Join our zoo community

Ratites and Tinamous in North America

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Great Argus, 18 Oct 2018.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Off exhibit.

ThylacineAlive and Great Argus like this.
  2. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

• Riverview Park and Zoo has both emus and greater rheas.
    • High Park Zoo has emus
    • Granby Zoo has ostriches and emus
    • Magnetic Hill Zoo has ostriches and rheas

Great Argus likes this.
  3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The National/Smithsonian Zoo's entire bird complex has been under renovation for a few years, and won't be complete until 2021. The main part is supposed to be a huge aviary focused on the migration of western hemisphere birds, but I imagine they'll have other exhibits outside the building, like they previously did (there was a building, a big aviary I've never seen open, and many large enclosures surrounding them, https://www.parkingpanda.com/blog/image.axd?picture=/2015/03/nat-zoo-map.jpg)
    In that regard, it's hard to say what they currently have, beyond the few birds kept in other areas. I'm positive they used to have greater rhea, emu, and at least one species of cassowary.

As Thylo said, Bronx still has kiwi, kept in a dark enclosure in the middle of the shorebirds building with tawny frogmouth. They list it as North Island Brown Kiwi, Apteryx mantelli.

I assume you meant Pittsburgh, not Philadelphia?

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Smithsonian kept Greater Rhea and Southern Cassowary in outside yards by the bird house. The cassowary left for another zoo before the new exhibit started but I'm not sure on the rheas, however it'd be inappropriate to list them seeing how most of the birds have left now.

Bronx keeps more than just the kiwi in the Aquatic Bird House. There's at least one in the Toco Toucan enclosure and some in the main Asian enclosure in World of Birds. There are likely some off-show, too, maybe as they have a good few birds (or did as of a couple years ago, they could've sent their bred birds out). The nocturnal habitat was built so people would actually see the species, although I did see animal in with the toucans once.

~Thylo

5. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know, it was somehere in Pennsylvannia, I thought it was Philly.

6. ThylacineAlive

The National Aviary is in Pittsburgh..

~Thylo

ZooBinh likes this.
  7. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last time I went, African Lion Safari had common ostriches and possibly greater rhea.

Also, Toronto's ostrich is said to be australis.

Great Argus likes this.
  8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Other zoos with cassowaries should include: Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Blank Park (Des Moines, IA), Houston, Louisiana Purchase (Monroe, LA), Catoctin Zoo (Thurmont, MD), Toledo, and White Oak Conservation Center (Yulee, FL). I would guess that Smithsonian sent their cassowaries away during the construction.

The Pinola Aviary in Shreveport, LA also holds Cassowary and - to my surprise - Kiwi.

JVM and Great Argus like this.
  9. HowlerMonkey

HowlerMonkey Active Member 5+ year member

Disney’s Animal Kingdom holds common ostriches. I also remember seeing ostriches at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I’m not sure how many at each facility though.

Great Argus likes this.
  10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Grant's Farm recently obtained Emus.

11. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

San Antonio Zoo holds Andean Tinamou.

I went to the Sedgwick County Zoo and Tracy Aviary a couple years ago and both had Andean Tinamou. Can anyone else confirm this for this year?

12. ThylacineAlive

Neither of the collections hold the species currently.

~Thylo

Great Argus likes this.
  13. birdsandbats

Columbus keeps Emu.

Great Argus likes this.
  14. birdsandbats

Toledo keeps Southern Cassowary.

15. birdsandbats

Although still signed, I suspect Shalom Wildlife Zoo no longer holds ostriches.

Milwaukee holds Common Ostrich.

16. AbileneBoy

AbileneBoy Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, the ostrich at Brownsville (Gladys Porter) are Masai pink-necks, the ones at Abilene are North African red-necks, and the ones at Virginia Zoo are South African black-necks. the abominable Alvin claims to hold both red-necks and Somali blue-necks.

greater rheas are supposed to be at : Abilene, Aggieland Safari (near Bryan TX), Alamogordo, Alvin, Arbuckle Wilderness, Cherokee Trace, El Paso, Gainesville, Greensboro (NC), Houston, Natural Bridge, New Braunfels, New Orleans, Smithsonian, and Stillwater. Note I did not see the rheas at Houston last month, I am not sure they are still there. I can confirm the rheas at Abilene and Aggieland from trips this year.

cassowary should be at: Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Brownsville, Dallas, Houston, NC State, OKC, San Antonio, San Diego, Smithsonian, Virginia State. Note I did not see the cassoway last month at Houston, I am not sure they are still there.

emu should be at: Aggieland, Alamogordo, Albuquerque, Alexandria, Alvin, Arbuckle Wilderness, Amarillo, Austin, Baton Rouge, Bear Creek, Bronx, Brownsville, Capital of TX, Cherokee Trace, Dallas, Fossil Rim, Franklin, Gentry, Greenwood Gators, Hillcrest, Lufkin, Natural Bridge, NC State, New Braunfels, New Orleans, San Antonio, San Antonio Aquarium (!), San Diego, Sharkarosa, Smithsonian, St Louis, Stillwater, Victoria (Texas Zoo), and Virginia State. I can confirm the Aggieland and Austin ones from trips this year.

Andean tinamou should be at Albuquerque, DW Aquarium, and San Antonio. Chilean Tinamou at Vancouver. Elegant crested tinamou at Birmingham, Bronx, Dallas, DW Aquarium, Houston, San Diego, Smithsonian, and St Louis. Great tinamou at DW Aquarium. Little tinamou at DW Aquarium. Note that I failed to notice any tinamou at Houston last month, but there are a lot of unsigned birds in the aviary at the moment, and they could have easily been out of view, like under the bridge or behind a tree.

17. birdsandbats

Where? None last summer, and not even sure where they would keep them.

18. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

The only Tinamou the Dallas World Aquarium holds are Little, Great, and Elegant Crested, of which only Little and Elegant Crested are on exhibit.

Upon my most recent visit last year they were held in one of the enclosures in the bird house.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  19. birdsandbats

Sorry for being unclear here, I meant Emu. By the time I realized it was mentioned twice in that post it was too late to edit. :)

20. AbileneBoy

AbileneBoy Well-Known Member

two notes: when I said Franklin held emu, I mean Franklin Safari in TEXAS

also, there is no Natural Ridge in TX, you are thinking of natural Bridge