Join our zoo community

Re-opening of UK Zoos - dates, timings & bookings

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriUK, 11 Jun 2020.

1. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Colchester have put a post on Facebook to pass holders asking them not to block book tickets and then not attend:

“ATTENTION Zoo Passholders

PLEASE ONLY BOOK FOR A DAY AND TIME YOU KNOW YOU CAN ATTEND.

We really need your support right now to help us fight for survival. By booking slots and not arriving you are depriving us from vital income from other Zoo Passholders and those who would like to pay to visit.

In the interest of fairness for those who would like to visit and support the zoo please only book for a day and time you know you can attend. PLEASE DO NOT BOOK if you do not intend on visiting.

Please read this letter addressed to Zoo Passholders > Letter to Zoo Passholders | Colchester Zoo

We are now monitoring Zoo Passholder bookings, we will review the passholders who are seen to be abusing the system by booking multiple dates and not visiting.

Thank you for your understanding. Please be kind & thoughtful of others, not just other visitors but also our staff and animals at Colchester Zoo who really need your support.”

I can’t imagine that Colchester are the only zoo having this issue and I do wonder what the fairest and most effective work around is, either limiting tickets or freezing all memberships while numbers are limited?

2. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Our system requires season ticket holders to purchase a zero priced ticket after receiving a voucher code. We have not had to limit daily numbers of these yet, but can easily do so. Abusers would be very transparent.
    I would say that on-line booking is proving to be incredibly labour intensive. I think our DigiTicket system is as simple as any, but our secretary is doing little else other than deal with enquiries - it is taking one full wage on top of the card company and system company fees...

3. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

ZSL had a 50% attendance failure for membership tickets in the first week and have released a block of 2 weeks which you can only book 1 set during that period.
    Just can't understand why people feel the need to book tickets they won't use,
    it reminds me of the panic buying we had at the start of all this, except of course you don't buy them

Panthera1981 and Sand Cat like this.
  4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Annual pass holders abusing their slot booking rights is a new to me and would never consider it a real threat, until now.

Sand Cat likes this.
  5. Andrew Swales

There is no evidence of it here, and I cant really get my head around commissioning a system which allows it, or cant deal with it quickly.. :confused: Surely both of these big zoos had on-line ticket sales already in place, so were experienced? - unlike some of us!

6. amaroc

But you never had to book tickets if you are a member, just turn up and go in.
    Tickets booked on line were paid for, so if you don't turn up you lose the money.
    These are very different times, personally I can't understand why people do it, perhaps in case it rains, no doubt they know who double booked and will be keeping an eye on things now

Crowthorne likes this.
  7. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If members book tickets and then fail to turn up they should have there membership stopped simples.

Panthera1981 likes this.
  8. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

They've had to modify their existing systems - which essentially means booking a 'free' ticket and needing to have that and your membership card to enter. Their existing systems won't necessarily have been set up to capture a membership number or code when booking. In some ways they may be somewhat confined by the system they already have.

I put some pictures of Howletts seating at their food outlets in the 'social distancing at UK zoos' thread for you btw. Tagged you but don't know if you saw.

9. Andrew Swales

Mmmm.... yes that would explain it, I guess. Often it is harder to adapt something, than to start from scratch I guess.

Sorry missed, them, but thank very much. Just had a look, and some of the distances are pretty much the same as those we were told to remove. Nothing further came of it, and we only have a couple of weeks now until the next changes in early July.

Zia likes this.
  10. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Like I said earlier in this thread or it might have been the other one what is to stop the block booking ? And not that members on here would but If joe publics members are sold 365 days entry when they buy the memberships then if some places are restricting members to once ever 2 weeks that’s only 26 days is that’s also right I don’t know, as you might have guessed I am local to Twycross so I have are family’s memberships every year as we love the animals, know the keepers and to be honest is great value with the water park against going to are local park and prob went most weekends last year for an hour at least, don’t get me wrong I understand the zoos view of course but these are delecate times to deal certainly If memberships are up for renewal

Andrew Swales likes this.
  11. Andrew Swales

Yes, that sums it up perfectly!
    For that very reason, we would be very reluctant to limit tickets severely, and hope that the abuse Colchester and London are experiencing does not travel up the A1. Because of the fees charged by the card and admin companies our system adds another £1 per ticket at checkout, and season ticket holders have to pay this as it is the average over all ticket sales, charged at cost. We have had no comments from members about this fee, but are concerned about it. What we are planning is to extend all current tickets by a month, giving 13 months for the price of 12 whilst this system is still in place - to help compensate for the extra charge.

12. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or at the very least temporarily suspended.

I could understand unforeseen circumstances happening with some members post-booking, but a 50% failure is abhorrent. Imagine all that much-needed lost revenue from the gift shop for example. When I read that mail I was shocked. Fair play to ZSL for rectifying the situation-hopefully it’ll weasel out the abusers.

Crowthorne, AdrianW1963, Brum and 2 others like this.
  13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Totally agree with this point. I'm not a member of Birmingham WCP but if I were to book a slot then I'm damn sure I'd go on that specific date/time (They've not opened yet so it's still in the air...) and I can't see why anyone would even bother to mess about with a collections income at this time. Guess it's a different mindset for ZooChatters compared to the general public but you'd hope that people would use common sense. :rolleyes:

14. amaroc

As a fellow/member I have to sign into an online account to book free tickets and understandably only a certain amount are you available
    So are you saying that that account isn't linked to my membership ?

The biggest compliant I have heard is about the 4 hour time limit at the full price for non members, less of course queuing time,
    Not been there so no idea how bad it is but in normal times it can take quite a while to get in, but then that is often due to the pay desks
    being slow

15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As far as I can see the 4 hour time limit only applies to entry not how long you can stay. So unless you book an afternoon entry you can stay until 6 which would be more than 4 hours

16. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the full news article on Colchester's website (included below), it seems that members that block book and do not turn up could have their visiting rights suspended for a month. Seems like a fair punishment to me.

Letter to Zoo Passholders | Colchester Zoo

17. amaroc

No they are 4 hour time slots otherwise you could have an overload for the afternoon with twice the amount of people so morning tickets would have to for half the amount they allowed in and the same for the afternoon, which makes it a total farce as they mays as well let everyone in at once

We have limited the number of visitors to the Zoo.

We have strictly limited the number of tickets on sale each day and split them into morning and afternoon time slots to spread visitors throughout the day. The Zoo’s opening hours remain the same, but visitors need to pre-book either a morning or afternoon slot. Morning slots are from 10am-2pm and Afternoon slots are from 2pm - 6pm, with last admission at 5pm

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If there is no crossover gap for emptying the zoo, there is no way of controlling how long those who enter in the morning can stay though surely?

19. amaroc

No idea, only what I see on the website, best to ask them, they are pretty good at clearing out at closing time
    Seems pointless splitting entries if people can stay all day, why not just issue the entry passes and let people come and go as they please ?
    Who would book an afternoon entry with in effect a shorter time
    slot?
    Has anyone been who can clear the matter up for us ?
    ZSL never seem to do anything logically do they

20. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Most zoos have done the same thing. It's to prevent large crowds at the gate in the morning and to help spread visitors evenly around the site. A lot of places are using half hour entry slots, rather than half day ones.

pipaluk and Andrew Swales like this.