Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo News 2009-2012

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 15 Feb 2009.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tamandua born at the zoo (only U.S. tamandua birth for 2011).

We are acquiring another one to create a second breeding pair and are modifying an off-exhibit breeding area that formerly held hyacinth macaws (recently shipped out to Sedgwick County Zoo). Since we have had success (this is not our first birth) and only one other U.S. zoo is breeding tamanduas, we are going with it and becoming a tamandua breeding center.

Baby anteater born at Tucson's Reid Park Zoo

2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Didn't know tamandua births are so rare in the USA? I believe just about every facility that holds a pair in europe manages to breed them...?

3. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's great news about the tamandua baby!

4. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, very cool! But, what's the other U.S. zoo that's breeding tamanduas?

5. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Sedgwick County Zoo in Witchita, Kansas is the other breeding facility I'm fairly sure

6. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

My guess is there is a lot of Tamandua breeding in private hands.

7. Arizona Docent

Updates - Tuesday, September 20, 2011.

Female malayan tiger, named Sita, has been on exhibit for about a week now (I saw her today, beautiful girl). Exhibit had a divider added so male and female (and any future cubs) can be out at the same time. She came a few months ago from Bronx Zoo as an SSP breeding recommendation.

Three lion cubs are being allowed access (with mom) to main exhibit before hours starting today. I was fortunate to be there - see gallery for pics. They will be allowed out before the public enters for a week. One week from today, Tuesday the 27th, the members can pay extra to come before the zoo opens for a sneak preview which includes breakfast and a talk by our vet. After that (starting Wednesday the 28th if all is going well - subject to change) they will be out for the public to enjoy. Their names are Azizi (female), Ayotunde (male), Abuto (male).

A female baird's tapir has arrived and is currently in quarantine. Also a breeding recommendation for our male.

8. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Hi AZDocent, I've been looking through this thread getting caught up on Reid Park Zoo news and have a few questions.

1. Is there an opening date projected for the ele exhibit yet or is it still open ended? Is construction going well?
    2. Any word on when/if you will be getting a new male giraffe?
    3. Have you had any chances to photograph the baby tamandua and if so can you post some photos? I would be very interested to see the growth cycle of this animal.
    4. I was curious what kind of exhibit that you would like to see developed in the footprint of the old elephant exhibit? As someone who obviously knows the Reid Park Zoo well what kind of animals and/or exhibit experience do you think would best enhance the zoo?

9. Arizona Docent

In response to the queries posted above:

1) The Expedition Tanzania construction is on schedule for its projected completion date of January 2012. Then we have to move the elephants in (from San Diego Safari Park), move our current african over there, introduce her to the others after the mandatory 30 day quarantine, etc. The public opening date is not yet determined, but I have heard they would like to shoot for March 2012. April could also be a possibility.

2) We will not seek a new male giraffe until we know if our youngest female, Eleanor, is pregnant or not. There is a chance she was impregnated by the late male Watoto. If so, we would not seek a new male until the baby has moved to another zoo.

3) I have not seen the baby tamandua and do not know if I will get a chance any time soon. It is kept in an off-exhibit area that docents usually do not have access to.

4) What will become of the old elephant exhibit is a big question mark. (You asked what I would like, well I would like a small cat center, but I know that is one thing it will NOT become). The original master plan called for that to be an Australia area, which it may or may not become as the master plan is getting old and there is talk of coming up with a new one. The effort to raise the funds for the new elephant expansion was so all encompassing that no one has really had the time (and certainly not the money) to think about what to do there. I am sure decisions will be made once the new exhibit opens next year. I know one senior staff member wants it to become some kind of indoor exhibit so people can get inside during the hot summers. However, indoor exhibits are likely more expensive, so we will see if that is feasible or not.

10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the information Arizona Docent. Whatever replaces the old elephant exhibit I hope that it includes some small cat species.

11. Arizona Docent

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

13. Arizona Docent

Wow, I had to find out about our own polar bear from someone in another country! Of course I knew she was coming some time, but I just got back from Texas last night so I have not heard any Reid Park news this last week.

14. Arizona Docent

Our longtime asian elephant Connie and african elephant Shaba are now in quarantine at the San Diego Zoo. Here is a video the zoo has posted on Youtube of them in their new home.

As reported on the separate thread for Expedition Tanzania (Reid Park's new elephant exhibit), the grand opening will be March 28 with members allowed an early peek March 25-27.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  15. Arizona Docent

Rhino yard (which includes spekes gazelle and marabou stork and kori bustard) has the temporary divider removed and is back to its original size. The far end, next to the new walkway to new elephant area, has been redone with a gentle slope and a nice imitation mud wall. Three male spekes gazelles are in quarantine and will join the single male spekes in this yard in a couple weeks.

New elephant exhibit, Expedition Tanzania, opens to members March 25-27 and to the general public March 28. All five elephants from San Diego Safari Park are currently utilizing the exhibit.

On April 21, the senior scientist for Polar Bears International will be giving a lecture at the zoo. There is a $15 registration fee (unless you are a member of the donor group FriendZ). Here is the link:
    Snow in Tucson! - Reid Park Zoo, Tucson, AZ

16. Arizona Docent

The dates are set for this year's Friday Nights. Zoo will reopen from 5pm to 8pm every Friday from May 18 to July 6. The reason we do not extend it into late July and August is that is the monsoon season here and there is about a 50/50 chance that any given Friday would be rained out.

17. Arizona Docent

The pool in the new elephant exhibit has now been filled and the elephants have discovered it. Here is a link on the zoo website to a video showing all five in the pool at once! I was there this morning and saw the bull (Mabu) enter the pool - the first time I have personally seen any of them in there. I will post photos in a day or two, but here is the video link.

Elephants go swimming 5-2-12 - Reid Park Zoo, Tucson, AZ

18. Arizona Docent

Summer hours start tomorrow, June 1st. 8am-3pm.

19. Arizona Docent

20. Arizona Docent