Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 23 Feb 2018.

1. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a feeling these small mammal habitats will include binturongs (in Asia) ocelots (in South America, although tayras and ringtails would be nice) and bat eared foxes (in Africa)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ocelots - oh how you tease me! :p

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like their plans and glad the zoo is finally kinda "on the move" now!

4. Erythrogaster

Erythrogaster Well-Known Member

Why do you feel that the zoo has gone downhill?

5. Arizona Docent

The animal collection has dropped by half (500 animals to 250 animals) and a lot of formerly lush exhibits have become barren and/or empty. The king vulture exhibit had the well foliated tree cut down and ugly metal panels installed over half the fencing for the red panda loan (the vultures are now back but the damage is permanent). The new gibbon exhibit (which is now lemur because the gibbons didn't acclimate) has ugly tubes and a jarring metal staircase - completely unnatural but built because transer tubes are the latest craze in American zoos. You can read more on the comments on these two photos from my recent visit:
    american alligator exhibit | ZooChat
    pool and waterfall GONE | ZooChat

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow thats a massive drop in animals. What has the drop in species been like?

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Arizona Docent

A lot of it is in the two walk-in aviaries. The South America aviary used to have over a dozen species and the Flight Connection a couple dozen species. Now there are half a dozen species in each (or so it seemed to me). The guanaco/llama are gone and the capybaras and crested screamers were moved from their (now empty) exhibit to the guanaco yard. The former exhibit had the only underwater capybara viewing I have seen and now that's unused. The macaw island is now empty and the perch removed. The dwarf caiman and pacu (fish) no longer has caiman so only fish are present (with the land area going to waste). The warty pigs were shipped out and the crowned cranes that were mixed with zebra/ostrich were moved into that exhibit. And so on...

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  8. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ugh that does not sound good. So much empty space, yet focusing mostly on expansion rather than maximizing their existing exhibits. Like adding a 3rd large aviary, while the other 2 are underfilled. Also to waste some of those exhibits that seemed perfectly adequate in the South American section is irritating. It seems the zoo has been thinking longterm, yet not have any cohesive plan for the short term. Say if you want to replace the asian section, whats the point of leaving that space empty for years, when you can display more animals and help of SSP's in the mean time.

Also it costs almost nothing to have extra species of bird in each of the aviaries? So why limit their collection, especially if they are planned to stay longterm?

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

snowleopard and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Arizona Docent

Here is a recent article (zoo blog) on current changes and plans. If you don't want to click the link here is a short summary: a new viewing window and perch log have been added to otter exhibit for eye level viewing and more support staff have been added. This includes grounds/maintenance staff and (in my opinion especially crucial) a full time staff veterinarian. Up until now the zoo has always contracted out with a local veterinarian hospital.
    Zoo Sales Tax Dollars Hard at Work Building Bigger Spaces and Creating Smiling Faces, Reid Park Zoo

And here is the page where the zoo posts construction updates: Construction Updates, Reid Park Zoo

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. Arizona Docent

Like many zoos in the United States, Reid Park is currently offering an annual Christmas light display. However they have just announced a new night event that will run in February and March. It's an Asian Lantern Festival (to coincide with Chinese New Year?) that will feature "over 40 colorful, customized lantern displays..."
    Asian Lantern Festival, Reid Park Zoo

13. geomorph

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo had an Asian Lantern Festival this past summer when I visited; I did not see it at night but the giant inflatable lanterns were rather impressive during the day too.

Arizona Docent and StoppableSan like this.
  14. Arizona Docent

I suppose it is easier to have a night event in February-March in Tucson than it is in Cleveland! @geomorph do you have any idea how the attendance was at the Cleveland lantern festival?

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. geomorph

I did not hear if it was well-attended, but I have a friend there that said it was well-advertised.

StoppableSan likes this.