Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Recent history of Taronga and developments etc

Discussion in 'Australia' started by hodgey, 13 Sep 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definately, it was just *sugar* luck that Taronga's founders were two Sumatran females and two Bornean males! I guess an orangutan was an orangutan and the island it came from seemed irrelevant. Today it seems like devastating ignorance given the advantage of hindsight, though technically our region is making the same mistake with chimpanzee with every holding zoo in Australasia actively breeding hybirds. Personally this doesn't bother me at this present time but I wonder if decades from now people will look back and wonder what they were playing at when Europe recongises and segregates chimpanzee by their subspecies for breeding.

2. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Actually they were regarded as one species until 1996 so in fact nobody can be blamed for this, at least until then.

Tigergal likes this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They were recognised as seperate subspecies for several decades prior to that, however at the much earlier time that founder stock was imported to places like Taronga it was deemed of little or no significance. Frequently it wasn't even clear which subspecies were held at any particular zoo either.

4. Zoofan15

Indeed nobody can be blamed, that's why I used the term ignorance (meaning a lack of knowledge).

Like Pertinax said, they were recognised as separate sub species several decades earlier. In the 1992 book 'Tiger by the Tail - a History of Auckland Zoo', Derek Wood discusses the import of Auckland Zoo's purebred Bornean orangutans and how most of the zoos in Australasia held purebred Sumatrans.

Personally I'm curious to see if chimpanzees in the region will go the same way, like they have in Europe.

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

In 1990 I had a discussion with some of Taronga's staff regarding the subspecies of Orangs and suggested Taronga should probably sterilise their hybrids and become a regional holding centre for all the hybrids in the region, to free up space in other zoos that had purebred subspecies.

The aggressive resistance I received was based upon the fact that orangs as a species were endangered, and stopping them from breeding was counterproductive to saving them.

I should also point out that this was just before London Zoo ran into trouble and almost closed, because before that time most zoos had an interest in breeding animals to keep in zoos, and very few zoos had any interest in returning anything to the wild.

Pretty much the same argument could have been used for the chimps.

:p

Hix

Tafin and steveroberts like this.
  6. Zoofan15

Sounds like you identified the solution to the problem long before they did. Good to see it was eventually recognised as a good idea and implemented.

I'm guessing Taronga initially wanted to contribute to the Bornean orangutan breeding programme as they imported 1.2 young Borneans in the 1990s alongside their many hybirds. I'm not sure why they gave up after the young male died as Auckland could easily have supplied them with a replacement male. After exporting the two young females to Auckland, and getting shot of another one of their hybrids in the process, they acquired a purebred Sumatran, Kluet. Again, I'm not sure why as they never imported a female/females despite having less hybrids by then than they did when they attempted to start a breeding colony of Borneans.

It's interesting how Perth were able to streamline their breeding programme by sending all their hybrids to zoos in India so they could focus on the Sumatrans. Taronga are obviously in the process of doing the same with Jantan and Willow's days at Taronga now numbered. Orana Wildlife Park will now longer be receiving them as I understand they wish to acquire Sumatrans too.

It seems that in addition to knowledge of their being two dfferent sub species, and recongnition of this fact, the regional breeding programme could have benefited from greater coordination between the zoos. Had Auckland decided in the 1980s to acquire Sumatrans because most of the zoos in the region held them, instead of Borneans because of the same reason, then they too wouldn't be in the same boat of trying to relocate their Borneans and they hybrid they accepted from Taronga.

Tafin likes this.
  7. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm sure August 1994 cant be described as recent but I thought I'd recall my first visit to Taronga Zoo this month. I'm hoping maybe you all can fill me in on any individual animals I miss out on.

NOTE: Does not include the Australian section as my Mum couldnt be bothered seeing the area. I first saw that on a school excursion in March 1995 (first time seeing Platypus, Tasmanian Devils, Water Rats and Long Beaked Echidna ... and Alpine Dingo but had seen other Dingoes before).

So front start to finish remember

1. Old Reptile House (apparently from 1959-? this area was where Lowland Gorilla pair were also kept
    2. Komodo Dragon (Tuka is assume) in the old enclosure (wondered if from 1960s when Keith and the female were brought to TZ by Hallstrom if this exhibit was first built back then?)
    3. The Alligator Pond (this has to be one of the longest lasting exhibits at the zoo, albeit renovated)
    4. Koala Walkabout (i know i said no Australian animals, this was the exception) * do not remember looking at the Australian birds, Macaws, Sun Conures or Agoutis opposite this exhibit but know they were there
    5. Renovated exhibit that would become 'Serpentaria' or the Reptile World the following year. A map from 1990 I saw on this forum (thanks whoever uploaded it) showed the Dromedary Camel were here shortly before
    6. Golden-Lion Tamarin in that aviary like exhibit (wondered how old the enclosure was and if it had housed other Tamarin/Mamoset species before, later I think it was an Asian species of Tree Shrews)
    7. Hybrid Orangutans and Crab Eating Macaque (saw a documentary earlier that year on the creation of that exhibit for the Orangs from their old enclosure, remeber Archie, Wendy, Jantan and Willow, apparently the zoo considered the possibility Mary the Gibbon as an enclosure companion but ultimately went with the Crab Eating Macaque family who I assume were at the zoo before the exhibit, remember reading in Darryl Clements book about Crab Eating Macaques escpaping their enclosure, and read somewhere the first CE Macaques were at Taronga in 1914 when the zoo was still at Moore Park)
    8. The Giraffes in their famous enclosure, along with a herd of Scimitar-Horned Oryx
    9. The Chimpanzee Park (and of course we spent a long time here enjoying watching them, nearly 26 years ago but remember clear as day)
    10. Ostrich in the right hand side of the sheltered entry exhibits to the African Waterhole
    11. The Barbary Sheep herd in the opposite exhibit and continuing down the path with long wooden poles with a few gaps between to see them
    12. Sitatunga (I dont remember well, just beautiful antelope) for a long time just thought I'd seen Bongo but Chliodinias on this site enlightened me they came a few years later
    13. Zebra (hybirds?) in the small paddock enclosure that would later be home for both Indian Rhinoceroses and Black Rhinoceros
    14. Pygmy Hippo (wondered if it was Cleo the female?) one of my favourite animals and the first time in my life I ever saw either of the two Hippopotamus species. Another Pygmy Hippopotamus in the opposite enclosure that recently got converted to a Meerkat Exhibit (and the former the newer Fennec Fox exhibit)
    15. The Asian Lion pair (the first time I visited I swear the viewing area was covered and darker)
    16. The Old Seal Exhibits & Seal Show (very charismatic Seals, but all Seals are anyway, remember one impressive individual thats seemed to be so big)
    17. The Spider Monkeys in their old enclosure
    18. I think De Brazzas Guenons, Squirrel Monkeys and I swear I remember Mandrill also
    19. 'Jungle Cats' the beautiful Asiatic Golden Cats, Fishing Cats and middle aviary for Prevosts Squirrels. The exhibit had a very beautiful sign showing other smaller wild cats of the world (included a picture of a Cougar/Puma which I was taken with as never had seen one, still havent)
    20. This is a little foggy but I swear I remember three exhibits with Goodfellow or Matschies Tree Kangaroo, Double-Wattle Cassowarry and White Swans
    21. The Asian Elephants: He-Man/Herman on one side and Burma and I think Renee on the other (was the old Elephant Temple ever open for guests to come in and view the animals closer even though still through barriers?)
    22. The Little Penguins (Im not sure but maybe more Monkeys in this area too, like Ringtail Lemur, my memory is a bit foggy here, perhaps I saw Guenon, Squirrel Monkeys and Mandrill here not before)
    23. Mary the Bornean Muellers Gibbon on her famous island (she was single for a long time right, her mate Robinson died like many decades before her)
    24. Saltwater Crocodile, down the stairs to the left behind Mary Gibbon and the Elephants, the Croc was in the inside land part of the exhibit at the time, going down the steps to see it we came back the way we came after but dont remember seeing the famous Moore Aviary, clearly walked past it, being five years old my Mum decided where we walked and stopped
    25. Claudia/Claudio the Brazilian Tapir (so beautiful) in the area the Gorillas are now
    26. Friendship Farm (highlights on that first trip were the Asian Water Buffalo, Scottish Highland Cattle and a middle small building part with terrariums of which I remember the Bearded Dragon
    27. Chilean Flamingo in their pond
    28. The three beautiful Kodiak Bears
    29. The Sumatran Tiger pair Shiva and Seletan
    30. Clouded Leopard/s (the darkened middle exhibit between the Tiger exhibits, there was a sign with a drawing of Sabre-Tooth Cat explaining how the Clouded Leopard has the widest mouth when opened of wilds cats with fangs/canines the same size as Tigers even though they are 10 times smaller, god I love Clouded Leopards)
    31. Chester the White Tiger (beautiful he was,even though I support not breeding them as not conservationally rational as inbred). As Chester was maybe a quarter Siberian and three quarters 'Bengal' I wondered if he was labelled at the time as a white Siberian Tiger as that is what my parents use to say in reference to white Tigers.
    32. The Fenenc Foxes in their wired enclosure and those Fenenc ears neaby guests could stick their face between
    33. Dholes (didnt come out of hiding that visit)
    34. Ali the Black Jaguar (was so in love with him)
    35. Snow Leopards (same with them)
    36. Himalayan Tahr herd
    37. Another Pygmy Hippopotamus (i know this exhibit later became Malaysian Tapirs exhibit)
    38. Meerkat troop
    39. About three aviaries with Grass Owl, Bookbook Owl and Barn Owl?
    40. Aldabra Giant Tortoise group (just before that the yet to be demolished old Orang/Chimp enclosures that soon became Bird Show area, old 1990 map shows Pygmy Hippo/oes once in this area too so perhaps this is where I saw the third Pygmy Hippo, maybe Ali Jaguar was where the Malaysian Tapirs would later be?
    41. Andean Condor aviary (biggest birds of prey Ive ever seen)
    42. Binturongs (one of my alltime favorites, that first time were asleep in wooden treehouse den)
    43. Dromedary Camel (in paddock opposite Binturongs, back part of friendship farm) I think Fallow or Sambar Deer were with Camel too
    44. Red Panda (didnt see them that time amazaingly, maybe hiding or out of enclosure that day)
    45. Short Clawed Otters swimming about in an enclosure that was had a big tank area at the front
    46. Sun Bear pair in the old canyon/grotto enclosure that now houses Red Pandas (I remember one of the Sun Bears had like a pale blotch on his or her nose)
    47. A pair of (I now know to be both female) Elephant Seals (needless to say was blown way and very obsessed after seeing), they did swim about and were quite charsimatic (the 1990 map implies Leopard Seals were in this pool. I didnt know they were at the zoo before they returned in mid '00s)
    48. Australian Fur Seals/New Zealand Fur Seals/Australian Sea-Lions (I loved watching them too but I think my focus had been captivated by Elephant Seals a bit)

Jambo, Tafin and Chlidonias like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Here’s what I can help with:

Taronga Zoo had been without gorillas since 1980, when Buluman and Betsy moved to Melbourne Zoo. Kibabu’s troop arrived in 1996.

Yes, this would have been Tuka. Tuka arrived in 1991 from Ragunan Zoo, Jakarta, having been caught as a juvenile in 1983. He moved to Serpentaria, Taronga’s new reptile and amphibian complex the year after your visit in 1995.

The first two Komodo dragons arrived in 1963. The female died in 1967 from septicaemia caused by a heavy amoebic parasitic burden; while the male, Keith, lived for another 24 years.

There were 2.4 orangutans (all hybrids):

Judy II (F)
    Born 26 October 1957 at Taronga Zoo
    Died at Taronga Zoo 10 June 2007
    Sire: Rufus, Dam: Helen

Wendy (F)
    Born 20 March 1961 at Taronga Zoo
    Died at Taronga Zoo 27 April 2001
    Sire: Rufus, Dam: Helen

Archie (M)
    Born 6 May 1975 at Taronga Zoo
    Died at Taronga Zoo 25 March 1996
    Sire: Roy, Dam: Wendy

Wanita (F)
    Born 23 March 1979 at Taronga Zoo
    Sent to Auckland Zoo 6 March 2001
    Sire: Roy, Dam: Wendy

Willow (F)
    Born 9 May 1985 at Taronga Zoo
    Sent to Mogo Zoo 2017
    Sire: Perang, Dam: Wendy

Jantan (M)

Born 11 July 1987 at Taronga Zoo
    Sent to Mogo Zoo 2017
    Sire: Perang, Dam: Judy II

The youngest member of the giraffe herd was Nyota (born January 1992). No breeding had occurred since the last calf was born in June 1992 (and died after three days); and no breeding has occurred since.

Taronga Zoo had recently slimmed down their Common chimpanzee community with the exports of eight chimpanzee in 1992. The alpha male was 11 year old Snowy (arrived 1986).

Juveniles included Shona (aged seven), Gombe (aged five), Lobo (aged five), Mali (aged three), Chunga (aged three) and Kike (aged three); while infants included Kuma (aged two) and Lubutu (14 months).

Koko gave birth the month of your visit to a female infant that died the day it was born; Shiba was heavily pregnant with Shabani and gave birth the following month in September 1994.

Taronga had 1.2 Pygmy hippopotami:

Cleo (F)
    Born at Taronga Zoo 13/06/1968
    Died at Taronga Zoo 07/10/2005
    Sire: Happy; Dam: Sneezy

Katrina (F)
    Born at Taronga Zoo 21/08/1973
    Died at Taronga Zoo 02/02/2012
    Sire: Happy; Dam: Cleo

Timmy (M)
    Born at Honolulu Zoo 29/04/1980
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 15/04/1981
    Sent to Melbourne Zoo 05/07/1995
    Returned to Taronga Zoo 18/09/2007
    Died at Taronga Zoo 10/05/2011

Taronga Zoo had 2.0 Temminck’s golden cat:

Hari (M)
    Born at Melbourne Zoo 24/01/1990
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 10/12/1992
    Sire: Mas; Dam: Cassandra

Nugi (M)
    Born at Melbourne Zoo 01/11/1990
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 10/12/1992
    Sire: Mas; Dam: Cassandra

Ranee (F)
    Born in the wild 1955
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 01/11/1962
    Died at Taronga Zoo 29/11/1998

Herman (M)

Born in the wild 1956
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 01/02/1963
    Sent to Taronga Western Plains Zoo 05/11/2005

Burma (F)
    Born in the wild 1959
    Arrived at Taronga Zoo 21/08/1961
    Sent to Bullens Circus 23/10/1961
    Returned to Taronga Zoo 09/12/1982
    Sent to Taronga Western Plains Zoo 05/11/2005

The Sumatran tigress Selatan (born 1990 at Melbourne Zoo) was in the early stages of pregnancy with twin cubs. The male cub died shortly after birth; the female, Kemiri, was the longest living Sumatran tiger in Australasia when she died in 2017.

Ali - arrived at Taronga Zoo from Rotterdam Zoo in 1979; died at Taronga Zoo in 1996. He was Taronga Zoo’s last Jaguar.

These were Taronga Zoo's first breeding pair - Prafula (M) and Omaha (F). Prafula was born 03/06/1988 at the Chicago Zoo and arrived at Taronga Zoo in September 1990. Omaha was born 27/07/1989 at the Omaha Zoo and arrived at Taronga Zoo September 1990. The pair never bred and retired to Mogo Zoo in September 2003.

Siblings - Bruce and Connie. They formed a breeding pair and produced several chicks including - Inti M (November 2006); Lesley F (Approx 2007); Kondira F (November 2011); Zuleta F (December 2013).

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They still had Prevost's Squirrels as late as 1994? I did not know that.

10. steveroberts

Might have been the Asian Tree Shrew spceies actually, I learned about Prevost's Squirrels being kept there on this forum a few years ago from either you or Hix.

Chlidonias likes this.
  11. steveroberts

Thanks heaps for info, Ranee is the name of the other female Elephant not Renee, cool!

Hey I just saw on the ZooLex' website the plans for the Wild Asia exhibit.. The blueprints suggest they wanted to have Babirusa kept with the Chital Deer. I wonder if importation restrictions prevented TZ from being able to import them.

12. Hix

My observations/comments:

1. The old reptile house consisted of two lengthwise buildings with traditional glass fronted displays, joined together by a large circular turtle tank that also housed Fijian Banded and Crested Iguanas. At the time of your visit there would have been an outdoor seated area and a garden on the site of the long-removed Gorilla enclosure.
    2. Komodos were kept in an outdoor enclosure opposite the reptile house, next to the top kiosk. Next to it was an enclosure with Rhinoceros Iguanas and one with large pool that had Freshwater Crocodiles, next to the path leading to the Alligators.
    3. Not that long-lasting. In the 70’s the ‘gators were held in a pond behind a six foot cyclone mesh fence at the bottom of the zoo near the aquarium (and the Giant Anteater). The area you refer to was a quarry originally when the zoo was built, and the water that collected there was for emergencies (like fires). It wasn’t turned into an exhibit until the early 80’s when they had the entire ‘lake’ and island as their own. There were three at the time, if I remember correctly. After putting in the primate islands the alligators were confined to the small area at the front.
    4. At one stage there were also lovebirds in one of the aviaries.
    5. An older exhibit. Probably a relict of the concrete complex of several enclosures (100% concrete) that once held deer and antelope - and pygmy hippos – that were demolished for the Chimpanzee Park.
    6. Known by the keepers as “The Toilet Block” because of its design similarities, it was a product of the early 90’s. You remember GLT’s but there were also Pygmies, Cottontops and Emperors. I believe it was built around 1991.
    7. A large group of Crab-eaters had been held for many years in one of the monkey pits (which they could escape from on a regular basis. At the time of your visit the zoo held 13, but had another 22 on loan to other facilities. In the late 70’s/early 80’s the pit usually held about 25 animals.
    8. The oryx ended up at WPZ and were replaced by zebras. At different times they all had access to the savannah exhibit. There were six giraffes at the time: the male Charity (whose real name I’ve forgotten), Nyota, Fiona, Hope who was completely blind, and I’m not sure about the others.

9. This enclosure later held the dromedary when Serpentaria was being built.
    10. The enclosure was all rock/concrete but seemed ideal for the Barbary Sheep. In the centre of the exhibit was an enormous Fig Tree that cast a lo0t of shade, but also made cleaning the exhibit a nightmare when the purple fruits fell and got squashed under-hoof. This tree blew down during a storm about 20 years ago. The whole tree was uprooted. The branches were pruned and the sheep enjoyed walking/balancing along the now horizontal branches. Amazingly, the tree shooted and remained alive so it was left in the exhibit.
    11. The sitatunga had originally been in some enclosures (that also held pygmy hippos) next to the old orang/chimp house.
    12. I know Dora the Indian Rhino was in there, but I don’t think black rhinos were ever housed there.

13. The monkey pits. There were 1.3 mandrills at the time, also the Crab-Eaters and half-a dozen or so Debrazzas. In previous years these pits had held Stump-tailed Macaques, Patas Monkeys and Brown Capuchins.
    14. According to the 1994-95 Annual report, it was a Northern Palm Squirrel.
    15. These were down at the bottom of the zoo next to Serena’s Café, beside the Bird Lawns. Not sure about the white swans, but the tree roos and cassos were there, along with an albino echidna called Alby.
    16. The elephants spent their nights in the temple; the keepers would go in to clean it out in the morning and then put their food in for later on – several bales of hay, fruit & vegetables, bread etc. So the public were never allowed inside. Plus, access to the building meant walking in an outdoor area to get to the temple doors, and He-man was known to throw logs and things over the wall if he heard people inside. Once the elephants were moved to WPZ the temple was opened up to the public, and remains so today.
    17. There were a couple of aviaries beside the penguin pool, but they only housed birds. The other side of the penguin pool was the back of the Seal Theatre.

18. Iconic exhibit replaced with large fast food complex.

19. Tahr Mountain was built in 1928 and was one of the oldest exhibits in the zoo. Despite being entirely made of concrete, the tahrs loved it and bred prolifically. The view from the top was spectacular.

20. Prior to Meerkats this enclosure held the Agoutis.
    21. I have a vague recollection of some very boring enclosures with owls, but couldn’t tell you what they were. Zoo Annual Report records Grass, Boobook and Barking Owls, as wella s Powerful, Sooty and Rufous, but no Barn Owl. Some of them may have been in the Nocturnal House, and others may have been injured animals held in the Vet Centre prior to release. Either way, the three enclosures in question were eventually renovated into one large, planted enclosure full of Nicobar Pigeons.

22. The Camel would have probably been Ghan, who had been trained as a youngster and used to be taken on walks through the zoo.
    23. Most likely they up in the tree tops. They were often very hard to see up there, despite their bright colouration.

Hope this helps or is of interest to you.

Hix

steveroberts, Tafin and Chlidonias like this.
  13. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

A male from WPZ with a low libido lived there for a while to have a "holiday" from the females hoping it would spark something when he returned. If I recall right, I think this was immediately before Dora arrived.

14. Zoofan15

Faye (1975) and Twiga (1985) were also at Taronga Zoo until October 1994. Faye was the mother of Ricky (1987), who was sent to Wellington Zoo.

Charity was previously named Dakar. I'd heard about him and assumed he was Taronga bred; but was surprised to learn he was born at Honolulu Zoo in 1983 and transferred to Taronga Zoo the same year.

Charity was a half brother (same mother) as Tsavo (1980-1993), who was sent to Auckland Zoo in 1981. Charity sired nine calves between 1988 and 1992 (including Nyota). He died at Taronga Zoo in 2006.

steveroberts and Tafin like this.
  15. steveroberts

Wow thankyou so much Hix. I always look forward to hearing your replies because I know will be really detailed and interesting. And your memories of Taronga are very much appreciated by all of us on this forum. While I obviously believe that exhibits should be as large as possible for the individual animals and the major Australian zoos have downsized their species numbers to focus on regional breeding programs for a select number I do feel (as an animal fanatic) a flare of excitement when I hear all the amazing species that use to be housed at TZ (and PZ, AZ & MZ too)

* So yes it was Squirrels but the Northern Palm Squirrels, the same species that use to freely roam the grounds of PZ. I remember seeing squirrels (I also remember thinking at the time if they had built the Golden Cat and Fishing Cat enclosures a bit further apart they may have been able to put a third small cat exhibit in the space of the Squirrel enclosure) although I do love Squirrels I think seeing them in the exhibit was underwhelming as I'd just moved from Perth where I had very young memories of seeing Squirrels running around PZ, darting across the paths and back up into the palm trees etc). I said to Zoofan15 that it may have been one of the Asian Tree Shrew species after all but now I think harder there were definitely Squirrels in there in Aug' '94. I couldnt read the signs back then, relied on my Mum to tell me and she would of said 'Shrews' not just made a generic comment like 'oh look Squirrels' just because the Tree Shrews resemble Squirrels to the unknowing eye. I visited the 'Jungle Cats' many times over the next decade. I wouldnt be able to tell you what year exactly but probably not long afterwards there were Tree Shrews in there, which if I remember correctly also had some freely wandering the grounds until they seemed to dissapear, but still saw free roaming Eastern Water Dragons last time I visited in 2015).

Btw do you know if the Fishing Cats arrived at the same time as the Golden Cats (Dec '92?)

*I remember beautiful Dora the Greater One-Horned Rhino from a visit in 2002 (was excited seeing him and the species for first time in my life). I can confirm without a shadow of a doubt that in mid 2006 I saw a Black Rhinoceros in the enclosure (from WPZ or on its way there) and shortly after was gone and the ill-fated Kua the Greater One-Horned Rhino was there (would spend a long time watching her) was really saddened by her unfortunate death. That 2006 period was the most exciting time in my opinion for that 'African Waterhole' area, as all within the same path area was Bongo/s, Indian Rhinoceros/Black Rhinoceros, a Pygmy Hippo and a Brazilian Tapir (in what was before that the second Pygmy Hippo enclosure). It made sense in 2015 to see the Fennec Foxes and Meerkats had been moved up there in place of where the Pygmy Hippoes and for a brief time the Brazilian Tapir had been in terms of making the regional affect tie together.

* Wow so the Alligators were at the bottom of the zoo back in the 70s, there was a Giant Anteater at TZ back then, awesome! another amazing species once held by the zoo.
    It seems unfair to go from giving the 'Gators run of the whole former quarry site only to halve their roaming space to put Squirrel Monkeys and Cotton Top Tamarins on the 'island' when there was other spaces at the zoo they could have been kept. I know the idea was the 'Amazonia' themed exhibit which from memory came about around the year 2000 but I just hate when an animals exhibit is made smaller rathern than bigger. I remember reading somewheew on this site (might have been the first page of this thread) that the Alligators have lived very very long. Like they came in the late 1940s or something like that?

* Now that I think about it I do remember the Rhinoceros Iguanas next to the Komodo Dragon/s. We must have bypassed the Freshwater Crocodiles to go see the Alligators. I remember for a couple of years after 'Serpentaria' opened the old Komodo Dragon enclosure remained as the home of a female Komodo Dragon (never heard her name) as Tuka was too rough with her or something. I remember too maybe it was '95 or '96 there was a glass exhibit you could walk around in that area for the Rhinoceros Iguanas and at one stage a couple of Koalas. I also remember roughly where you mentioned the Freshwater Crocs were once kept there was a Tasmanian Devil exhibit that didnt last very long (I think Wombats were there later). But the Tas Devils didnt move far they went to that (in my opinion a well designed) exhibit next door to the Dingoes on the path behind the area mentioned abouve.

* In your opinion do you think the darkened enclosure between Seletan & Shivas and Chester's enclosures was a bit small for Clouded Leopards? it always just seemed so small. When it later held an Indian Crested Porcupine it felt maybe a bit more size appropriate but yeah just seemed a bit cramped for a Clouded Leopard.

16. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2 alligators (1.1) from Taronga moved to Hunter Valley Zoo after the zoo closed their exhibit. The female (nicknamed Taronga) past away a few years ago but the male (called Igon, because his eye is gone) is still alive to this day.

steveroberts likes this.
  17. Hix

Dakar, of course! I would have remembered it at some point (just not late at night!)

And Faye and Twiga are correct too. I knew there was another female starting with 'F' but all I could remember was Faith (who didn't live long). Dakar was renamed Charity to make up the trio of Faith, Hope and Charity. I always thought Dakar was a better name for him. A nice stately giraffe, a bit more aloof than the others. And a well-calcified skull.

Thanks for that.

Hix

Zoofan15 likes this.
  18. Hix

The Cats of Asia (or whatever it was called) was built on the site of the old Big Cats cages where only a few years before Keeper Victoria Scrivener was mauled by Sumatran Tigers Meta & Nico. The new cages for the smaller cats incorporated much of the structure (i.e. walls) of the original building, so the enclosures couldn't have been moved further apart. And tree shrews were kept in the squirrel cage after the squirrel was gone.

And the Eastern Water Dragons aren't free ranging, their wild animals that occur naturally in the zoo and surrounding bushlands.

No, I don't know. I imagine they arrived at a similar time, but not necessarily together.

Yes, the enclosures were renovated for wombats, an adult female named Walcha and young nightmare of a male named Wallace. He lived in the enclosure previously holding the Crocs (and Mexican Mud Turtles). Obviously, the deep pool had been filled in. The wooden enclosure the Devils ended up in was built in the early 80's for numbats, and it has also held Small-clawed Otters and Water Rats at different times.

Bigger is always better, but the enclosure was not too small or cramped for a single Clouded Leopard. I've certainly seen worse. It may have appeared smaller than it was because it was sandwiched between two much larger enclosures (for much larger cats). The cage was also quite tall, and with the artificial tree gave the leopards a lot of vertical space. And normally only one cat was in the enclosure at a time.

Hix

steveroberts and Tafin like this.
  19. Zoofan15

No worries. Virtue names appear to have been common in zoo animals around that time. There was also a Faith and a Hope in Auckland Zoo’s hippopotami herd, but they lacked a Charity.

I’d have to check over the records; but from memory, Taronga Zoo had more than one adult bull giraffe at times. Do you know if a bachelor herd was kept in a seperate exhibit; or if they all mingled freely with the females?

Most accounts of this incident imply Nico and Meta were kept together (as it was either unclear which tiger attacked her; or both). Do you know if this was the case?

Tafin likes this.
  20. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not as familiar with Taronga compared to some other zoos in Australia but I do recall seeing some species circa ~1986, which are now long gone:
    Reptiles: Spectacled caiman, Chinese softshell turtle, leopard gecko and a milk snake (possibly Honduran)
    Mammals: Singing dog, Racoon dog (both housed near the condor aviary)

Also never saw the aquarium but once housed a group of confiscated red-bellied piranha.