Join our zoo community

Regions in the Netherlands lacking zoos

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Anubite, 23 Jul 2018.

Tags:
  1. Anubite

Anubite Well-Known Member

Hi there,

As I am doing some research on zoos in our small country, I was wondering if theres regions in our country that are lacking zoos. This could include public aquaria.

When typing "Zoos in the Netherlands" on Google it only shows the bigger zoos, so maybe the users of ZooChat would know if theres actual regions (for example the region of Doetinchem and Winterswijk) that are lacking zoos.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member

Zoosite does have a map with all the official zoos:
    Zoosite Dierentuinkaart Nederland

The only big area without a real zoo is the Achterhoek and Overijssel, though there are zoos like Nordhorn and Anholter Schweiz just across the border, which cater for these regions. Apenheul, Wildlands or Burgers' Zoo are also within 1 hour drive of those people....

3. Anubite

oh wow never even knew about that website. Thank you!
    Do you think the Achterhoek could use a real zoo or would they go to Nordhorn, Schweiz, Duisburg?

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Nordhorn gets a fair amount of Dutch visitors atleast it did the day I visited,also worth noting it used to do a guidebook in said language.

5. Anubite

right! Good to know. Thank you. Time to continue planning

6. Haasje

Haasje Well-Known Member

In my graduation thesis, I found that the Netherlands has a very high density of large zoos, compared to other European nations. So I wouldn't say any area is really lacking a zoo. If we consider a travel time radius of about one hour.

When researching for region's that are potentially lacking zoos I would consider. The local population and tourist population in such area's rather and geographic isolation. The Hague (Haaglanden) and Twente are then possible to interesting sites to consider. As being larger agglomerations in the Netherlands without a significant zoo.