Join our zoo community

Red River Zoo Red River Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 20 Aug 2014.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

I just uploaded approximately 50 photos of this zoo in the gallery.

Here is my mini-review from my recent 20 day/65 zoo trip:

The zoo only opened in 1999 and so 15 years later everything feels fresh and clean, with modern animal habitats and nicely manicured lawns. After a glass-fronted exhibit in the entrance building (white-faced saki, six-banded armadillo, two-toed sloth) the rest of the zoo specializes in cold-weather creatures and is neatly divided into North American and Asian sections. North America has these species: Grey Wolf (huge exhibit), River Otter (brand new), Grey Fox, Black-Tailed Prairie Dog, Golden and Bald Eagles (in a gorgeous open-fronted aviary), Mule Deer, White-Tailed Deer and Porcupine. “Scales and Tails” is a small Reptile House with about 20 species including an albino Tiger Salamander and an albino Alligator Snapping Turtle. The Asian zone is very impressive and has the following species: Red Panda (the zoo has bred at least a dozen in the past decade or so), Bactrian Camel, Reeve’s Muntjac, a walk-through aviary, Brown-Eared Pheasant, Russian Red Squirrel, Pallas’ Cat, White-Naped Crane and Sichuan Takin. There are only about 16 outdoor exhibits in total plus about 20 indoor terrariums but everything is new, top-notch and hugely impressive. A great little gem of a zoo but one that can be seen in a flash. I’d love to see them add Amur Tigers, Amur Leopards or Snow Leopards to fit the Asian theme and provide visitors with a big cat to see. In the next few months the zoo is opening a so-called “Baviary”, which is a large building that will have birds, bats and small animals.

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member

3. Milwaukee Man

4. Milwaukee Man

5. Milwaukee Man

Kifaru Bwana and drill like this.
  6. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member

This Viking Wilderness exhibit sounds great, particularly the walrus exhibit. Hopefully they'll participate in breeding programs for the species. To my knowledge, the quality of the genetics of American zoo walruses is less than stellar.

Also, they're really planing on golden snub-nosed monkeys? That would make them the first zoo in America to exhibit these monkeys. Hopefully, this plan turn out like Los Angeles' plans to acquire them...