Join our zoo community

Rediscovery of the Somali sengi

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by gentle lemur, 18 Aug 2020.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@gentle lemur thank you for sharing this article with us. This is good news. What is the plausibility of creating a captive breeding program for this species?

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's no need to. The surveys they have conducted so far have found the species has a relativity wide range throughout Djibouti, Somalia, and possibly Ethiopia. They have suggested to the IUCN to classify it as Least Concern.

4. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Ah thank you for the clarification. This makes sense. They would still be cool to see and photograph in zoos.

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Some nice good news. Does anyone know what Sengi species are in zoos? I've seen one of the small grey varieties in Berlin and I recall reading a while back some of the giant black & rufous are/were in a couple of US zoos like Philadelphia....

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I know of three, all of which are in European collections:

Black-and-rufous Giant Sengi (Rhynchocyon petersi) - held in about 7 European collections and perhaps the same number of US collections.

Round-eared Sengi (Macroscelides proboscideus) - held in about 50 European collections, and also not uncommon in private hands. Not sure if they are present in US collections however.

Rufous Sengi (Elephantulus rufescens) - limited to one European collection (Cologne) but present in private hands, and breeding at a low level.

A fourth species - Checkered Giant Sengi (Rhynchocyon cirnei) died out in European collections a few years ago, but *might* conceivably still be around in private hands. I know a few of the smaller species were around in private hands as of a few years ago, too.

8. SpinyLiving

SpinyLiving Well-Known Member

How does a species thought to be extinct suddenly reappear in large numbers? :confused:

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Because travelling / doing research in that area is not exactly easy....

10. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch for the info Dave. Thats a shame the checkered's have disappeared. I particularly like the giant Rhynchocyon species. I did not know people kept them privately in Europe.