Join our zoo community

Reeves muntjacs as pets

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by ungulate nerd, 18 Aug 2012.

1. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

Hello my real name is indigo, i am 20 years old and i plan on getting a reeves muntjac as a pet, i hear they make great pets and are very loyal and affectionate, has anybody ever worked with muntjacs and if so what is your opinion on muntjacs as pets, here are some interesting videos

and here is an interesting article below

Muntjac Deer Info, Leaf Muntjac Deer, Muntiacus puntoensis

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

That's interesting...I never would have thought as them as good pets.

3. ungulate nerd

I have heard from a majority of my sources that they make GREAT pets, but only 2 sources have mentioned that they are skittish and timid. You know what they say, majority rules, so in that regard i am going to believe the positive opinion about reeves muntjacs as pets

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that they might be illegal to keep as pets in California. You might want to check that out before you try and buy one.

5. ungulate nerd

thats what i heard, but i am actually getting a permit and starting an animal education outreach program were i go to schools, libraries, community centers etc. i am only 20 years old and some may not think i have no experiance because of my young age but i have volenteered at the santa ana zoo since i was 9 years old, and i believe that i can do this

BenFoxster likes this.
  6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That sounds excellent ungulate nerd. The world needs all of the wildlife educators that it can get. I believe that you can do this too. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

7. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

Way too go my man ungulate nerd!!!! One day this guy will open his zoo and it will be amazing!!!

BenFoxster likes this.
  8. ungulate nerd

Thanks man !!!, i appreciate your support !!!

9. ungulate nerd

thanks DavidBrown i am glad you believe in me, i am glad to know that i am going in the right direction toward my career path, you and jusko 88 made my day

10. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

The Reeve's Muntjac (muntiacus reevesi) can make a good exotic pet for experienced owners. With any pet that is not domesticated, you must spend a large amount of your time with it if you wish it to be "tamer." I have always wanted one myself but don't honestly have the time. Thats why I stick to the smaller exotics, ones that don't necessarily need to be "tamed." If you wish to have one as a non-domestic pet, I have herd females are easier than males. Males can be aggressive especially in breeding season if you leave them fertile. I would recommend leaving all exotics fertile.

I have also herd that they can be skittish. This would make sense as their instincts tell them that everyone wants to eat me. This again would be a problem with taming. Animals that are naturally at the bottom of the food chain are very nervous in general and make it harder to tame.

If you are willing, I would recommend contacting a small zoo that exhibits them about their care. You could also just call up a game ranch as well. I'm sure the care is similar and I don't believe I've read to much about muntjac being a sensitive animal either.

If your experienced than I saw go for it. Just make sure you give the best care to your ability and spend lots of time with your new deer.

Good luck!

11. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

My cousins have two white-tailed deer as pets (they were found abandon in the wild). They have a deer breeder license (They plan on breeding the deer) and the deer stay outdoors all year long in an exhibit that has 10 foot chain link fence all around. I know that when they were babies they were fed goat milk and would walk around licking people like dogs (they raised the deer with there many dogs). I know after the male matured they did not go in the exhibit with the deer during breeding season because he was very aggresive during that time. The deer escaped once but my cousins went outside and called the deer and the deer came back.

BenFoxster likes this.
  12. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They would probably be like fallow. With Fallow females make good pets, but a male will kill you in the rut. I have raised 4 female fallow and put them back with the mob when they are adults. Even in the paddock most pets will come out of the mob to see you, but some do not remain as tame as others.
    [​IMG]

13. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ten foot? You sure about that?

14. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

Yes I have seen the exhibit for the deer many times.

15. ungulate nerd

I have heard fallow deer were very docile, even males, i even heard that you do not need too high of a fence to keep fallow deer in, ive worked with fallow deer, they are very sweet animals, because they are browsers, they will chew at your t-shirt, ive only worked with female fallow deer though

16. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tame males my be docile out of the rut, but I would never have a tame one as they will be a liability the other 6 months of the year. A 5 foot fence is high enough for most, but a very agitated wild one will need a 6 foot fence. If they are relatively quiet and never learnt to jump they will not even try and jump a 4 foot fence.

17. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello
    For what it's worth, I once read some where that if a dear fence is made up of upright poles of different heights the dear won't attempt to leap over, they like level or even surfaces to clear safely.
    Here in England Muntjac that escaped from Woburn Abbey many years ago are causing a lot of damage to gardens and native flora, I see wild ones from time to time in some of my clients gardens, they aren't particularly skittish they just saunter off. Unless they see a dog then they move
    Dean

18. ungulate nerd

They can get along with dogs, if you introduce them slowly

19. ungulate nerd

This is off topic, but appearnetly you can have Gunthers dik diks also here is a link that lists them for sale, and tells you how to care for them Dikdik

20. leigh catherick

leigh catherick Well-Known Member

hi all i have a pair of muntjac deer here in a enclosure and they are very steady the female if we are slow we can sit and stroke her the male is a bit more timid but they are fantastic little things to keep , they love chopped apple and carrots also apple branches , hawthorn, ivy, and course goat mix , i would advise anyone with the correct set up to keep them like most things they like there privacy during the day lot more active late after noon , i would keep more if i could find them for sale,