Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Recent history of Taronga and developments etc

Discussion in 'Australia' started by hodgey, 13 Sep 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands Premium Member

According to the inventory, by 1st July 1994 the zoo already held 0.1 Fishing Cat and 2.0 Golden Cats. No mention is made anywhere about their exhibit.

:p

Hix

2. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member

Those Dingoes were beautifal, am glad based from the report to see they lived past 13-14 years

3. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member

Just found out that the 'Jungle Cats' exhibit officially opened on the 8th April, 1993. If I remember correctly for a couple of years there still was at least one Fishing Cat in the westernmost enclosure even after the other Fishing Cat(s) had taken up their new residence in 'Wild Asia' in mid 2005. As I learned on this site the last Golden Cat Mao left TZ in July 2008 for NZ so I wondered if perhaps this was also the time when the last Fishing Cat moved on from the exhibit too (to the 'Wild Asia' precinct) in order for the renovations to start on the Tasmanian Devil habitat.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

I have a question relating to the former Galapagos tortoise group at Taronga Zoo.
    They once held 4.5 individuals with 3.3 imported from Honolulu Zoo and 1.2 from their elder group.

Originally, TZ elder tortoises are actually from the infamous Townsend US import from the Galapagos Islands in 1928. TZ received 6 young tortoises. They were invariably cited to be Chelonoidis vicina and Chelonoidis guentheri (the latter more recent when at 2.2 left from the original import).

Now 2 queries I have:
    A) When did the group disperse to Dubbo Zoo (the easy part or might have split to other zoos too) and how many?
    B) Any further information on the original group 6 Townsend Galapagos?
    (sex, age, names .... or any other anecdotes welcome)

Jambo, steveroberts and Zorro like this.
  5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

I first visited there a few months after it opened in 1977 and from what I can remember there were about 8 or 9 giant tortoise there at that time I believe they were adults from what I can remember I do have some pics of them!

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands Premium Member

Renovations started in December 2009.

:p

Hix