Join our zoo community

raven

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by raven24, 7 Aug 2019.

1. raven24

raven24 New Member

Can anybody plz tell me if there is a way to have a raven as a pet in new zealand? Info on the net is kinda weak, and if not allowed as a pet, is there any places that can legally have ravens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

No, you cannot have a raven as a pet in New Zealand. There are none in the country and they cannot be imported.

You can have a pet Australian Magpie though. And you could have a pet Rook if you had a permit because they are considered a pest species.

raven24 likes this.
  3. raven24

raven24 New Member

Was wondering if anyone can tell me how i would go about getting a magpie for a pet. I cant have a raven in nz but i was told magpies are fine to have as a pet. Any help would be good, ive tried the spca, bird shelters, and all they say is they are wild and they cant and wont help, i would like to get a baby magpie if possible.

4. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Are your magpies a native species, or are they an introduced Australian species in N.Z. If native, you would probably need a permit to keep one. Probably not the best of pets!

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

You would need to take a chick from a nest and handraise it. But you would need to know how to raise a chick, which I suspect you don't have any experience with. If you don't know what you're doing you will just end up with a dead magpie. It would be best to just forget the idea.

Also magpies aren't very common around Wellington, so you'd probably have a hard job finding a nest in the first place, and magpies are extremely aggressive in defence of their nests so if you try to take one of their chicks you will be damaged.

Terry Thomas and animal_expert01 like this.