Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Ready by Christmas!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ZooLeopard, 20 Nov 2009.

1. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Colchester Zoo's brand new Amur Leopard Enclosure will be completed by Christmas. It will be home to Dende and Milena until Sayan completes his six month quarintine. The new exhibit includes a public training area, lots of height, fantastic climbing structures and a stream.

Any suggestions as to what the new exhibit should be called?

2. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

The New Enclosure sounds great is it too be linked to the orginal enclosure?
    Personally I dont see the big thing about naming enclosures - Its all abit of a Promotional Stunt if you ask me. As 'Lion Rock' Sounds alot more appealing than 'New Lion Enclosure'.
    But im being abit picky here what matters is if the Leopards like it, if they dont than to me its a failure if they like it than thats great. And i hope they will like it the enclosure does look to be quite promising but I havent seen many pictures of it so far.
    I hope for the best :)

3. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

it's hard to think of suitable names but something Russian would be good. I am interested to see how the old marmoset and tamarin enclosures have been developed into part of the enclosure or if they are staying for marmosets and tamarins.
    PS ZooLeopard, did you find out what happened to Cooper the Cheetah? :confused:

4. ZooLeopard

The new exhibit does incorporate the old enclosure as well as the margay enclosure. Will try to hopefully provide an aerial shot of the enclosure.

5. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Thanks ZooLeopard
    Is their any reason why they didnt do this before? Or were they just thinking of housing a non-breeder and then things changed?
    Are the margays being housed elsewhere or going to another collection?

6. ZooLeopard

Russian would be good. Riziki, names are mainly used to entice the public to visit them and to help visitors to find specific animals.. Such as Gorilla Kingdom at London Zoo, Realm of the red Ape at chester or Lion Rock at colchester. Last time I visited a few weeks ago the marmoset and tamarin enclosures were untouched, though I was told they were being incorporated.

7. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

I know that Zooleopard thats what i put as a Promotional Stunt.
    I just dont particularly like them if you get what i mean. A Tiger Enclosure is a Tiger Enclosure simple as - Thats just my view.
    Plus sometimes names are nothing like the title they have been given! - These names have to be given to the Enclosure specifically, something that describes the enclosure well. Have you got any more recent pics that are not on the gallery yet Zooleopard?

8. ZooLeopard

Riziki, mainly because of the complex issues with Orangutan Forest. Margay are either off-show now or about to leave.

9. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

What do you mean about the Orangutan Forest? - I agree that in my opinion it is a terrible name as it does not describe the enclosure (more importantly the outdoor one) very well - But thats just me.
    There are plenty of others in the UK with rather random naming issue's but just calling something 'Tiger Territory' Doesnt really do much for me I'm afraid.

10. ZooLeopard

I guess youre talking about the utterly brilliant Noahs ark zoo farm decapitating centre! Notice the sarcasm.

11. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Haha! There's loads of Average Tiger Houses called Tiger Territory around the UK - It was an orginal name.................once ;)
    But in my opinion houses shouldnt be open to the public so naming it just brings more people in and the Tiger has less space away from peering eye's.
    Good Luck to Colchester in the new enclosure. It seems to take up alot of space is it really that big?

12. ZooLeopard

not sure whether its 100% accurate, but this is a rough idea of the size of the new enclosure

Last edited: 8 Jan 2010
  13. mr.felidae

mr.felidae Well-Known Member

dont quote me on it but i think the margays have gone to Amazona zoo...when i was at Thrigby hall the owner said he had been holding them there before moving them to Amazona

14. ZooLeopard

do you mean holding them at colchester?

15. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well the new exhibit does look spacious.:) I have very high expectations for this exhibit.

16. mr.felidae

no holding them at thrigby, in the enclosure next to the asian golden cat

17. ZooLeopard

did he definatley say they were from colchester?

18. mr.felidae

thats what im not 100% sure on....thats the name that sticks in my head though

19. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

I'm very much looking forward to the enclosure opening. Can't wait for the tropical house either though this won't be for a while ! :rolleyes:

20. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

I have seen the post on facebook that they are looking for a name for the Amur leopard enclosure and the new south american enclosure in the farm area!

Seems a name with Katavi and Leoni in it seems to be the firm favourite lol though not sure about the adding of 'FOREST' to everything is a good idea for Colchester :)