Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Recent history of Taronga and developments etc

Discussion in 'Australia' started by hodgey, 13 Sep 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Taronga Zoo Orangutans (1990s)

Taronga Zoo had eight orangutans at the start of the 1990s (listed in order of birth):

Judy II (Hybrid Female)
    Born 26 October 1957 at Taronga Zoo
    Died at Taronga Zoo 10 June 2007
    Sire: Rufus, Dam: Helen

Wendy (Hybrid Female)
    Born 20 March 1961 at Taronga Zoo
    Died at Taronga Zoo 27 April 2001
    Sire: Rufus, Dam: Helen

Perang (Hybrid Male)
    Born 1 February 1972 at Taronga Zoo
    Died at Taronga Zoo 22 May 1990
    Sire: Roy, Dam: Leslie

Perak (Hybrid Female)
    Born 26 March 1972 at Taronga Zoo
    Sent to Hyderabad Zoo 22 May 1990
    Sire: Rufus, Dam: Judy II

Archie (Hybrid Male)
    Born 6 May 1975 at Taronga Zoo
    Died at Taronga Zoo 25 March 1996
    Sire: Roy, Dam: Wendy

Wanita (Hybrid Female)
    Born 23 March 1979 at Taronga Zoo
    Sent to Auckland Zoo 6 March 2001
    Sire: Roy, Dam: Wendy

Willow (Hybrid Female)
    Born 9 May 1985 at Taronga Zoo
    Still at Taronga Zoo 2 December 2016
    Sire: Perang, Dam: Wendy

Jantan (Hybrid Male)

Born 11 July 1987 at Taronga Zoo
    Still at Taronga Zoo 2 December 2016
    Sire: Perang, Dam: Judy II

Taronga Zoo imported three orangutans in the 1990s (listed in order of arrival):

Melur (Bornean Female)
    Born 11 June 1988 at Hong Kong Zoo
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 7 February 1995

Gangsa (Bornean Female)
    Born 31 December 1989 at Hong Kong Zoo
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 7 February 1995

Datuk (Bornean Male)
    Born 18 May 1989 at Auckland Zoo
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 13 December 1996
    Died at Taronga Zoo 4 April 1998

steveroberts likes this.
  2. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cool thanks for the info Zoofan :) . Do you (or anyone) know why there are some Orangs died in their 20s when Orangs can live in their late 40 s and 50s? i know its obviously health issues down to the individual but do you know the main issues with (not premature) young adult deaths in captivity with Orangutans even if just Taronga (Archie, Datuk, Perak, Perang and even Wendy even if she made it to 40)

3. Zoofan15

I know Datuk (1989-1998) died of heart failure. This seems to be have been a problem affecting many individuals in his paternal line. His half sibling, Intan, also born at Auckland Zoo in 1989 died recently too of heart failure in the US. She was only in her early 20s too :(

4. steveroberts

Thats really sad :(

5. steveroberts

Did Shiva stay at Taronga after he was independent from Nico's care like his siblings or did he stay at the zoo until he met Seletan there and both his parents had died? If this info is already written on the site i'm sorry i dont remember seeing it. Only just though about it and got curious.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting that the two hybrids left at Taronga are themselves the offspring of (the previous) hybrids. That didn't happen too often. I remember the first time I saw orangutans at Taronga they were in atrociously antiquated housing where I think their early Gorillas were also kept- it really was very bad.

7. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The fact that palm squirrels have persisted for so long would make authorities even more cautious about allowing other species into the country in case a pest species does emerge. For the record palm squirrels were also at liberty in and around Taronga Zoo for many years (I can remember them in the '70's). There were also grey squirrels wild in Melbourne suburbs (Ripponlea in particular) and in Ballarat as late as the second world war.

Personally I regret the small numbers of exotic small mammals (and birds) in Australian zoos but I think we can put this down to the fact that although they add interest and colour to a zoo they are not major drawcards so most zoo managers would not consider them worth the considerable trouble and expense to import.

8. steveroberts

Yeah fair enough

9. Zoofan15

Good question, Sumatran tiger cubs usually leave their mother's care at around the age of two years in the wild. The mother comes back into season and instinctively drives the cubs off as she prepares to mate again and raise a new litter. By this age, the cubs are more or less independent of their mother and can hunt for themselves. In captive tigers, where nutrition is better than in the wild etc. this process tends to occur earlier, with the mother tiger tending to show impatience with the cubs as early as 12 months. This instinct is often reduced by use of contraceptives to allow housing of the mother and her adult cub/s. This has been done effectively at Taronga Zoo with Assiqua and Auckland Zoo with Molek to provide two examples.

To answer your question, Shiva was part of a litter of three (one did not survive) born in September 1985. In July 1987, when Shiva and his sister Kali were 22 months old, Kali was exported to the San Diego Zoo. It would have been around this time. or even before that Shiva and Kali were independent of Meta's care and were no longer housed with her.

I'd imagine contraceptives were limited in tiger's back in the 1980s and probably not used to extend the period of time Meta tolerated Shiva being housed with her. Meta gave birth to her next litter in November 1988 so we can conclude 100% Shiva would not have been housed with Meta at the time of the cub's birth.

I've read info which implies Nico and Meta were housed together full time, and Nico may have even assisted in the raising of the cubs (as does happen in some captive situations). I got the impression that Taronga were not against the concept in 2011 when Satu and Jumilah bred, but did not want to attempt it with Satu being so unpredictable and aggressive.

Shiva remained at the zoo after his siblings were exported and his parent's died the same year Selatan arrived in 1992.

10. Zoofan15

Yes, they were third generation orangutans, their respective mother's being born to a female called Helen, who from memory was a purebred Sumatran. Unfortunately, she was bred with Rusty, who was either a purebred Bornean or a hybrid himself, creating the second generation which were hybrids. Taronga Zoo bred so many orangutans, it's such a shame they didn't realise back then that orangutans are of two different sub species. I'm guessing zoos such as Perth simply bred Sumatrans by pure luck (having received only sumatrans as founders) initially.

I am however confused by the fact Auckland Zoo decided to import purebred Borneans in 1983 and 1984 based on the reason most zoos in the region held Sumatrans (wouldn't that be a reason NOT to import Borneans)?

What year did you first visit Taronga? If it was pre-1980, do you recall how many groups/cages the chimpanzees were in? I've heard somewhere they were kept in pairs initially similar to how the gorillas were?

*Rufus not Rusty

11. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Looking at this photo, there appears to be about 7 separate cages. The chimps had the run of at least three of them.
    [​IMG]

12. steveroberts

Awesome thanks for the info. I cant believe I wrote Nico's care not Meta's I got the names to the genders mixed around lol. Maybe because of Nico the late musician ive always thought Nico was a feminine name and Meta to me sounds more masculine lol.

But to get back to the important point its interesting the way Meta & Nico and then their son Shiva and Seletan his partner all seemed to have a peaceful pairing co-existence compare to other Tigers paired up. Its great to know they were like that in life :)

13. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

no more photos hix. you are making me feel old.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think Perth imported at least one Bornean as well, maybe more, but fortuitously it died/wasn't involved as part of their original breeding pair.

I think maybe when Auckland wanted to go into Orangutans maybe they could not source them from Australia and had to look to Europe- and take members of whichever species was available.

Hix' photo of the old Taronga ape cages brings back memories, though I think the area was close to closure when I saw it as it looked more rundown than the photo shows. They probably were no worse than some similar cages of the period on other continents either. I only remember Orangutans in there.

15. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Incorrect. Perth had Borneans at the same time (eg. longevity record breaker Mawas lasted until the 90s) and bred hybrids (those individuals that I'm aware of ended up being rehomed in Indian zoos).

steveroberts and Pertinax like this.
  16. Zoofan15

Great photo Hix, thanks for sharing. Would love to see any other chimpanzee (or tiger) photos you have from Taronga Zoo. From what I understand, the chimpanzees were initially kept in pairs but then mixed into one community which had access to three interconnected cages (which is what you described. Do yuo recall if they were in one community or if the three cages were separate?

steveroberts likes this.
  17. Zoofan15

As easy mistake to make. I've never heard the name 'Meta' anywhere else, I don't think it's Indonesian but it could be.

Yes it does seem to be a rarity in zoos these days. Tigers are usually solitary, but there are of course exeptions. At Hamilton Zoo, Nico and Meta's grandaughter, Mencari (2000) is housed full time with the male, Oz (2004). I think this was necessitated by the fact Hamilton Zoo have five adult tigers and by keeping Oz and Mencari together, they can both have full time access to one of the outdoor enclosures. Therefore it's a win-win situation.

At the Dublin Zoo, the male tiger Kepala was so docile he could be kept full time with his mate and their two cubs. The four of them would all sleep together in the den at night and he would show protective behaviour towards the cubs if the keepers were nearby.

I saw a video from ZSL London Zoo which showed both adult tigers together in a den while the female was giving birth. Again, the male posed no threat to the cubs.

Males tend to be more unpredictable and aggressive and therefore their personality is the biggest factor in whether a pair can be kept together or not. I believe Shiva (1985) was chosen over Jambi (1988) to form Taronga's next breeding pair with Selatan (1990) based on his laid back nature. In terms of age and longevity of the pair, Jambi would have appeared a better choice so there was clearly a factor that overode that.

steveroberts likes this.
  18. Zoofan15

Just did some research. Mangar (M) and Shimbu (F) were siblings born at Melbourne Zoo 29/03/1989. They arrived at Taronga Zoo in February 1990 and left Taronga Zoo in March 1991 to return to Melbourne Zoo. Mangar later went to Mogo Zoo and fathered two litters of cubs in October 1999 (Shiva and Bhutan) and October 2003 (Tenzin and Kumar). Shimbu remained at Melbourne Zoo but never bred with her mate.

Taronga Zoo's first breeding pair were Prafula (M) and Omaha (F). Prafula was born 03/06/1988 at the Chicago Zoo and arrived at Taronga Zoo in September 1990. Omaha was born 27/07/1989 at the Omaha Zoo and arrived at Taronga Zoo September 1990. The pair never bred and retired to Mogo Zoo in September 2003.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2016
    steveroberts likes this.
  19. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

They were all in one community with the interconnecting doors open so they had access to all three cages. There was something like 20 of them, if I remember correctly, so it was a noisy place and sometimes stressful for the chimps as I would periodically see them chasing each other through the cages screaming.

The chimps moved into the new Chimp Park in 1980 so the orangs pretty much had the complex to themselves for over a decade until the new orang facility was built in the early 90's (I vaguely recall some monkeys may have occupied a cage for a short period of time). The roof was meshed as well which allowed for brachiating around the exhibit, something they couldn't do in their outdoor enclosure. And the cages were usually in shadows and appeared dark, similar to what you would find in a rainforest - the new enclosure they got was open and sunny. I'm not saying the old enclosure was better than the new, just that while it looked bad it probably wasn't as bad for the animals as many people imagined.

:p

Hix

steveroberts likes this.
  20. doctorkay

doctorkay Member 10+ year member

Mandrills.
    I remember mandrills being in the last cage on the right..

steveroberts likes this.