Join our zoo community

Re-opening of UK Zoos - dates, timings & bookings

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriUK, 11 Jun 2020.

1. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

As Pipaluk says,I am sure this is an 'arrival slot' - not an attendance one.
    I have not heard of an English zoo kicking visitors out mid-way through the day, as some US ones were planning to do.
    We have now put in a 10.30 starting arrival slot and a 12 start one, to ease arrival queues, and simply halved the already set daily total to half in each - and will probably stick with this going forward.

gentle lemur, Maguari and pipaluk like this.
  2. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Except it doesn't say "entry slot"
    Be interesting to hear from people that have been
    Not planning a visit anytime in the near future so not
    to worried

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

With no gap between for changeover it wouldn't seem to make much sense though, as everyone would arrive at the start of the slot and then be all bunched up in the same part of the zoo - and there's no time for 'clearing' the zoo in between. Would need either the zoo or someone who's been to confirm, but I'd be surprised if it's not just a poorly-worded sentence.

Andrew Swales and pipaluk like this.
  4. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Eden Project are opening all of their biomes & indoor areas from July 4th !

5. sparkes12

sparkes12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We went to whipsnade on reopening day and had a morning slot, was nothing stopping us staying all day but obviously the afternoon slot have no choice but to only be there for 4 hours. Personally think there should be a reduction if you have an afternoon slot and are a pay on the day guest.

6. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for clarifying it

7. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dudley zoo have a one way system, you can do most of the circuit as often as you like but once you head down to the chimps you pass the point of no return and are directed to the exit. I imagine most people just follow the route around and out, but if you want go back and see any no-shows you must do this when rejoining the route between the owls and snow leopards.

zoomart likes this.
  8. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Chester are doing that. The adult ticket price for an afternoon slot appears to be (a very reasonable) £10.90.

9. Andrew Swales

A big deal is being made of something which is surely pretty self-explanatory...?
    As Maguari said, a slot ending as another starts is not designed to aid cleaning, simply as an arrival control. Most zoos could not find everyone on site and usher them out (maybe against their co-operation?), certainty not every half hour!
    When it is so clearly an arrival slot, it really does not need to complicate matters by stating any more and explaining what it isn't..
    Why? The zoo desperately needs the money and you are given the choice of buying an afternoon slot or an earlier one...
    It appears to have quickly changed from donations to aid survival to demands to slash prices... Chester may be able to afford to do that, some zoos cant...

TNT and SHAVINGTONZOO like this.
  10. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I've no idea - did you create the account yourself or were log on details given to you? If it is the former then did you have to input your membership number anywhere? Maybe it is linked - would be good if it was as they may be able to identify those abusing the system.

There is no time limit. The idea is to spread entrance throughout the day. I am sure they are working on the assumption that crowds will thin in the afternoon - but you can of course stay all day.

pipaluk and Andrew Swales like this.
  11. Andrew Swales

They do exactly this, Zia. They did in the 'old days', and still do now...

SHAVINGTONZOO and Maguari like this.
  12. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I would think with the average family they may even spend less time than normal at the moment - with indoor areas closed and no kids play areas available I mean.

I love the afternoon lull when zooing - much calmer / more pleasant usually!

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having visited today, I can only echo @Shorts comments, no complaints at all about Hamerton's organisation, used cafe twice too and service was excellent, I hope those friendly staff make enough to keep their jobs!!

TNT, Tim May, zoomart and 4 others like this.
  14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Linton Zoo re-opens tomorrow, with the now standard (for most) tickets booked in advance only. So far tickets only available for fist week beginning Monday 29th on Monday, Tuesday and Friday to Sunday

Tim May likes this.
  15. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

COTSWOLD FALCONRY CENTRE -
    Will be re-opening 01st July
    Social distancing as usual apply
    Free flying display will be 11.30am, 13.30pm & 15.30pm NO free flying display at 16.30pm this year.
    Doors will open at 10.30am and close at 16.30pm (last entry at 15.15pm)
    Car park will close at 17.00pm.

There will be NO food and drink at the centre but Toilets will be open.
    There will be NO bird handling opportunities or experiences for the time being.
    Photography experiences will shortly start at the centre.
    Cashless payments are requested for safety.

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Paignton - booking for slots from 20 July to 4 August will begin on 10 July.

17. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Deep in Hull have announced that they will be re-opening from Monday 27th July. Timed tickets will have to be purchased online.

The re-opening has apparently been possible through a new Community Partnership will Hull-based company Arco, which seems to produce safety equipment.

More information in the link below:
    Latest news from The Deep | The Deep

Maguari likes this.
  18. Maguari

So pleased to see them reopen (and yes, I have already booked myself in!). Was getting a mite concerned at the lack of a reopening date but I'm guessing agreeing this partnership was a big part of the slight delay - it would be interesting to know exactly how the Arco deal works but for now the main thing is that it does work, gets the doors back open and keeps them so.

DesertRhino150 likes this.
  19. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Quite day today, just wondering if anyone’s knows why zoos aren’t doing meet the animal experiences again yet ?

20. Maguari

I think it's mostly just a case of avoiding unnecessary close contact - though YWP has just announced this week that the experiences are back on sale now: Yorkshire Wildlife Park