Join our zoo community

Rarest animals seen in a zoo or aquarium

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 21 Jun 2011.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

We just have to live in hope - when you consider the level of improvement in Kakapo populations from about two dozen to over 130 in only a handful of decades and even more starkly the Mauritius Kestrel which has gone from 4 individuals to over 800 since 1974, hope isn't completely gone.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Correct- if you have the Money(and the Stamina) Mountain Gorilla is perfectly possible to see in the wild. And I agree that it will never become established now as a Zoo animal- if Cologne had bred them (not possible with two females anyway) it might have been different but doubtful.

Of the other two, Kakapo is on the 'up', and Sumatran Rhino going the other way. I suspect as the Kakapo population increases so more occassional birds will come into captive situations within NZ, even if only on a temporary basis. But I suspect they will not be seen outside of New Zealand- possibly ever again?

Sumatran rhino- I guess if you have the money the animals at the Way Kambas Centre in Sumatra can be visited, and they are likely to be there longterm. What will happen to the three animals in America remains unclear.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't be surprised if there were the very occasional gift overseas of an infertile or genetically unbreedable Kakapo someday, for awareness-raising purposes - although even then, only Australia would be at all likely.

5. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Next year, if all goes to plan, I'll be visiting the Monteray Bay Aquarium that has such rarities as the Bluefin and Yellowfin Tuna and Ocean Sunfish, and if still there, the Great White Shark.

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Actually, with Australia's Quarantine laws, somewhere else would be more likely. And with New Zealand's Biosecurity laws, any bird that leaves would probably not return.

Would NZ DOC 'gift' a single kakapo? Not likely. A pair at least. But I don't think exporting them is on the cards - not for many decades. It may be even be that long before any New Zealand zoos get a pair to keep.

:p

Hix

7. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But if we look at the breeding ecology of Kakapo any breeding captivity would be extremely difficult. You need quite a big aviary where the male can build it's lek and then you need enough space (or enclosing aviaries) where the females can nest. I guess the first animals we ll see in zoos will be unbreedable individuals. And looking at the sex ratio it will be probably first a bunch of males before any female will end up in a zoo.

8. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i know;) when you're gone i'll be living in an age where zoo's have sumatran rhino's, kakapo, mountain gorilla, amazon river dolphin, douc langur, saiga, saola, mountain tapir and Hanain Gibbon are all fairly common sights in zoo's, who will be laughing then;). i really do hope that day does come where i can see all of them species:)

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I hope this dream comes true for you but some how I don't think it will,but then I can remember the days in the UK when seeing a Meerkat was as exciting as seeing the species,the species you have listed,oh to return to those happy days!!

10. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have seen Sumatran rhinos (Port Lympne, Bronx, san Diego, Amazon river dolphin (Duisburg), douc langur (London, Howletts, Cologne), saiga (East Berlin, Cologne) and mountain tapir (Los Angeles). I haven't seen the other four. Unfortunately, I never saw the solenodon in the Clore at London Zoo in 1967 (it isn't even listed in Zootierliste) and I hope to see Leipzig's pangolins in the near future.

11. Dassie rat

H.A. Moore, one of the zoo volunteers at London Zoo, saw the thylacine in about 1930. I was hoping he'd write an article about it for the volunteer newsletter, but unfortunately he died before he could be interviewed.

12. Cat-Man

I do think that part of that is realistic (chiefly mountain tapir, river dolphin (if anyone has the guts to try + import them) and douc langur)

And at the risk of making zoo giraffe a very, very angry man at me, I cannot resist saying that I've seen Commersons Dolphin at Aquatica :)

13. Dassie rat

Hallo Catman.

I don't think Zoogiraffe will be too happy. I saw Commerson's dolphin, beluga and Amazon river dolphins at Duisburg in the mid 1980s.

14. zoogiraffe

I'm not a very very angry man after that comment I'm FURIOUS,now wheres that user ignore button again:p

15. zoogiraffe

Just when I think I have got over the fact that I missed seeing the,Commersons Dolphin and Beluga at Duisberg by 4 days somebody always has to bring it back up.Time to go back to the shrink again.

16. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only just seen this thread..ive been lucky enough to see the vast majority of species listed and without doing a complete survey here are a few things off the top of my head that MIGHT not be on the other lists-

Diademed Sifaka [Duke]
    Tattersalls Sifaka[Duke]
    Hirola[Gladys Porter]
    Arabian Tahr[Sharjah]
    White-whiskered Spider Monkey[Wassenaar]
    Tibetan Macaque[Barcelona]
    Western Long-beaked Echidna[Moscow]
    Scarlet Fruit Crow[San Diego]
    Chinese Monal[San Diego]
    Horned Screamer[San Antonio]
    Giant Coot[Gladys Porter]
    Maroon-fronted Parrot[Loro Parque]
    New Caledonian Crow[Cotswold]
    Round Island Boa[Jersey]
    Thorny Devil[Alice Springs,both collections]
    White Amphisbaenid[Oklahoma City]
    Missed both the Grey Whale at San Diego Seaworld and the Black Wallaroo at Territory Wildlife Park by mere weeks sadly.And only once ever have i seen a Common Cuckoo on captivity[Walsrode]!

17. Cat-Man

Just to make it a little bit worse, I've seen the very Commersons Dolphin you missed :p Oh zoogiraffe, please don't :p , its only a quick flight down to valencia too see the beluga, puzzles me why you haven't done that yet :p I feel bad, I'll pay for the next session at the shrink and one day I'll take you to japan, california or florida to see the dolphins ;).

Out of interest, why did duisberg get rid of there Commersons dolphins and Beluga?

Last edited: 22 Oct 2011
  18. Cat-Man

prehaps in many years NZ will use it as a diplomatic gifts policy like china did. or on a loan basis?

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

one word answer, never!

New Zealand, it's government and its people have too much respect for their national treasures to go hawking them on any street corner, going to the highest bidder.

20. Cat-Man

ahh, thankyou:). it was just a suggestion and i;d just like to make it clear that i'm not familiar with the attitude of new zealanders towards there wildlife. Has anyone got a possible timescale for when we could see kakapo in permanent captivity or abroad?