never see them. Zoos need to take action on the conservation of the mountain gorilla, It is a precious species that will not survive if zoos do not take their part in protecting this species.

17. ThomasNotTom

ThomasNotTom Well-Known Member Premium Member

If going from a "rare in captivity standpoint", for me it would have to be the Bank Cormorant, Phalacrocorax neglectus (2.0) at Living Coasts in the UK. With no hope of further exports, once these boys pass, there will none left in captivity :(

ThylacineAlive and devilfish like this.
  18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more p:
    1/ There isn't room for another gorilla taxon in zoos
    2/ The Mountain Gorilla population does not need the likely deaths that would accompany the attempted collection of animals for zoos
    3/ As a conservation flagship species, they are actually increasing in the wild
    So, let's concentrate on maintaining Western Lowlands, which are well established!

19. ThomasNotTom

ThomasNotTom Well-Known Member Premium Member

And I couldn't agree more with you @FBBird . The EEP/SSP are both struggling to accommodate the surplus Western males, so any additional holders are needed for bachelor groups... not another species.
    I would also love to see a Mountain gorilla @Luke da Zoo nerd , but in-situ efforts are best for this species... Their numbers are ever increasing, so why fix something that isn't broken?

Anniella and FBBird like this.
  20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

Mountain Gorillas are easy enough to see. All you need is the money and physical fitness to go and see them in the wild. Unfortunately I have neither, but continue to enjoy Western Lowlands in zoos. I hope to see the single captive graueri one day.

ThylacineAlive likes this.