Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Recent visit + rhino question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by chizlit, 27 Sep 2009.

Tags:
  1. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

Went to CWP today for the first time in ages Had a lovely day.
    A few thoughts, seems a shame for the oryx and llamas who are in paddocks by the entrance, everybody drives past them without looking at them. Once I parked I walked back and looked at them although because the paddocks are large it's hard to get a close look.
    The rhino question is this, why can't the 2 rhinos be out at the same time?I was lucky enough to see then get swapped around (one gets to be outside in the morning , then the other in the afternoon), but surely they can't keep doing this on a long term basis?:confused:

I really thought the peccary / wolf area was amazing, very good use of the landscape. It looked to me as if a new area is being made ready next to the peccaries, anyone know what is going in there, or is it just an extention for the peccaries?
    I don't seem to have luck with tapirs, last week at Tywcross the tapir wasn't on show, and this week at CWP, guess what , it was another no show! Good job I can rely on Dudley's to be on view (although they are usually sleeping in their hut!).

I will have to return sometime when the giraffe and wolverine areas are up and running.

Just on thought, with such a big area in the rhino / zebra paddock would it be possible to put something else in there too like wildebeast which isn't seen often in the UK?

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rhino's are both male. One is quite elderey (Bull) and the 2nd (Monty) is only 3. Bull tolerates Monty but doesn't really get on with him. 2 females should be arriving before the end of this year from South Africa.

3. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

OK thanks, knew there would be a simple explanation, but you know what my next question will be... what happens when the two 'ladies' arrive?

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for white rhino calves!!!

But we can all dream........

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Thats a good question,lets just hope the 2 females get on well,other wise they may have a housing problem,unless they move 1 of the Bulls on.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Just posted something similar in the Gallery but the large peccary paddock has been in use by the group previously - there must be some maintenance or adjustments required for there to be works going on!

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is a large paddock for the Peccaries- it connects with their smaller paddock and house via gates under the walkway. It was being levelled or cleared with a tractor towing a harrow- type thing.

I agree the Rhino/zebra paddock would benefit from another species, even two perhaps.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2009
  8. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

I hear Thomson's Gazelles were in there many moons ago?

9. Colchester-dude

Colchester-dude Active Member

error.........

Last edited: 29 Sep 2009
  10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can't see this happening has Monty as only been there since April. Bull would probably be the one to go if this had to happen.

11. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i think the new area by the perrcurys is for the vissyian warty pigs, wildbeast can be seen in west midlands Sp and Port lympne WAP,

Thompsons gazelle were kept in there years ago marwell dalek

12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The warty pigs are in the original peccary area up near the tapirs. The peccaries are now right down near the wolves (and have two paddocks).

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

If they cannot keep the 2 females together than they have a problem as they only have 3 stalls inside the house,unless they can get a female in with each male,realy the house from what I have seen cannot cope with much more than 1.2 and any young they have!

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They should certainly be able to do that. I think an antelope species should be possible too.