Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 23 Feb 2018.

1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Arizona Docent and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The former camel ride area, which is the former elephant exhibit, is now an exhibit for domestic goats. The brief article says there will be an interactive experience where guests can brush and touch the goats with staff supervision, but no details are given. I have a very strong hunch this will be an activity that costs extra.
    A New Herd Has Moved In!, Reid Park Zoo

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is this the area that will eventually become the hippo and crocodile exhibit, or is that plan no longer happening?

6. Arizona Docent

Yes I believe this is where the new African Lodge will go, that includes pygmy hippo (and maybe dwarf croc, not sure about that).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Arizona Docent

I should also add (regarding new Africa Lodge) that the latest member magazine says funds from the new tax initiative will start becoming available to the zoo beginning July 2018. I have no idea what the initial amounts will be or how long it will be before a new project starts taking place. In fact I don't even know which project will be first (a smaller one like the marmosets or a big one like the African Lodge).

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  8. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Arizona Docent

San Diego Zoo has assisted Reid Park Zoo with filming to bring their closed circuit channel for chilren's hospitals to Tucson. Facebook post shows San Diego ambassador narrating scenes at Reid Park Zoo. Channel will be shown at Tucson Medical Center and at Ronald McDonald House (southern Arizona).

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Arizona Docent

As of July 1, 2018, the zoo is now privately run by the zoological society and no longer part of the city parks and recreation department.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Is this a good thing or not?

12. Arizona Docent

In my opinion it is a very good thing.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Please elaborate!

14. Arizona Docent

Many USA zoos have made the switch in the last decade or two and from what I understand it has been a positive move in almost every case. It allows them to attract more large donors who are hesitant to donate to a zoo that is controlled by a government agency. It allows them to proceed with expansion plans without the extra step of getting the city council to vote on it and approve it. It prevents council members from forcing animal decisions based on political motives, even though they have little or no animal knowledge. A recent example is the Toronto city council forcing the zoo to send their elephants to a sanctuary instead of to another AZA zoo as the zoo staff recommended. This resulted in the Toronto Zoo temporarily losing their AZA accreditation. Another recent example is the Oregon Zoo council firing their long-time and respected head veterinarian over an allegation they did not fully investigate or understand. Thankfully he was reinstated after pressure from zoo staff.

15. Arizona Docent

What’s Happening at Your Zoo, Reid Park Zoo

Here it is: the new master plan revealed! It is made possible by the new sales tax that went into effect this year. I must admit this looks exciting, considering how the zoo has gone downhill in the last few years (in my opinion, of course).

A surprise is that the much touted African safari lodge is being pushed back to phase two (even though there is already a banner promoting it on zoo grounds). Phase three will be a redo of the current South America. No dates given for these phases, though it is a "ten year master plan" so I assume they are aiming for 2028.

Phase one - a very nice surprise - is scheduled for 2022 and is a new Asia area. This will be on new ground for the zoo, taking over land that is currently part of the surrounding park. It will be to the west of the current fence line (South America) and will parallel South America, starting at the large park lake on the north and ending on the south adjacent to the Conservation Learning Center. The link shows this on a map so those of you who have been to the zoo should be able to visualize it.

More surprises for phase one - a reptile house and Komodo dragon exhibit. The zoo has never had a reptile house and currently has exactly one snake species and one lizard species on exhibit (not counting education animals). This will be sorely needed, though of course Yours Truly is much more interested in the new tiger exhibit.

Also interesting that phase three - South America - will feature "small animal habitats throughout." The zoo is also sorely lacking on small animals and I wonder what these will be? Please let one of them be a small cat!

Phase two - Africa - will also feature wild dogs, the first I have heard of this. (Black-footed cats would be better, but wild dogs are cool too).

16. Arizona Docent

The image of Asia map on screen is a bit small to make out the words of the animals clearly. I enlarged it on my computer and could make out all but one word. Here are the exhibits shown (please note text next to map says tiger hill and there is a small existing hill in that part of the park).

temple complex
    sophicet? (unable to make out - maybe lorikeet?)
    bats
    reptile
    komodo (they left out the word dragon)
    tiger
    pheasantry (two different spots)
    aviary
    siamang
    otter/gibbon
    asia pavillion "seats 200"

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Do these maps cover all of the exhibit areas? It looks like parts of the zoo are missing.

I also cannot read a lot of the other two maps even when I zoom in close; wish they had expandable versions.

Also the wording to the right of "bats" is indeed "lorikeets".

Arizona Docent likes this.
  18. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My thoughts on the master plan:
    • Asia looks great. Not trying to cram to many large species in. Instead really focusing on smalIer animals which is great. I especially enjoy that the zoo is focusing on birds in this expansion,
    • I really do like the way the zoo is going to merge the rhinos, giraffes and other hoofstock. It appears that that the smaller animals will be able to move between the sections freely (like copenhagen).
    • Will the hippo exhibit be for common hippo or pygmy? I know they said pygmy in the past.
    • Good to see eventually it reverting back to a south america area. Also great to see a longterm commitment from the zoo into Andean bears, who need every space possible.
    • It looks like they are working with Torre Design. Can anyone confirm this?
    Overall looks like a great plan, for this medium sized zoo.

Arizona Docent and StoppableSan like this.
  19. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are working with Torre Design. I am familiar with their rendering drawing style. I have to admit, this is quite exciting, and Torre always does a beautiful job with cultural exhibits (China at Memphis, Okavango Delta at Virginia, etc.)

Arizona Docent and nczoofan like this.
  20. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thats what I thought. I like their exhibits, but sometimes they go a little to big on the architecture in my opinion. Like at Trail of the Tiger at the Virginia Zoo and projects at the Memphis zoo.

I also am enjoying that the slogan for the expansion is "More Room, More Shade, More Play". Most zoos don't need to emphasize the addition of shade, yet given this zoos site it makes sense. Looks like the expansion area has some nice tree cover, so I imagine the zoo will very carefully protect those trees and those already in Africa. Something I wish other zoos would do when building an exhibit.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2018
    Arizona Docent and StoppableSan like this.