Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Realm of the red ape

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Writhedhornbill, 5 May 2007.

1. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

That's a different Sibu...

The current Orangs should be

Tuan
    Sibu
    (Kevin)

Martha
    Leia
    Sarikei
    Dona

Perhaps it is a typo on the zoo's website

2. monkeyworld

monkeyworld Well-Known Member

what sibu do you mean then ?

3. CZJimmy

The Sibu at Dublin is different from the Sibu at Chester.

Chester's Sibu was born at Chester and is Martha's son and half-brother to Leia and Sarikei I believe. He has since been at Barcelona and Apenheul before returning to Chester last year.

Dublin's Sibu (according to their website) was born in LA, moved to Rotterdam, then onto Dublin and was loaned to Rhenen zoo before returning to Dublin last month.

4. monkeyworld

oh right that would make sense briging a new female to pair with him

But why would they bring kevin in ?

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

If I were the stud book keeper, I'd insist on original names for baby orangutans. I know they have their own stud book numbers, but it's a bit demeaning to address an ape by its number :)

6. monkeyworld

i wish i could look at the studbook for orangs !!! anyone know how ?

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Is there a library at your local zoo? At Paignton, members can go in and look at them there.

8. monkeyworld

i will do some investigating thanks ... have u seen it then ?

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yes, I've seen several but not the most recent one, which I think is in use by the staff - the stud book keeper is at Paignton. I do have my own copy of the 2004 version but there have been a lot of changes since then and it's hard to keep it up to date. Very interesting, anyway.

10. monkeyworld

can you send it to me ?

11. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kevin is a wild-born orang utan and hasn`t bred yet, so he is super-high on the list of males that should breed. He has no female in Berlin Zoo and since Berlin is concentrating on Sumatran orangs (they have two small breeding groups), he can`t bred in Berlin. He has been rescued from a circus where he had been terribly mistreated about 10-15 years ago and he can´t walk, so he may not be suitable for each zoo/each enclosure. He is surely "special needs" and think it`s a terrific idea to send him to Chester!

12. CZJimmy

When you say can't walk, does that mean he has difficulties walking or is completely gone from the waist down?

The tall netted enclosures may be perfect for him as they encourage the orangs to use their upper body strength to climb

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'll send you a PM about it tomorrow.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chester certainly seem to be increasing their Borneans. Its good they are taking on this male 'Kevin' for breeding. The enclosure should be fine for him even if he is 'impaired'. He can still move about/climb using just his arms if necessary. This will presently make three adult males(I know Sibu may leave) so each of the 3 inside areas of the old Orangutan house will be filled as each male will have to be seperate from each other. Seeing each other through mesh divisions in the ROTRA open part too may have to be avoided as it could promote aggression- which in turn can lead to destructive behaviour as the males may start dismantling the enclosures in order to try and get at each other.....

Are there any confirmed pregnancies from the other newish male (Tuan?) yet? And any news on a possible destination for Sibu(and partner?) in due course?

Last edited: 22 Feb 2009
  15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I asked about Kevin coming to Chester yesterday and just got blank looks. If he is coming, no one has informed the staff. No pregnancies were announced for the Bornean females either.

16. Pertinax

So is it a misunderstanding created by ZooChat i.e. was Jana referring to another zoo rather than Chester in the 'has Kevin arrived yet?' original post...:confused:

I would expect one or two of the females to be pregnant by now.

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Could it be COLchester :confused:

18. Pertinax

mmmmmmm:confused: I rather hope for Kevin's sake it isn't, given the new enclosure there. It hasn't got very good facilities for an animal that has problems walking- he would need more climbing opportunity than most, not less.

19. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was refering to Chester. An article on the HP of Dvur Kralove zoo states clearly: "...a tak evropský koordinátor chovu orangutanů bornejských doporučil spojení Dony s novým partnerem, samcem Kevinem z berlínské zoo. Nově vytvořený pár by se v Zoo Chester měl stát základem tamního chovu bornejských orangutanů." = "...and so the Borneo orang utan EEP coordinator recommended a connection of Dona with a new partner, male Kevin from Berlin zoo. Newly formed pair should become a base for breeding of Borneo orang utans in Chester."

source

20. Pertinax

Thankyou for the information. So it seems Chester staff don't know they are to receive not one, but two new Orangs soon.