Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Red Panda

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lifeastrin, 12 May 2009.

Tags:
  1. lifeastrin

lifeastrin New Member

Hello Everyone. We went to the Zoo today. We'd adopted a Red Panda for Valentine's as my husband loves them. Junji Bristol's red panda hasn't been in his enclosure for weeks. I'd asked once and they said he was in isolation after getting a parasite from a local fox. They were adjusting his enclosure so foxes couldn't get in. Well today he was still missing so I asked a keeper. Sadly she said Junji died a few months back . We were really upset. Is it common in zoos not to tell people if they die?:(

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Most zoos don't release much news (good or bad) anyway. I think deaths are only publicised if the national press get hold of it or it was a "famous" animal.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They should notify you if you've paid an adoption fee- or maybe offer to transfer it to another animal of your choice? I'm sure they would if you contacted them.

4. foz

foz Well-Known Member

when my adoptive animal at newquay was moved i was told quite quickly and offered a transfer to another animal. except for the larger more popular animals (elephants, tiger etc) zoos dont tend to report deaths with some exceptions

5. lifeastrin

lifeastrin New Member

They only had one red panda and he was terribly popular. Little rascal though, as soon as you got a camera out he scarpered. He seemed to know the score! I emailed the Zoo today and just said we were sad that as he was an adopted pet we hadn't been told. I know animals die. I am a staff Nurse. It's just life, but the note on his enclosure says 'This enclosure is empty due to refurbishment' I don't think it's right really.

6. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Aww thats awful! What a horrible way to find out, and horrible for the panda if it was a result of a fox getting in.

I hope the zoo does something to make up for it, especially as it was a valentines gift.

Oh and welcome to zoochat :)

7. KateA

KateA Active Member

Hi,

Not sure about the fox story, hadn't heard that one, but Jinjie was taken out of his enclosure in mid march for treatment for lung worm. He wasn't taking the food with the treatment in so was taken off show to ensure he got it. The enclosure's soil was dug out and replaced, I believe to prevent him being reinfected with lungworm, so those are the reasons the enclosure was empty. He died on the 5th April and the post mortem showed that the lung worm had been cleared but had unfortunately left him with chronic damage to his lungs which is what actually killed him. I believe we are probably waiting on the studbook keepers decision on getting new pandas in, but am not involved in any of the animal adoption work is so don't know what the policy is on informing people if their adopted animal dies.

Kate

8. lifeastrin

lifeastrin New Member

Thanks Kate
    It was probably a zoo volunteer that told us the fox story though he looked official with the green uniform. Thanks for the information though. He was such a little character. It's amazing how attached you get to the animals when you visit frequently. BTW the new Lorikeet enclosure is really lovely.
    We aren't worried about the adoption thing, we just wanted to know what happened.
    Debby x

9. Dartboy

Dartboy Active Member

When wendy died it was all over the papers, tele, radio. but she was the most well known animal for 40yrs

10. lifeastrin

lifeastrin New Member

Bristol has a new Red Panda. A female. Don't know her name yet but she's lovely, active and very beautiful. I hope they find her a mate. Baby red pandas would be amazing.

11. Red Panda

Red Panda Well-Known Member

Hi

I know that this is a bit late, but I went to Bristol Zoo last August and luckily the red panda replacement was out and about enjoying her enclosure. Got some great shots of her and so happy. I loved Bristol Zoo! The red pandas name is Jasmina and she is beautiful :)