Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 18 Jan 2017.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Although we have known for a while about pygmy hippos in future plans, this is the first mention I have heard of a larger tiger habitat. I really, really want to see that happen! However, as the article states, a sales tax increase is always a tough sell to the public.

4. GraysonDP

How good are the lion, tiger, zebra and giraffe exhibits that currently stand? We know the elephant and rhino ones are superb

5. Arizona Docent

The tiger exhibit as it stood for about two decades was good, but not outstanding. However a few years ago a fence was erected to cut it in half, which ruined it IMO. The giraffe exhibit is pretty good for an urban zoo (but again not outstanding). Likewise for the zebra exhibit. The lion exhibit is too small (and recently had some ugly platforms added).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Arizona Docent

The article and announcement about the intent to ask for a sales tax increase was published last Wednesday. The article says they were meeting with the mayor on Friday (two days ago) and that he was going to discourage them from proceeding. Today (Sunday) I got an email from the zoological society asking for volunteers to help collect signatures to get it on the ballot. So apparently it is full steam ahead, in spite of any misgivings the city may have.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. It certainly worked well for Fresno and there are many parallels. Off the top of my head (without actually looking up stats) I believe both cities are about the same size - roughly one million in greater metro. Both zoos are medium-small but located in a central city park with lots of the big popular animals. Fresno's director is even the former curator from Reid Park. As far as support from the local population, my intuition is that Reid Park actually has a stronger support base than Fresno Chaffee (just a hunch). I am sure they will get enough signatures to get it on the ballot - they could do that just from zoo visitors. Whether it will actually pass is another matter, but we can hope...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@AD, Thanks, I had a bit the feeling that the City Mayor was rather citing a politically convenient opinion from his own perspective rather than one that metro Tucson folks would like to hear. I am sure it might get onto a ballot soon (since it can easily be rationalised the zoo inhabitants and their accomodations are long overdue a make-over. They may even use the example of Fresno's Chaffee Zoo to demonstrate what a difference a small ballot tax may do for home improvements and visitor numbers and overall appreciation of the zoo as a tourist and educational facility worthy of public support from the local Council / Municipality.

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The link below contains a wealth of information about the Fresno Chaffee Zoo "Measure Z" sales tax, including the fact that 73% of voters approved the tax in 2004 and then 71% of voters approved the tax in 2014. The zoo received $102 million in funding during this decade-long period:

Fresno County Fresno Chaffee Zoo Sales Tax, Measure Z (November 2014) - Ballotpedia

10. Arizona Docent

Wow, what Tucson could do with a hundred million dollars! With that much money, would we have to move the entire zoo to a larger location? Or perhaps open a satellite facility (which they tried to do with the ranch a few years ago but could not get funding to use the donated land)?

11. Arizona Docent

According to zoo FB page, the meerkats are now on exhibit.

12. GraysonDP

13. GraysonDP

14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Arizona Docent and GraysonDP like this.
  15. Arizona Docent

The 2017 summer night openings are set. It will be every Friday from May 19 through August 4, 6-8pm.

16. Arizona Docent

I have not heard any recent news on the sales tax initiative, but the zoological society has created a dedicated website for it here: Reid Park Zoo Needs You

The larger half percent sales tax increase the city is pushing for street repair is going on now. Most of us already mailed in our ballots but the deadline is May 16, 2017: PROP 101 - Special Election on May 16, 2017

It will be interesting to see if that passes next week and what, if any, effect it will have on the zoo vote in November.

17. Arizona Docent

Well the city sales tax vote (NOT the upcoming zoo tax) for road and fire dept improvements passed comfortably. It was not a landslide at roughly 62 percent in favor, but it was a comfortable margin. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...7/tucson-residents-vote-in-sales-tax-increase

So the big question is, will voters be this generous in November when it comes to a much smaller sales tax increase for the zoo? (Assuming the zoo gets enough signatures to get it on the ballot, which I am sure they will).

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Arizona Docent

20. Arizona Docent

If anyone is interested, here is the official filing of the zoo tax proposal with the city: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/clerks/2017-I001.pdf

If you don't want to read the whole thing, here is the excerpt that will be of interest to ZooChat members: "...new species...includes a pygmy hippo habitat, a new, larger tiger habitat, and a tropical discovery center featuring reptiles, amphibians, small mammals, and fish..."

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.